OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one that was eating mysis yesterday only ate one shrimp today. Neither of them are moving. Is it time for some kind of treatment?

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Paulie. 15-20 years ago it was a common thing to blame pouch emphysema or GBD on bubbles from whatever source including airstones and skimmers. It has since been proven to be false. I don't use airstones, but every seahorse tank I have ever had has always had open ended air lines and many of them with skimmers. It was back in the day when people thought you had to have low water flow to keep seahorses, but then that was also proven to be wrong.
I only mentioned it because I remember reading it on this website when I first joined it’s never happened to me personally but like I said I am definitely not an expert

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm concerned as this is the fourth day now counting the day you picked them up and often if they don't eat for four days they are hard if not impossible to get eating again after that and will need to be tube fed.
We also don't know how long since they ate BEFORE you got them as some shippers hold back on eating before shipping so as not to degrade shipping water faster.
Are you sure they aren't eating amphipods or other pod forms that are likely in your tank?
If not, you will need to get some live food immediately to entice them to eat. Even smallest size fresh water ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp that you can put in the tank one or two at a time as they should live long enough to be eaten if they are going to eat.
Also if you have access to adult live brine you can add some of those also.
You may have to set up a hospital tank with heavy aeration and watch to see how many if any of the food is eaten, live or frozen (count what you put in) and to look for feces that would indicate they have been eating. Just match pH and temp and s.g. of tank water and have hitching available for them.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm concerned as this is the fourth day now counting the day you picked them up and often if they don't eat for four days they are hard if not impossible to get eating again after that and will need to be tube fed.
We also don't know how long since they ate BEFORE you got them as some shippers hold back on eating before shipping so as not to degrade shipping water faster.
Are you sure they aren't eating amphipods or other pod forms that are likely in your tank?
If not, you will need to get some live food immediately to entice them to eat. Even smallest size fresh water ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp that you can put in the tank one or two at a time as they should live long enough to be eaten if they are going to eat.
Also if you have access to adult live brine you can add some of those also.
You may have to set up a hospital tank with heavy aeration and watch to see how many if any of the food is eaten, live or frozen (count what you put in) and to look for feces that would indicate they have been eating. Just match pH and temp and s.g. of tank water and have hitching available for them.

Thanks for the advice. They‘re not even looking for food. I‘ll get some small ghost shrimp at petco today.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the smallest shrimp you can. It doesn't have to be ghost shrimp if you can get smaller size in another species. Ideally not much bigger than adult brine shrimp, or not bigger than the frozen if possible.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the smallest shrimp you can. It doesn't have to be ghost shrimp if you can get smaller size in another species. Ideally not much bigger than adult brine shrimp, or not bigger than the frozen if possible.
Any chance you can get some copepods they love that

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can get some copepods they love that
You have the right guy giving you advice @rayjay has years of experience (hands on) he’s been doing this a long time
I think you meant amphipods? That's a great idea, but I can only get them online.
no I’m talking copepods,, have u herd of them, seahorse cotton candy

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the right guy giving you advice @rayjay has years of experience (hands on) he’s been doing this a long time

no I’m talking copepods,, have u herd of them, seahorse cotton candy
No copepods either, and all the stores are out of ghost shrimp and cherry chrimpo_O:eek:

But I doubt that the one that's not eating mysis would eat even live food, as it hardly responds to me touching it.

I'm trapped...

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some may have had their seahorses eat copepods, but in my experience, as the seahorse gets to the juvenile stage and older, it will seldom if ever take an interest in the copepods because of their small size. In any case if they DO eat them, it takes an inordinate amount to be of any value nutrition wise. Amphipods are a better choice because of their size.
At this point I'd move them to the hospital tank set up as I mentioned, and see if there truly is no eating going on.
You could see if you can overnight brine shrimp adults from livebrineshrimp.com if your store doesn't carry them.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a little bit of hope now. The female seahorse, the one that was eating mysis, is doing better. It ate 4 pieces just now. The other one, I think a male, might be showing some interest. I think I'll hold off for a day or 2 on the hospital tank you suggested.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEEEEEES!!! They both ate frozen mysis! Hopefully they continue to recover. Thanks RayJay and Paulie for the advice.
Wh
YEEEEEES!!! They both ate frozen mysis! Hopefully they continue to recover. Thanks RayJay and Paulie for the advice.
nice keep close eye on em and don’t forget proper WC on a schedule,, keep us posted brother
This is my tank after major crash in may,, I lost 3 fish, 2 seahorses and 30 corals in a matter of two days. I almost quit the hobby

0C8B3A07-EC50-4DC4-96B0-8B5638D9B586.jpeg

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wh

nice keep close eye on em and don’t forget proper WC on a schedule,, keep us posted brother
This is my tank after major crash in may,, I lost 3 fish, 2 seahorses and 30 corals in a matter of two days. I almost quit the hobby

Wow, that's a stunning tank. Love the clean look. You've got to update your build thread!

And very sorry about your losses. I can't even imagine it.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ThePurple12 If you need live food such as saltwater glass shrimp (aka grass shrimp) I can walk down to our marina and catch some. I would think they could survive 2 day shipping. Most are bigger (1” size), but many are with eggs so if you have a spare tank to set up you could breed them.

Fezbearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wh

What fish do you keep in with your sea horses? I'm new to the hobby, and heard it was best to keep them in a species only tank.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you keep in with your sea horses? I'm new to the hobby, and heard it was best to keep them in a species only tank.
Just the seahorses. I had a lawnmower blenny, but she liked to pick the algae off my previous seahorse pair. They got infected as a result and both died. :oops:

There are plenty of peaceful fish you can keep with seahorses, though.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back