OP
M

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I am learning everything you just said above about waiting and get the better then getting what you can and such.

My DT needs and overhauling and I plan on doing that after I get my frag tank set up. I want to get the frag tank up. Running. And doing/being as it should. Then go back to my DT and probably upgrade everything I have.

Okay, now here is where I get lost. Whats the DIY ones? I am pretty handy and honestly enjoy making stuff for my tank more then anything else I think. But when I looked at doing a DIY light before I got a bit overwhelmed. If I had some good solid instructions I know I could do it.

I get confused about retro fit and this and that... that stuff all confuses me. Btw, remember my tank doesnt have a canopy and is open top... If that makes a difference?

I know I want something that is "green" Im not trying to kill my electric bill.. Haha. But something that will look nice and that will make my babies grow.

Edit*
Okay IceCap's are MH lighting which I know is super nice but, I dont want to kill the electric bill. That would not be nice. I think I want to stick with T5s.

Also, what should I look for in fixtures when I'm shopping for one? Im sure I should be looking for individual reflectors but what else?

Last edited:

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this thread, I made my own fixture using Aluminum from www.mcmaster.com

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14410&highlight=Current

Here is a link to the DIY Retro from IceCap, basically you could just suspend this, or make legs to set it on the tank rim.

https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=55_89&products_id=453
This one includes bulbs, but you do the wiring, it is easy.

https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=55_139&products_id=833
This one is fully assembled and includes a frame where the bulbs and reflectors are mounted to, basically this one you just screw in to a canopy, or put legs on. It does not include bulbs though.

OP
OP
M

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading your DIY thread... but was curious about how much would you say in all did this light fixture cost you... minus the bulbs of course. Just the fixture?

Edit*
You know I probably have the cheapest made ever T5 lights for my tank. I have taken them apart for the most part and realized I paid a lot of money for something that was pretty basic and simple. I am going to read some more of these DIY projects and see if I feel like I can get the hang of doing one.

Edit* I just got to the part where you said how much you had invested. No need to answer that.
But I'm sure I will have more questions in a bit. Just give the hamster in my head some time to turn the wheel.

Last edited:

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In materials, I would estimate $150. That includes the sheet stock, and all the stainless steel screws...

OP
OP
M

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I like what I am seeing and honestly it doesnt look to bad either. I might be able to pull off making a light fixture for my tank. I still dont know how I would attach it to my tank. I can't hand anything above my tanks because of the ceiling fan and the tray ceiling.

Any suggestions on feet? Btw, Im still reading about DIY lights. Im pretty interested now. If I can make a nice small one for the frag tank... I might DIY one for the big tank too. I love DIY projects!

Edit*
Okay, got questions. Why would I DIY one if it costs more to make then one I could just buy ready to go off the shelf? What am I missing that makes the DIY one more money then the pre-made one? Also, on your DIY light, do you have seperate switches for the blues/whites? I would like to be able to do that if possible.

Found feet for the light but no pictures of what they actually look like. Grr!

Last edited:

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, it was something I wanted to do, not to save money. Now, that being said, I can't get a fixture that looks like mine off the shelf. The ATI's are close, but don't use IceCap ballasts.

As for the 2 switches, of course! ;) Actually I use 3 plugs on my Reefkeeper for the lighting now, 1 for the fans, 1 for the actinics, and 1 for the mains. The actinics and fans come on first, an hour later the mains, then the mains go off, then the actinics, then 30 minutes later the fans. Works great for me!

OP
OP
M

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if it seems like I am asking a bunch of questions.
On my DT I currently have a 4 bulbs 48" T5 light. Its open at the bottom ... and no fans.
I dont think the 4 bulbs really get the bottom of my tank and do plan on going to 6 bulbs when I upgrade. It has 3 plugs, moons, blues, and whites. I have tried different timers on them but so far, not happy with any. Why can't light ppl just build timers into the fixture? What besides the stuff I just said above.. What makes one brand of fixture better then the other. What makes the ATI better then say a SunDial or something else? I have decided my next lights will have fans and a shield thing on the bottom to protect the bulbs. Nothing worse then banging your wrist on HOT bulbs. I swear...

