2 new juvenile clowns both died

jlandis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer tank been up 2 months... Fishless cycle Dr Tims ammonia and one and only a month before adding fish. have had 3 chromis and 2 pajama cardinals. They are all well and eating rods food and omega flakes. Bought 2 very young juvenile clownfish on Tuesday by Saturday both dead. Zero ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. Chaeto growing like crazy. Water temp 78.1. Is that common and just part of the hobby?

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 75 gallon.. the green chromis and 2 pajama cardinals are young as well.
So its unlikely something was picking on them. Did they appear healthy when you got them and put in the tank? Were they swimming oddly or anything? Thats a pretty quick timeframe to lose 2 fish

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How small were they and How often were you feeding? If I recall juvenile clowns need frequent feedings but that may not be the issue you had.

OP
OP
jlandis33

jlandis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How small were they and How often were you feeding? If I recall juvenile clowns need frequent feedings but that may not be the issue you had.
I was feeding Rod’s Food one a day every other day and omega with garlic flakes the every other day.... both once a day

OP
OP
jlandis33

jlandis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its unlikely something was picking on them. Did they appear healthy when you got them and put in the tank? Were they swimming oddly or anything? Thats a pretty quick timeframe to lose 2 fish
They appeared to go in the tank ok and swimming ok. They didn’t eat best buth thought they were.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They appeared to go in the tank ok and swimming ok. They didn’t eat best buth thought they were.
I added some clowns when they were extremely small, thought it was funny cause how small they were compared to the tank and they didnt eat much the first couple of days, they usually dont. So that being said I would find it hard to believe it was caused from starving. I would check into where you bought them from, most places honor a 7-10 day guarantee on livestock. Something obviously isn't right, especially with no larger aggressive fish in tank with them. I agree with above comment about possible disease. Keep an eye on your other fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How did you acclimate (introduce) the clowns? Hpw long did yu acclimate them
Did they appear to have a haze or mucus on their bodies?
What test kit(s) are you using? Hopefully not API as all zeros with 8 weeks of running seems very unusual.

OP
OP
jlandis33

jlandis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate (introduce) the clowns? Hpw long did yu acclimate them
Did they appear to have a haze or mucus on their bodies?
What test kit(s) are you using? Hopefully not API as all zeros with 8 weeks of running seems very unusual.
I am using api. I floated them for 25 minutes. I didn’t drip them but will if I get more. What test kit do you recommend. It seemed accurate for the complete cycle. I have use them on freshwater tanks for years but new to saltwater. I didnt notice a haze or mucas. To be honest when I pulled them out I looked them over good and didn’t notice anything then either. I appreciate the help

firmefatboy799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like they might have been doomed from the lfs, it happens and with them being young possibly just being put into the display at the lfs then to your tank maybe shock or parasites etc, if the other fish are fine I would chock it up to bad fish, and maybe not use that store in the future

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API won't suit for saltwater long term if you are interested in coral. API is useless for ammonia checks at low levels and nitrate is pretty bad too. Salifert, Red Sea and Hanna Checkers are the go tos. Again, I would prep a QT.

firmefatboy799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and I see above that acclimation might have played a role, them being young even more so, I always float bags then drip acclimate for at least an hour

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back