2 questions about acans from someone who's never owned them

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mature 65 gallon tank with some easier softies and I'm looking at getting some more corals, and I happened to see something people do with Acans where they put them on the sandbed and it forms this really cool looking dome shape. I want to do this but I have two concerns. Are they just placed on the sandbed on a frag plug and allowed to grow out, or are they first secured to a piece of rock and then put on the sandbed. Second, I have a Diamond Goby and I'm wondering if this would immediately rule out this idea. I'm not really concerned about him burying the acans since he's pretty tidy and likes dumping his sand in these two specific spots in the tank, but I'm worried he might try tunneling under the acans and potentially flipping them or even getting himself stuck. If someone could clear up these questions I would really appreciate it.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they will definitely dome on a plug, but might be better to glue them on a piece of rock or a tile. I would probably not put them on the sandbed with a diamond goby. I find sand really irritates them although slightly better than something like a scoly.

They don't mind touching (assuming we are talking about lords), so you could just glue them on the rock work to create an acan garden.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glue mine to a frag disk and then place them on the sand bed, that way they can’t really fall or get flipped. They do ok with sand

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size frag disk would you recommend?
I have got one of mine on a large tile. But you shouldn’t go crazy, 2 inches is good enough. Just anything that would lay flat on the sand and would be hard for it to topple over.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got one of mine on a large tile. But you shouldn’t go crazy, 4 inches is good enough. Just anything that would lay flat on the sand and would be hard for it to topple over.
Where do you get ones that big, I've been looking but I can't find any coral tiles bigger than 1.5 inches

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get ones that big, I've been looking but I can't find any coral tiles bigger than 1.5 inches
I apologize I follow the metric system and thought 4 inches is small :confused-face: the one I linkedis What I use

OP
OP
T

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize I follow the metric system and thought 4 inches is small :confused-face: the one I linkedis What I use
Gotcha, thanks for the link. Just got to find a way to stop my Goby from digging under it, probably just going to attach the tile to a chunk of dry rock or something.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine, it started as one single polyp almost 4 years ago. I glued it to a small DIY flat rock, now its about the size of a baseball.

1684187425536.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back