2 week old tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I certainly do not think "patience" is the " universal fixer" and to argue otherwise is clearly ignoring the context of the comment and advice for the sake of argument. I don't get you guys that want to argue just for the sake of it.

The clear context here is/was getting started in the hobby and getting your system stocked.
Um maybe you missed it - IMHO - I think patience is not a big issue

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly do not think "patience" is the " universal fixer" and to argue otherwise is clearly ignoring the context of the comment and advice for the sake of argument. I don't get you guys that want to argue just for the sake of it.

The clear context here is/was getting started in the hobby and getting your system stocked.

I was speaking generally, not directly to you, hence the lack of a direct quote. I am on topic. OP was told to have more patience repeatedly. I am pointing out the danger of answering generally and ignoring the information presented.

I'll add that you engaged me first by direct quoting me, telling me you disagree with me, then commenting on something completely different. So I'm not sure how I'm the one looking for the fight.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look what howaboutme did with dry rock in a nano: graduated it to a bigger tank in full perfection in a year :)

Bob Ross types could make tin cans turn into a reef tank / awesome.

that's also a hidden plug for testless reef tank cycling only using the # of days underwater as the measurement for when to start. that's a no bottle bac used full reef tank cycle on dry rocks with full prevention of all hitchhikers.

ammonia testing was simply not used on that reef tank, as a dry rock start/very much updated cycling science there.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nb4 old cycling science.

he simply never had an issue, that's why the pics I'm about to elicit will be of a totally normal looking reef tank.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are too many variables to even comment. Your headaches indicated that you did something wrong. There is no magic number, 4 weeks with dry sand/rock and the lights on is a recipe to ow algae for sure.

Pouring in bacteria and a bottle of ammonia may speed things along via a kickstart, but you still don’t have a mature system (by any stretch) in 4 weeks. At best you are a few weeks ahead of the dry start folks… but the point all of you arguing about one method vs the other are missing is that every system will undergo drastic changes over the first year or two, regardless of how it was started and what you do or do not add.
My headaches indicate something went wrong indeed……the ugly stage, The stress of parameter swings and dry rock wreaking havoc on my phosphates, the difficulties of keeping parameters stable etc etc etc not to mention the GHA. Could have avoided all that had I used an established biome. I took it slow hoping to learn the ropes…..sometimes learning new things isn’t worth the effort.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My headaches indicate something went wrong indeed……the ugly stage, The stress of parameter swings and dry rock wreaking havoc on my phosphates, the difficulties of keeping parameters stable etc etc etc not to mention the GHA. Could have avoided all that had I used an established biome. I took it slow hoping to learn the ropes…..sometimes learning new things isn’t worth the effort.

So each "method" has its pros/cons and ways to avoid some of the uglies. Starting with live rock is not a magic fix all and has its own set of problems and can just as easily end up in a really bad state if mistakes are made.

I started the current tank ~20 years ago with dry (marco) rock and cup or so of live sand. I was able to avoid ugly (I don't count a week of diatoms and cyano ugly) and it was not until several years (maybe as far as 2007) later when I swapped a LOT of my rock for Live Fiji rock that I ran into my first big set of problems.

There are so many variables. Each and every system will be different, but in most cases, with good advice and patience, you can avoid the uglies or outright crashes. The neat part about this hobby is that all these years (20+ reefs, 30+ Saltwater) is that there is something new to learn every day.

I will also say, that you will not find a long term reef aquarist that has not fought the uglies, total crashes or other disasters, If they say they haven't they are full of BS. "Patience" is not the fix all, but it is a virtue for long term success in reefing and my advice is to get used to it early on.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, and r2r prides itself on no drama. What I see here are a bunch of little kids trying to prove they are correct. For those of you with all the badges your the worst. My blank is bigger than yours is very high school. Go back and read what you posted here. If you don't hold your head is shame then you really have a screw loose, and for the Johny come lately's out there you just want to pick a fight.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just so my opinion is clear - Patience with anything is important. Building a house Building a FOWLR, Building a reef tank. There is no question about that - and no debate, Some - want to pretend(IMHO) - that you have to take 6 weeks to build a stand and 6 weeks to choose a tank, 6 weeks to do a leak test for the poly-colored plumbing in the garage etc - IMHO, Buy a trusted tank/stand manufacturer fill it - make sure there are no leaks, Fill it with RODI saltwater (mixed) - add bacteria - and a SMALL compared to the volume of fish (after QT - whether at the LFS or your house) - Then feed lightly, not a ton - don't keep feeding until the fish nibbles - leaving a ton of food on the bottom - without siphoning - just slowly increase it. Then add more fish slowly - after QT - to the tank, imo this is not anything new - or novel - it's common sense. If you use bacteria at the start or wait 6-9 months (or less) - who cares - the results are the same,

