2 new fish in QT - Tilefish and Parrot - are they ok?

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey guys. Got two new fish in QT. Picked them up 2 weeks ago and they've been in copper the whole time and are eating well. Not sure what this spot is on the tilefish and if I should worry about the parrotfish's wonky eye.

IMG_9513.jpeg
IMG_9515.jpeg
IMG_9517.jpeg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long have these injuries been present? The tilefish appears to have something extruding through the skin. Is that what you see, or does it appear more like an infection festering?

If the injury to the parrotfish eye is recent, I would observe a day or two for change either to the good or bad. Unless an infection is present, there is a fair chance the eye will clear up on its own.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys. Got two new fish in QT. Picked them up 2 weeks ago and they've been in copper the whole time and are eating well. Not sure what this spot is on the tilefish and if I should worry about the parrotfish's wonky eye.

IMG_9513.jpeg
IMG_9515.jpeg
IMG_9517.jpeg
Tilefish displaying bacterial infection. Parrot, often hard to keep in captivity in many cases. . . I cant see anything. Whilke the tile's could have stemmed from a nick or scratch, it will need treatment. Treatment choices are Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 in a quarantine setting with airstone added for additional oxygen during treatment.
Second would be ruby rally pro which treats an array of issues safely but takes longer
Assure ammonia levels are not elevated and water quality is in safe range

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go back through my pix. I don't remember seeing that spot on the tilefish before and yes... it does look to be protruding like a cut.
The tilefish does look like a cut, but Uronema can show like that as well. I don't know if tilefish can get Uronema or not - sample size is too small. If it isn't Uronema, then a bacterial infection from an injury would be the next thing.

Sorry - I can't see anything on the parrotfish's eye, just the normal iridescence....

Jay

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Tilefish displaying bacterial infection. Parrot, often hard to keep in captivity in many cases. . . I cant see anything. Whilke the tile's could have stemmed from a nick or scratch, it will need treatment. Treatment choices are Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 in a quarantine setting with airstone added for additional oxygen during treatment.
Second would be ruby rally pro which treats an array of issues safely but takes longer
Assure ammonia levels are not elevated and water quality is in safe range
He is currently in QT with the Parrotfish. They are both through 14 days of copper. Is ok to add any of this stuff to the copper? I think I have all of them with the exception of rally pro. Airstone already in there since I also treat with Paracleanse when the copper is done.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He is currently in QT with the Parrotfish. They are both through 14 days of copper. Is ok to add any of this stuff to the copper? I think I have all of them with the exception of rally pro. Airstone already in there since I also treat with Paracleanse when the copper is done.
Paracleanse is for velvet and flukes and wont do much with this. What level copper are you running and how are you monitoring it?
You can use Kanaplex with copper IF you have established biological filter other in lieu of copper you can use Metroplex dosed at .5gm (5000 gm)

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Paracleanse is for velvet and flukes and wont do much with this. What level copper are you running and how are you monitoring it?
You can use Kanaplex with copper IF you have established biological filter other in lieu of copper you can use Metroplex dosed at .5gm (5000 gm)
Copper power - 2.5. testing with hanna checker to keep in therapeutic range.

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So here we are, 21 days into the copper treatment. I have been feeding mysis soaked for 30 min in a mix of kanaplex, focus, vitamarin-m, selcon and garlic guard. The wound was looking a little better, not raised anymore, but i noticed tonight around dinner time the parrotfish was acting strange. Kept an eye on him, he was breathing heavy and not looking good at all. After a bit he was just laying on his side. I pulled him out, dipped him and moved him to my observation tank. I don't think he is going to make it. Tilefish looks fine and is eating fine. The water, however, is looking pretty yellow and cloudy.

How long should i continue the mixture and should i do a water change at some point?

#fishmedics

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So here we are, 21 days into the copper treatment. I have been feeding mysis soaked for 30 min in a mix of kanaplex, focus, vitamarin-m, selcon and garlic guard. The wound was looking a little better, not raised anymore, but i noticed tonight around dinner time the parrotfish was acting strange. Kept an eye on him, he was breathing heavy and not looking good at all. After a bit he was just laying on his side. I pulled him out, dipped him and moved him to my observation tank. I don't think he is going to make it. Tilefish looks fine and is eating fine. The water, however, is looking pretty yellow and cloudy.

How long should i continue the mixture and should i do a water change at some point?

#fishmedics
I would reduce amount of content added to foods.
is this fish still eating?
Without pics or video under white lighting, will be hard to assess
How is breathing rate?
Water quality- what is current ammonia- nitrate-salinity?

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Tilefish is eating like a pig. His breathing rate is fine. The parrotfish was breathing heavy and now, i don't think he is breathing much at all. He might be gone. All the parameters are good, water just looking cloudy from either the selcon, vitamins and/or garlic.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he's gone. Flush another $300 down the toilet. Tilefish is looking great though and he's my most expensive fish so I have to keep him alive!!

So the ammonia in the tank is testing at zero?

Jay

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So the ammonia in the tank is testing at zero?

Jay
I'm going by the badge because I remember you all saying that ammonia tests don't show proper readings while running copper. I can run a test though if you say otherwise. I have API, Salifert and Hanna in addition to the badge.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going by the badge because I remember you all saying that ammonia tests don't show proper readings while running copper. I can run a test though if you say otherwise. I have API, Salifert and Hanna in addition to the badge.
Try the Salifert and Hanna, just for comparison.....when first added, all three copper products will bump the ammonia readings, but after a few days, that should go back to zero.

Jay

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hanna came back .20... BUT... I usually subtract .15 to .17 because that just seems to be how much it's usually off by. Salifert test was clear as was API. The badge is also not showing any ammonia and the tilefish looks to be doing just fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back