2 Year Anniversary Live sale -up to 80% off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

FishyJoe91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my moms bfs had a reef tank when i was a kid..like 200 gallons and i loved it. Ended up doing freshwater when I was a kid at my dads. At one point a 40b a 75 and a 125 all with aggressive FW fish. Flash forward to my thirties and I had been researching reef tanks for about a decade. Bought a jbj 28 and took the plunge. That was probably 6 years ago. A buddy gave me my 125 and I thought I would never fill it up. Got my first "try it out" acros (digi/stylo) about a year ago.
Iv been at it for 7-8 years but past year or so Iv taken the sps game much more seriously just now starting to see my collection start to mature

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar story, I’ve always admired reef tanks but was intimidated. I got a planted FW tank going and loved it and finally got the courage to start a little nano reef. Hundreds of hours of research later I’m finally getting started and loving it. I’m sure I’ll go bigger sometime soon but I’m enjoying this little tank for now.

my tanks tonight:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Similar story, I’ve always admired reef tanks but was intimidated. I got a planted FW tank going and loved it and finally got the courage to start a little nano reef. Hundreds of hours of research later I’m finally getting started and loving it. I’m sure I’ll go bigger sometime soon but I’m enjoying this little tank for now.

my tanks tonight:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Taking the plunge with this sale too!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we still here. How did you all start reefing. Long story short. started out fresh water with angels, African cichids, and discus. I got hooked after I visit my brother who lived in Fresno, CA. He had a 30g. I came home and told hubby I want reefing. So, I bought a 65. Then we save up and got a custom a Planet 180. AND never looked back.
Well I’ve had fresh water aquariums off and on for about 47 years. I’ve always been impressed by saltwater aquariums and the tales of how crazy hard to keep them. When. I moved to my current residence I gained quite a bit of space and got a 90 gallon acrylic setup. Got persuaded by my wife to do freshwater as I hadn’t had one for about 8 years. Went Discus. Then that October I presented myself a 16 Gallon Biocube and have been completely bitten by the reef bug .

Last edited:

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we still here. How did you all start reefing. Long story short. started out fresh water with angels, African cichids, and discus. I got hooked after I visit my brother who lived in Fresno, CA. He had a 30g. I came home and told hubby I want reefing. So, I bought a 65. Then we save up and got a custom a Planet 180. AND never looked back.
Growing up my father always had fish tanks. Originally it was just freshwater but he got into saltwater in the mid 90's with a FWLRO tank. Always loved watching the tanks and always wanted to get more into the saltwater tanks. He passed away my freshman year of college. At the time I just had s 20 gal long for my turtle. I didn't get a chance to start my own reef tank till about fall of '21. Glad I did, now I got 3 tanks, 65 gal for my turtle and his cichlids buddies and 2 reef tank, a 13 gal and 30gal.

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife got a beta fish at our wedding shower. I spent a week figuring out how to keep it happy. Which spiraled to a 36 bowfront freshwater which spiraled to a 135 gallon freshwater planted tank.

eventually life got busy and I neglected it. Tore it all down and was going to sell it but then starting browsing reef YouTube videos. Now I have a reef tank.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking the plunge with this sale too!
Yup just got number 17 of the sale! I’ll learn. I’ve got tons of plants and and generally have a green thumb and am pretty good with the freshwater systems. Im sure I’ll make mistakes but im doing my best to research and invest in good gear. I had no idea I’d be spending thousands to get into this. Thought maybe $1k but once you start getting decent test kits, rodi systems, refractometers etc etc etc it just keeps adding up. I think im pretty setup now but im sure there’s much more money to be spent! :)

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My thing is...there may be people that put in as much work on their tank as I do..but nobody out works me. Which btw..I'm sure there are but that's my stance
You have to have this stance to be successful. I'm obsessive about my tank, do hundreds of hours of research a month, and did years worth of research and stalking the forums before joining.

FishyJoe91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thing is...there may be people that put in as much work on their tank as I do..but nobody out works me. Which btw..I'm sure there are but that's my stance
I really try to put as little effort in on a day to day basis for stability sake and time management now I’m heavily automated on two reef tanks

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yup just got number 17 of the sale! I’ll learn. I’ve got tons of plants and and generally have a green thumb and am pretty good with the freshwater systems. Im sure I’ll make mistakes but im doing my best to research and invest in good gear. I had no idea I’d be spending thousands to get into this. Thought maybe $1k but once you start getting decent test kits, rodi systems, refractometers etc etc etc it just keeps adding up. I think im pretty setup now but im sure there’s much more money to be spent! :)
Just hop back in this thread and that newbie @billyocean "I'm no pro" will help guide you if you have questions. Or other friends in this thread.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to have this stance to be successful. I'm obsessive about my tank, do hundreds of hours of research a month, and did years worth of research and stalking the forums before joining.
I like that. I’m new but I’m into this and I’m not going to fail. There’s going to be setbacks but I’ll keep going. Part of the learning experience for me has been trying to learn how successful reefers do it. There’s definitely some moderation involved too. If your parameters are a little off and you start dosing too much, you can have massive Dino outbreaks and stuff. It’s looks like a challenge.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose this route after letting my 28 jbj go to shyte twice and my 125 stall out for a year due to negligence. Never again will one of my tanks suffer from bad husbandry.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back