EDIT. QT your fish or buy from a source that does

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rtr gives me unending cycle troubleshoots
it's free patterning over and over

We get to learn about fish survival rates from this energy

Notice they all turn out with the same answer? Neat pattern there

Rtr is amazing to allow this level of discourse on the matter vs just shutting the thread down.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So each "method" has its pros/cons and ways to avoid some of the uglies. Starting with live rock is not a magic fix all and has its own set of problems and can just as easily end up in a really bad state if mistakes are made.

I started the current tank ~20 years ago with dry (marco) rock and cup or so of live sand. I was able to avoid ugly (I don't count a week of diatoms and cyano ugly) and it was not until several years (maybe as far as 2007) later when I swapped a LOT of my rock for Live Fiji rock that I ran into my first big set of problems.

There are so many variables. Each and every system will be different, but in most cases, with good advice and patience, you can avoid the uglies or outright crashes. The neat part about this hobby is that all these years (20+ reefs, 30+ Saltwater) is that there is something new to learn every day.

I will also say, that you will not find a long term reef aquarist that has not fought the uglies, total crashes or other disasters, If they say they haven't they are full of BS. "Patience" is not the fix all, but it is a virtue for long term success in reefing and my advice is to get used to it early on.
Except the patience part - (if one knows what they are doing) - totally agree:)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day I'm seen typing: your cycle is only halfway done that's a sign my account has been hacked

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone! Please keep personal attacks and insults out of this thread and off of R2R. We take our "Be nice!" rule seriously (Please see our Terms of Service). We have had to remove a few posts already.

BigTimeIssues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This same back and forth happened on a thread I started once when asking about carbon dosing. My tank was/is young and was told I shouldn't carbon dose and didnt talk about the merits or drawbacks of different types of carbon dosing. It sucks to see this happen.

The fish looked sick to me. I'm no vet so I can't name the exact disease based on pictures, but could be from any number of issues. The OP says there is no ammonia or nitrite present. If this is the case then I'd suspect the issue is just a disease that has been dormant has started showing symptoms or some damage from previous stays in different tanks has become an issue and now is causing this fish some distress. Just because he didn't cycle for 6 weeks doesn't mean this is the issue. Maybe it is.. just stop arguing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the high school banter but has anyone seen test results that prove either disease or immature stocking prior to being fully cycled ?

any bacteria states instant cycle and can add fish the same day but in reality … who would honestly purchase a $100 fish and a $10 bottle of bacteria and expect all to be well ?
Being an explosive hobby wouldn’t anyone want to be sure the environment the new fish are added to is safe to sustain their health ?
That being said it really doesn’t matter whose is bigger . But as a group we are supposed to educate and help others succeed .

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the high school banter but has anyone seen test results that prove either disease or immature stocking prior to being fully cycled ?

any bacteria states instant cycle and can add fish the same day but in reality … who would honestly purchase a $100 fish and a $10 bottle of bacteria and expect all to be well ?
Being an explosive hobby wouldn’t anyone want to be sure the environment the new fish are added to is safe to sustain their health ?
That being said it really doesn’t matter whose is bigger . But as a group we are supposed to educate and help others succeed .
Yes, the OP posted test results that helped conclude this was likely disease. The pages of banter are just reefers being reefers ;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Would appreciate if your ask your questions 1, 2, 3. Only because answering a paragraph is hard. And - as you said if you asked the specific questions IMHO it would help educate. ???

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would appreciate if your ask your questions 1, 2, 3. Only because answering a paragraph is hard. And - as you said if you asked the specific questions IMHO it would help educate. ???
You can answer them in order 1,2,3 or which ever way works .
i wasn’t looking for specific answers

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back