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ballasts and reflectors! Next is cooling.

If you don't have the parabolic reflectors for each bulb, then you are really losing out on PAR. I like the IceCap brand best myself, but the TEK is nice too.

If you do some digging, you will find an optimum temp for the T5 lamps, I forget what it is, but I think it is around 95-110 F but I am not sure.

If you do IceCap, they are overdriven by the ballast, meaning MORE POWER is pumped into each bulb, but active cooling is required.

OP
OP
M

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The set I currently have does have a reflector for each bulb. Its just open where the bulbs are, has no fans to cool it, and I dont think 4 bulbs are making it to the bottom. Thats why I was thinking of upgrading it.

Ugh. dang lights! Why do they all got to be so complicated? Lights, then light bulbs, and then skimmers. I swear are the devil. There are just to many out there. To many opinions and to much stuff to figure out.

Ill be back shortly. I feel like my head is going to explode from reading all these different light things. Also might call some of these places and ask them lil questions like, how many switches does it have? Does it have moonlights? Little things like that.

Maybe I will have to go DIY just so I can get all the things I am wanting in one light. Goodness!

Edit*
Which is better in the ATI's? The Power Modules? Or the SunPowers?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rly? Well I am going to look at them some more then. I was reading the pages you gave me and they made it sound like the SunPower was the better of the two.

Very interesting. I called the LFS from the website and asked the girl a couple of questions but she didn't have any idea and had to go find the product on the shelf and look. I told her I would call her back later about it.

So the PowerMod one is better. Well hmmm....
I still havent talked myself out of doing a DIY one yet either. Just looking at options and comparing prices right now.

If I dont have SPS do I really need this light?
Would it be to much light possibly for my other stuff? Like shrooms, LPS, and the likes?
Is there such a thing as to much light?
How long should T5 bulbs last?
What brand of bulbs would you guys recommend?

Omg, if someone doesnt post soon Im gonna have a massive post of questions!

Last edited:

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I dont have SPS do I really need this light?

For the best color of paly's and Zoa's, yes I would say that 4 T5's is a good idea.

Would it be to much light possibly for my other stuff? Like shrooms, LPS, and the likes?

Nah... I am sure you will find that most LPS and softies will handle more light then we give them credit for. (Well except Acan's and Chalice's, they seem to prefer VERY low light.)

Is there such a thing as to much light?

Yes, but this is not anywhere near that.

How long should T5 bulbs last?

12 to 18 months.

What brand of bulbs would you guys recommend?

I like ATI, UVL, and Geismann.

Omg, if someone doesnt post soon Im gonna have a massive post of questions!

To late for that!

OP
OP
M

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Great posts above.
Thanks for the help... Totally!

I don't plan on having acans nor chalice's. I honestly don't care for them much. Well chalice's I don't. The look like blobs of chewed chewing gum on frag plugs. They don't call it Bazooka Joe for nothing right?

Okay. Time to start saving my pennies for the light fixture.
What would you guys recommend for the 24" 4 bulb combo?
And what would you guys recommend for the 48" 6 bulb combo?

As always, thank you very much for all the help and such.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A really simple bulb combo that works very well is a 50/50 mix of ATI Aquablue Specials and ATI Blue + bulbs.

If that is to blue, then switch out one of the aquablue specials for a UVL 75-25 bulb.

OP
OP
M

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Thank you so much for answering all my questions. I do appreciate it.

Haha, next topic will be skimmers.

OP
OP
M

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that whole thread on that skimmer. You're new baby.

But...

I dont think that will work with my tank. I got a bunch of questions and need help figuring out how to get what I need... where I need it to go.. or how to make it work... that sorta thing...
I'll explain later. Off to bed for the night. Goodnight.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back