2 Kessil A360X + 2 Reef Brite 48" XHO - 120G Mixed Reef

MoJoe120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm seeking advice from those of you that are using A360X/XHO lighting combo, in regards how you have these blended together. I have a 120G (24"x48"x24") tank with 2 A360x's (Tuna Blue) and I just installed 2 48" Reef Brite XHO's (Actinic Blue) strips. I'm controlling the Kessil's via WiFi dongle/App and Reef Brite's bluetooth controller for the XHO's. My goal is to set this up as a mixed reef (LPS dominant, with a few carefully placed SPS). I currently have no corals. I'm just trying to get things prepared for them.

When I had the 360X's on their own, I had the following settings (per BRS recomnmendation)
- Height: 8" above water line
- Intensity: 75%
- Color: 30%
- Violet: 75%
- Red: 30%
- Green: 0%
(Note: The XHO's are at the same height as the Kessils)

Now that I've added the 2 XHO strips, I assume that the color on the Kessils should be moved up towards the white spectrum, but I'm totally lost with how high I should bump up the color to (50%, 75%, 100%)?. Also, with the 360's set to higher color level, should I also turn down violet and red?

Another concern is, how high should I set the intensity level of the XHO's? Should I just set them to the same level as the Kessils (75%)? Should I lower the insity of the Kessils now they are paired with the XHO's? I believe that once the peak level of the Kessils & XHO's is determined, I can figure out the ramp up/down rates, pretty easily.

Thanks to all of you in advance, for any advice that you're able to provide. Please note that I've only been in this hobby for a feww months now, so be easy on me :) I clearly still have much to learn. And as a reminder, I currently do not have any coral in my system yet, only sand, rock, and fish.

The0wn4g3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I've added the 2 XHO strips, I assume that the color on the Kessils should be moved up towards the white spectrum,
The spectrum settings on the Kessils really don't matter much. Set the blue and violet to 100% during peak hours and set the green and red to what you visually prefer.

Another concern is, how high should I set the intensity level of the XHO's?
I have 2 A360X's and 4x54W T5's on my 75, so similar to your setup but your tank is deeper. I have 1 set of T5's on for 11-6, second set 12-5, Kessils 100% from 1-3. This offsets each light set by 1hrs up and down. I have had no issues with growing SPS in the top 6" of tank with LPS and zoas in the rest. So if I were you I'd treat the XHO's like my T5's.

OP
OP
MoJoe120

MoJoe120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spectrum settings on the Kessils really don't matter much. Set the blue and violet to 100% during peak hours and set the green and red to what you visually prefer.

I have 2 A360X's and 4x54W T5's on my 75, so similar to your setup but your tank is deeper. I have 1 set of T5's on for 11-6, second set 12-5, Kessils 100% from 1-3. This offsets each light set by 1hrs up and down. I have had no issues with growing SPS in the top 6" of tank with LPS and zoas in the rest. So if I were you I'd treat the XHO's like my T5's.
Thank you very much! Very helpful info.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, violet should be 100% during peak hours. I use red and green during peak hours, but only 5% each. I wouldn’t use more than 15% for both though, I think a little goes a long way. Kessil logic has your back in regards to spectrum, so no matter what color % you use, the spectrum will always be of benefit to the animals. So just set it to your preference and enjoy!

OP
OP
MoJoe120

MoJoe120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, violet should be 100% during peak hours. I use red and green during peak hours, but only 5% each. I wouldn’t use more than 15% for both though, I think a little goes a long way. Kessil logic has your back in regards to spectrum, so no matter what color % you use, the spectrum will always be of benefit to the animals. So just set it to your preference and enjoy!
Thank you kindly!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back