2 piece aquarium stand (steel)

Frosted_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!!

I have been collecting the pieces and am getting ready to start my upgrade. I will be starting a build thread soon but I don’t want to start off the thread with a question.

My new tank is 96”x 30”deep and 24” tall made from 1/2” acrylic. I frequently have to move (military) so mobility is a major factor when designing this system. I am going to weld up the stand and have it powder coated as a first step. I am looking to have the stand 38” tall as I really enjoy that height.

After helping a freind the other weekend move his 8’ tank I got to thinking that if the stand was two pieces it might make moving it a lot easier. The idea was to make 2 identical 48x30x37” sections that would sit on top of a single piece of 3/4” plywood. On top of those stands I would put another piece of 3/4” plywood with neoprene mat to support the bottom of the tank.

Has anyone done anything similar to this? I searched but can’t find anything like this. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work unless I am missing something. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're welding it up just design it with some plates so the 2 halves can bolt together...i'd trust that a lot more than 2 separate freestanding units

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water weight of a 96x30x24 will hold it all down. Level it and prime it before u paint it. Lol. Ur stand being tall just be careful of it being top heavy. Tipsy. Lol.
D

OP
OP
Frosted_reef

Frosted_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will make the skin panels in one piece, they won’t be that hard to move. Getting a 8’ steel rectangle around corners can be difficult especially when it’s 30” wide!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back