2" Sq Tube Stand (48x24) footprint

• Thread starter member 99594
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

member 99594

View Badges
Hey all,

I am currently planning a stand build and I wanted to know if what I have below would be sufficient for a 120 Gallon tank (48x24x25)

I was going to use 2" Sq Tube 1/8th wall. Will I need more supports or should I be fine?

Stand.jpg

Stand.jpg

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have it fabricated differently then you show. I would have 2 frames made using mitered corners and then put the legs between them. That way the load goes directly into the legs from the horizontals.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think welders will tell you that once welded, it really doesn't matter if the horizontal is a butt joint or resting on top, mitered, or whatever. It's all one piece of metal after welding. I would want a 3/4" sheet of plywood on top just to give you a 'ceiling' inside the stand - handy for screwing things, hanging, etc. Best thing I did on my last stand is put formica on the plywood.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 1/8 2x2 you could park a car on it. You could EASILY get by with 1/16th thick steel. I literally drove half of my tundra on a steel 1/8 frame with the same load design as yours. (4' span).

Cheers.

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned the horizontals on top of the verticals as more of a deflection thing... but with .125 it really doesn't matter I guess lol!

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned the horizontals on top of the verticals as more of a deflection thing... but with .125 it really doesn't matter I guess lol!
It will make it much easier to get a level surface if you make two frames with mitered corners and the legs between them.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have it fabricated differently then you show. I would have 2 frames made using mitered corners and then put the legs between them. That way the load goes directly into the legs from the horizontals.

Ahh, I looked at the drawing and see what you are saying. Struturally it should be about the same but that is absolutely how i would go about building it. You weld up two frames on a nice flat surface, then weld the legs between them.

cc03cobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so im a welder for the us army like stated above you want the tank as flat as possible who ever welds it make sure they either miter the corners and grid flush or leave the top of the joint unwelded. you can even use 1/8 alum for that size tank. if you have any question just ask.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back