2 pairs of clownfish in a 120 tall?

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the fish I ordered online, and I ordered just one pair of black ice clownfish but I was sent 2. Will I be okay with both being added to the tank? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are currently temperature acclimating in my sump

Attachments

• 9A9F91DE-F185-408F-B9CD-0B8C545FCEF3.jpeg
    9A9F91DE-F185-408F-B9CD-0B8C545FCEF3.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 58

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t work. I’d look into keeping 1 pair in a isolation box or sump until you can find them a new home

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris can be keep in group. 4 will be OK especially in a 120 gal tank
How do you go about doing that ? Add them all at once or could you add 2 more clowns to an established pair in a larger tank

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris can be keep in group. 4 will be OK especially in a 120 gal tank
This I'm doing the same with a pair of skunks and a pair of maroons. They can care less about each other. Skunks were already paired from LFS and I paired the maroons.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This I'm doing the same with a pair of skunks and a pair of maroons. They can care less about each other. Skunks were already paired from LFS and I paired the maroons.
IMO, if you put these two pairs together, the maroon pair, specifically the female, will kill the skunk pair when she is a little older and larger.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, if you put these two pairs together, the maroon pair, specifically the female, will kill the skunk pair when she is a little older and larger.

Been that way for a bit now with no issues. The skunks know how to avoid her anemone, but otherwise no issues with both different pairs coexisting. Current config has coexisted for over a year @ this point & the female maroon is easily 3.5-4" long & the male is 2.5 inches or so. The female maroon definitely has established her territory, but otherwise leaves all including the other pair of skunks clowns alone.

I knew it was a risk, but I rolled with it and so far came out on the other side as in previous iterations the maroons pairs I've had were usually hell on wheels to other clowns let alone every other fish that they can tango with size and attitude wise.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been that way for a bit now with no issues. The skunks know how to avoid her anemone, but otherwise no issues with both different pairs coexisting. Current config has coexisted for over a year @ this point & the female maroon is easily 3.5-4" long & the male is 2.5 inches or so. The female maroon definitely has established her territory, but otherwise leaves all including the other pair of skunks clowns alone.

I knew it was a risk, but I rolled with it and so far came out on the other side as in previous iterations the maroons pairs I've had were usually hell on wheels to other clowns let alone every other fish that they can tango with size and attitude wise.
Very interesting. You don’t have pictures of these clownfishes? I would love to see them. Thanks

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill give you a recent video. If you look both pairs of clowns are visible and are NOT fighting, they are fairly dismissive of each other.

Like I said I'm doing it and I'm not new to this reefing stuff. You want stills, I have to feed after lights on, on a remote cam and record from there as I'm traveling for work currently. I tend to defy convention when it comes to reefing 'rules'.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am traveling and not able to view the video.
That is very interesting. Maroon clown are very beautiful but because of their aggressive nature from my previous experience with the white bar Maroon I was hesitant to keep them in my mixed reef tank.
how large is your tank? Are they gold band Maroon clown? These from what people wrote are a little less aggressive. I have not keep them other a white band many years ago.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both varieties of maroons in pairs lightning maroons (gold) and standard maroons (white) and I agree the temperament is usually poor towards any fish, especially other clownfish. Currently its not the case @ all. I only have an 120g tank, 48"x24"x24". The current pair of maroons are standard white and the skunks are the more common orange variety.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back