Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Just wanted to get an idea what people are doing. I"ve been running my 29 gallon biocube for over a year now, and have been having decent growth, but not the type of growth I"d like, especially on my SPS, and LPS such as my hammer corals.

I think i'm going to start dosing 2 part (ESV), and was just curious what everyone else is doing.

Thanks!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Just wanted to get an idea what people are doing. I"ve been running my 29 gallon biocube for over a year now, and have been having decent growth, but not the type of growth I"d like, especially on my SPS, and LPS such as my hammer corals.

I think i'm going to start dosing 2 part (ESV), and was just curious what everyone else is doing.

Thanks!

LOL, I was just typing. Have you tested your Alkalinity over a period of time. That will help you calculate how much is being used by corals and coralline.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a Jebao DP-2 for the past couple of months dosing 2 Part. Works well and Alkalinity is dead on.

I tried Kalkwasser in the ATO and it was too inconsistent.

EDIT. It is a 45 gallon AIO.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
used two of them actually for about 2 years. For the price I dont think you can beat the Jaebo. It may not be dead on accurate like the higher end models but four heads at $60 or $70 it does its job. Comes with an extra head should you need it. I did need to replace one of mine with the spare but otherwise no burnt out motors or anything.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
About to start this myself in my 29 and my son's 32 in the near future. I'm looking forward to seeing what you work out with yours. I'm going to use the same as Scurvy did.

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not dose in my Nano, but I also don't keep SPS.

When doing a water change, I put two drops of Brightwell Coral Amino in the water while I'm mixing, and then add to the tank. So if you consider that dosing, that is all I do.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use apex doser with ESV, but the key is testing, one to make sure your doser is dosing correctly but the 2nd is to adjust, I have to increase the amount dosed about once ever 2 weeks. As sps grow it will be a bigger block absorbing nutrients from the water

RFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 gallon IM Lagoon AIO and dose ESV B-Ionic two part with an Apex and Neptune DOS. Works like a charm and super easy to set.

I agree with bronxreef though that testing is the key. You only need to dose two part if your corals are taking up Alkalinity and Calcium faster than you can replenish them with water changes. The only way to determine that is by testing your Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium levels each week to see if they are slipping or staying within the range where you want them to be.

An alternative to dosing, and a lot cheaper too, might be to change your salt mix to one that has elevated levels of Alkalinity and Calcium right at the start. Red Sea Pro (black bucket) and I think Instant Ocean Reef Crystals are two well known brands that fit that description. They might give you just enough extra Alkalinity and Calcium to satisfy your coral's demand and get you to the next water change for replenishment. That said, changing salt mix just isn't as exciting as getting all that new dosing gear! LOL.

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An alternative to dosing, and a lot cheaper too, might be to change your salt mix to one that has elevated levels of Alkalinity and Calcium right at the start. Red Sea Pro (black bucket) and I think Instant Ocean Reef Crystals are two well known brands that fit that description. They might give you just enough extra Alkalinity and Calcium to satisfy your coral's demand and get you to the next water change for replenishment. That said, changing salt mix just isn't as exciting as getting all that new dosing gear! LOL.

If he's aiming for SPS or even LPS in a 29g, he might want to aim for more stability rather than a spike during water change. We ran into the Alk spike with RC and ended up having to mix RC & IO to avoid an Alk spike right after our WC.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, thanks for your feedback - I wasn't getting the notifications for this over the weekend.

@RFL , I actually do use black bucket Red Sea salt, and do water changes every 2 weeks. I'll be checking my levels prior to when I begin dosing, but due to $$, I'll be manually dosing depending on uptake. Looking at everything, I'm assuming my lake of growth on certain corals is due to lower levels of Alk/Calcium.

Those of you using the APEX Dos, are you all using them with the full on Apex, or are you using it standalone?

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried dosing Kalkwasser via a dosing pump? I just ordered some 1.1ml brs dosing pumps. Was considering doing small doses of kalk with those.

Just curious if anyone has done that before. More consistency than with ATO.

Thanks!

crawling junk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone tried dosing Kalkwasser via a dosing pump? I just ordered some 1.1ml brs dosing pumps. Was considering doing small doses of kalk with those.

Just curious if anyone has done that before. More consistency than with ATO.

Thanks!

I used to does kalkwasser with brs1.1ml pump. Used apex and dosed it around the clock. I was going through 650 ml of fully saturated kalk in 7 days.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a GHL doser I have 6 of them all networked together dosing and Ato work on my aquariums. I love the reliability and networking of the units and expand on their use all the time. I have found that dosing by hand is too unreliable. The person that doses my tank gets lazy and misses dosing. So I fired him and I only let him fill containers anymore.:)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to dose by hand because my numbers keep changing a little . It's easier for me to add another ML with a syringe than constantly resetting a dosser all the time.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to does kalkwasser with brs1.1ml pump. Used apex and dosed it around the clock. I was going through 650 ml of fully saturated kalk in 7 days.

I've only got a 25 gallon nano so I'll need to do some testing. I don't anticipate I'll need anything close.

Does anyone have the math for how much alk/calc the kalkwasser provides?

CamInDFW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a single channel doser and utilize Tropic Marin All For Reef. As we (those that have smaller tanks) don't have to dose as much; I find this to be very cost effective. I use the Zetlight D100 wifi dosing pump I picked up from BRS and a Marine Color storage container that I picked up from Amazon. All told.. right around $100. I have found the setup to be accurate and you can dose up to 6 times a day. PM me if you have any questions about the products.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a single channel doser and utilize Tropic Marin All For Reef. As we (those that have smaller tanks) don't have to dose as much; I find this to be very cost effective. I use the Zetlight D100 wifi dosing pump I picked up from BRS and a Marine Color storage container that I picked up from Amazon. All told.. right around $100. I have found the setup to be accurate and you can dose up to 6 times a day. PM me if you have any questions about the products.

Shoot, wish i had seen that doser sooner!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back