2 Red Sea Skimmer questions: Tuning and Loud GULP sound

Murdock_Magoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All. I have two issues:

I have had a hard time "tuning" the skimmer even though it is broken in and have collected skim with it. Problem seems to be that as water evaporates the microbubbles move farther down the base. then when ATO happens (and only to previous level, it triggers the skimmer to have cup fill super fast causing it to overflow. Ideally could someone share a picture with the spot where i want the bubble level to rest in the neck? if i tune to let more water in, it obvi. rest at top of neck and slightest adjustment can send it to go AWOL. adverse the lower the less likely i get skim.

The sound of the pump is fine it isnt that loud, but i do also get this LOUD GULP sound every 20min or so (even though skimmer is at proper water level and up on eggcrate). One of the blk screws was missing so I dont know if this is the cause, nor could i find any post with anyone mentioning similar issue. But has anyone had or heard something similar? if its as simple as the 1 missing plastic screw then i will find a replacement screw.

Thanks for the help!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, we would need a photo of the skimmer and where it is in the sump when the water level is correct. Next, how is your ATO set up? It should be set up or you should have one that keeps the level constant. Additionally, the skimmer should be in a compartment in your sump that does not change levels as evaporation occurs, so clear photos of the sump and all plumbing would help us help you. The "gulp" may be air getting trapped somewhere and when enough accumulates it releases from wherever it is collecting.

OP
OP
M

Murdock_Magoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
69B2DCC8-273E-45E3-9322-F9344AEB49A8.jpeg

here is photo of sump it’s the Red Sea V3 for 300xl

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your water level stay constant in the skimmer area? I have the same skimmer and even though my baffle failed it seems to be working well enough on just the ATO maintains level. Not ideal but good enough. My sump is a 29 with about 18 gallons of water.

Maybe your fresh water is going on too close to the skimmer and changing the composition of the water?

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of mine. Noticed my red water level sticker sits at least an inch above the water. My collection cup is filthy but the bubble break about half way up the cup.

Attachments

• 6E3BF65B-00DE-43EF-9BC2-7EE89C12F1C4.jpeg
    6E3BF65B-00DE-43EF-9BC2-7EE89C12F1C4.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 37
  • D164239F-F6C1-4581-928D-DDED4A95DD44.jpeg
    D164239F-F6C1-4581-928D-DDED4A95DD44.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 54

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind you, now that I think about it my water is probably an 1" low because the baffle failed and I didn't adjust the ATO. Still seems to work but I guess I should raise the level a little. On that topic and I'm sure the answers vary but how often should a collection cup be dumped? I feel I get a good balance of skim material by setting things to fill the cup every 7-10 days or should the target be something different. Sorry for the partial threadjack but the info might be useful to others with red sea skimmer.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back