2 SPS issue for the experts

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my sps tank going great for over 2 yrs but in the last month or two I started finding some issue.. To start off w/th My Hippo Tang started eating a scoly I had in the tank I removed the scoly until I could catch the hippo w/th no luck the fish is still in there. So that leads me to my first question.

I've been finding white bald spots on my sps in random places and it happens over night almost. it looks like what would happen if you drop some kalk on them just a random solid white skeleton about the size of a jelly bean. Do you think the hippo could start eating sps now ????

Problem 2 is one of my oldest colonies went from bright green w/th pink on it to brown in a couple of wks. I started looking and the colony above it is shading it some but not completly my next thought was phosphates they were detectable which is a first but none of the other coral or showing any poroblems

So experts chime in w/th some good ideas

brand new lights , big skimmer , every 2wks water changes etc....

CONSTANTNE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you see sps start browning out and bleaching in spots it can be AEFW (acro eating flatworms).

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some revive, flatworm exit or some other dip... take the acro that looks the worst and blast it with the turkey baster in this dip and check to see if anything can be seen comming of the acro!... look closely and search for some pics of AEFW so you have an idea what you would be looking for! those bald spots may very likely be the AEFW bite marks!!!

OP
OP
BHAMR6

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what AEFW look like also to I have not added a coral to my tank in over a yr exept for the scoly so unless they would have rode in on a scoly I dont see it being AEFW.. I mean dont get me wrong i see your point behind it but all my sps are larger colonies that are past encrusted to the rock so taking them out to dip is not able to happen..
Also to these spots show up over night not there last night there tonight kinda thing

Its also doing it on one of my monti's on the other side of the tank thats why I tho8ught something that could move around the tank like the fish..

Kataro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say stalk your tank at night w/ a flashlight and see if you can't find whatever is causing the damage. I had something like this done to one of my SPS... problem was gone in about 3 weeks and the coral recovered. I figured it might a worm or something that's eating it, not really sure though

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be a crab fwiw i know you didnt add anything recently but i have friends find crabs in there tanks 2 or 3 years down the road they never knew about... start watching at night with a flashlight like some suggested....

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just out of curiosity what is your alk, mag, and calcium at???? you should also post some pics before and after if you can, just my .02

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also wouldn't count out your hippo, but he will never do it while your around...so you would have to watch him when he thinks your not watching...try peeking at the tank from another room and watch him

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back