2 Year Anniversary Live sale -up to 80% off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. But to be candid, the SBB crew are the best. Everyone is helpful, but there is a mini community here.
Thanks. Yeah I definitely felt a lot more welcome here so far and feel like people are willing to help me. It’s been hit or miss in other areas.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I originally wanted a 200+ but it wouldn't fit through the door leading to the basement. Before covid, hubby and I were planning to upgrade our 65 to a larger that's a peninsula style because we want to see from all sides from the kitchen. Its very likely won't happen now because the dimensions are very specific due we believe strongly in feng shui and cost is way up there to custom build one. Oh well, 65 is still great.
I want a 125 peninsula for my next tank. I have to figure out how I can run that past my wife. I'll probably have to wait a year or more, seems fiscally irresponsible to spend too much with banks collapsing and tech layoffs.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a 125 peninsula for my next tank. I have to figure out how I can run that past my wife. I'll probably have to wait a year or more, seems fiscally irresponsible to spend too much with banks collapsing and tech layoffs.
Does your wife like your reef tanks or does she just allow them?

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you all run Apex systems? With this nano I didn’t want to go that big but I can see that most reefers end up going with one eventually.
To be honest, I'm not fancy as all of you all. No apex, no ato. I do have a 40w uv on my 180. I have iPad just to control my lessons and mp40s.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my tunze sitting in my closet for a year before I hooked it up. Once I did it was probably the biggest change towards success I had.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does your wife like your reef tanks or does she just allow them?
Allow. She doesn't like that I spend so much time tinkering with it and rather I spend more time with the family. I'm not a deadbeat by a long shot and my three year old helps with little tasks like mixing stuff, feeding the fishes, using the mag cleaner. But if a coral falls or is dislocated by something and I insist on glueing it back during bedtime stories, I get the eye of Sauron from my wife.

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Exactly. Saving for girls' college fund and almost paying off the house.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
To be honest, I'm not fancy as all of you all. No apex, no ato. I do have a 40w uv on my 180. I have iPad just to control my lessons and mp40s.
Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

ATO is life.

Tex11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The husband! What do your tanks look like? I saw @TheWife s intro thread, sounds like you've been doing it awhile?
Haha, you're the first to put it together. I've been doing it a long time. I worked for a LFS in college. I had been an enthusiast up to that point. After that, I started getting a little more "in" with the wholesalers and some people. Started a little side hustle and started making a little money selling acros. That was before cloud backups were popular. Ironically I lost that phone to a saltwater dip haha.

Either way, I don't have much to show, therefore not much to say. I don't want to be all talk. I hadn't had a tank in like 6 or 7 years. Decided to get back into it after a rough year in life and a family vacation to the beach. I went with a Reefer 200 Gen 2, I sort of regret that decision. I wish I had gone with a Cade or Aquaforest as the manufacturer or gone custom again.

I used to grow acros like weeds and hit a rough patch recently. Sorta get discouraged, but I've got it back under control. I got myself back into what I'm familiar with and stopped trying to be a trend setter.

This sale I grabbed something like 12 or 13 pieces for myself and @TheWife got herself a lot of nicr pieces. I'll have some more to show when these all arrive

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Allow. She doesn't like that I spend so much time tinkering with it and rather I spend more time with the family. I'm not a deadbeat by a long shot and my three year old helps with little tasks like mixing stuff, feeding the fishes, using the mag cleaner. But if a coral falls or is dislocated by something and I insist on glueing it back during bedtime stories, I get the eye of Sauron from my wife.
OMG. Same thing with hubby here. Why you think I have 24 packs of glue gel on hand.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, you're the first to put it together. I've been doing it a long time. I worked for a LFS in college. I had been an enthusiast up to that point. After that, I started getting a little more "in" with the wholesalers and some people. Started a little side hustle and started making a little money selling acros. That was before cloud backups were popular. Ironically I lost that phone to a saltwater dip haha.

Either way, I don't have much to show, therefore not much to say. I don't want to be all talk. I hadn't had a tank in like 6 or 7 years. Decided to get back into it after a rough year in life and a family vacation to the beach. I went with a Reefer 200 Gen 2, I sort of regret that decision. I wish I had gone with a Cade or Aquaforest as the manufacturer or gone custom again.

I used to grow acros like weeds and hit a rough patch recently. Sorta get discouraged, but I've got it back under control. I got myself back into what I'm familiar with and stopped trying to be a trend setter.

This sale I grabbed something like 12 or 13 pieces for myself and @TheWife got herself a lot of nicr pieces. I'll have some more to show when these all arrive
Haha...TheHusband..well hello!

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask a couple of coral questions? I’ll try not to be too exhausting.

I have a hammer torch and bought a couple new torches that are frogspawn, can I just mount them right next to it without worrying about aggression? Like with the heads almost touching?

I picked up some Gonis, do they do best in the sand or can I mount on rock? I’ve already looked into the conditions they like but I was unsure about that.

3. lastly, I’m adding several SPS corals (smooth skin acros and Montis) to this scape that was originally supposed to be a softie/lps tank. Should I just mount them as high as I can in the scape and try to slowly increase my par while watching my other corals or do I need to move everything around now? I’m currently running about 100 par and imagine I need to get up to about 200-250 par atleast.

Any info you can provide is super helpful.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a hammer torch and bought a couple new torches that are frogspawn, can I just mount them right next to it without worrying about aggression? Like with the heads almost touching?

I picked up some Gonis, do they do best in the sand or can I mount on rock? I’ve already looked into the conditions they like but I was unsure about that.

3. lastly, I’m adding several SPS corals (smooth skin acros and Montis) to this scape that was originally supposed to be a softie/lps tank. Should I just mount them as high as I can in the scape and try to slowly increase my par while watching my other corals or do I need to move everything around now? I’m currently running about 100 par and imagine I need to get up to about 200-250 par atleast.

I meant to say not frogspawn!! Sorry
An indo gold and princess peach

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How old is your tank and do you have pics. We need parameters and nutrient numbers too

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

SBB acros are a great buy, super healthy and great growers.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you all run Apex systems? With this nano I didn’t want to go that big but I can see that most reefers end up going with one eventually.
I run as basic a system as I can. Nothing automated except my lights and flow generators. Honestly I very really test for anything, only when things look off. I've found the less I mess with my tanks the better they do.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

1). No they fight . Torches are true euphyllia and hammers and frogspawn are fimbriphyllia.

2). Gonis are typically on the sandbed, but make sure they are elevated, they hate sand and it can irritate their polyps. Mounting on rocks is fine.

3). I think this is a good idea. If you have lower light, you aren't going to burn the smoothie acros or anything. Mount as high as possible and start your light acclimation to increase par slowly over the next month.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back