2 Questions: what to watch or read/AIO vs sump

rnbaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to learn as much as I can before I actually purchase the tank and get started. I have watch BRS 5 minute guide a couple times and I’m well through the 52 Weeks of Reefing, I have a notebook full of notes from those videos. I have also watched other videos and read a lot. Any other suggestions on videos, websites, or literature? I have read a ton on here since joining. I just want to be semi prepared and I’m in no rush, I want to do this correctly.

Also, my plan was an AIO. Are these good for beginners? My biggest problem that I have researched with the AIO is that it would be difficult to do a refugium or UV sterilizer. I was planning on the AIO Red Sea Max E 260 (56g DT) which can be plumbed later on with a sump. The sump options I could look at are the Red Sea Reefer XL 300 (65 g DT) or a IM Nuvo 75 INT which it says total water volume is 75 gallon but I’m not sure of the size of the DT. I have to be honest the plumbing that goes with a sump scares me . Will I notice a huge difference from 56 g to 65 g DT? I’m not 100% sure of what fish I would exactly want. But is there a huge difference in the fish I could put in the 65 vs the 56 (I know hard questions when I’m not sure what I want yet)? I would eventually do corals, but that is way down the line. Also, open to looking at other tanks, but the space is only 43” in length. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy one and do it. Nothing like learning by experience. They way I did it (am doing it since I’m new still) was to get AIO so I could concentrate more on learning how to take care of water quality and get started faster. I also moved faster than recommended with corals and such. Cheap ones. I figured don’t be afraid of a problem that comes up. That’s when you really learn. When you have an issue and you’ll rewatch everytbing about it anyway. Don’t worry about being too prepared. Jump in. Start having fun.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great that you are doing all this research before starting. I’m into this hobby one year, starting with a 34 gallon RSR 170 and 4 months later getting 88 gallon RSR 425 XL. Highly recommend getting biggest aquarium possible from start.

My recommendation is sump over AIO just for flexibility options. Also recommend refugium running chaeto. Found all the best coral sellers in my area ran them! And great move wanting UV light - definitely helps keep water clear and problem bacteria at bay.

Here’s my aquarium one year later:

05340A10-EDC4-4E54-9E5E-A4EA81D74279.jpeg

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! I commend you for doing so much research first. This is not a simple pastime and it requires a lot of knowledge, commitment, and patience to be successful---not to mention significant monetary investment and/or serious bargain hunting. All that being said, I wouldn't let what seems like mind-boggling complexity at this point bog you down. Sounds like you've done enough basic research. I'd say it's time to jump in! I agree with @fachatga sentiments above (and also with starting with cheap livestock).

AIO is a fine way to start, but I'd recommend going with a sump. It gives a lot more flexibility now and in the future, maximizes DT volume, and increases total system volume. Don't be afraid of plumbing either. Of all the things to worry about in this hobby, plumbing is one of the easiest and cheapest things to learn/do. If you want to go cheap/simple on this route, go with a plain glass box DT aquarium. Buy an HOB overflow box. Run plumbing to/from that to smaller plain glass aquarium in your stand (your "sump"). In the sump, have a return pump, an in-sump skimmer, heater, and a cheap filter sock assembly (to catch detritus from the tank flow). Other than lights and whatever supplementary circulation you want in the DT, that's the basic setup.

As time goes on, you can add whatever you want to experiment with to the sump or sump area (or DT). No need to try everything at once (UV, media reactors, etc.). Start with the basics and just get going.

Final unsolicited words of questionable wisdom:
- Go as big as you can fit for the DT
- Sump itself doesn't have to be huge to start (or one of those expensive jobs)---but make sure you have plenty of space in the sump area of the stand. It's amazing how quickly that real estate gets crowded with gadgets, etc.
- Don't spend a fortune on fancy stuff at the beginning. The only two things I wouldn't skimp on right now would be lights and the DT itself.
- Make sure you put a ground wire anywhere there is live electrical equipment in water (hard lesson learned)

Good luck! Please post a build thread so I can follow along!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back