Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Pump Set Up!

There is so much to learn in this hobby. If you're like me and spent significant time researching and learning before setting up your tank, adding your first fish or coral, making equipment purchases, etc... you find that there are still things that you completely missed. At the same time, you also realize that you may have bought equipment that either aren't needed (yet) or completely overkill for your needs. I have noticed many other fellow reefers do this and I have been guilty of this with a number of things as well.

One perfect example is the Bubble Magus BM-T11 dosing pump that I purchased back in December 2019 when my tank only had softies and LPS. After buying the pump and getting a gauge of my tank's daily alkalinity and calcium levels, I realized I could easily manage them simply with weekly water changes. Great, so the pump sat in the box as the warranty went to waste.

This changed this past fall when I noticed that my alkalinity and calcium were dropping faster than I could raise them with the weekly water changes. I started dosing BRS two-part (which I also purchased backed in December 2019) to maintain my alkalinity at 8.1 and calcium at 435. Last month, I started taking daily measurements of my tank's alkalinity and calcium to understand the daily intake in order to allow me to set up the dosing pump. There were days when I really wished I had an Apex and I burned through Hanna alkalinity test reagent.

This past week, I felt I had enough data to set up the pump. I put together a simple shelf using some scrap wood and mounted it in the stand. And tonight, I got the pump set-up and programmed. The BM-T11 was fairly straightforward to set up once you got past the instructions that were written in shaky, broken English. I had to do some googling to make sure I understood the directions. The hardest part was keeping the vinyl tubes from curling in the 1-gallon jugs, which I have sitting behind my sump.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

File_009.jpeg

Last edited:

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Pump Set Up!

There is so much to learn in this hobby. If you're like me and spent significant time researching and learning before setting up your tank, adding your first fish or coral, making equipment purchases, etc... you find that there are still things that you completely missed. At the same time, you also realize that you may have bought equipment that either aren't needed (yet) or completely overkill for your needs. I have noticed many other fellow reefers do this and I have been guilty of this with a number of things as well.

One perfect example is the Bubble Magus BM-T11 dosing pump that I purchased back in December 2019 when my tank only hand softies and LPS. After buying the pump and getting a gauge of my tank's daily alkalinity and calcium levels, I realized I could easily manage them simply with weekly water changes. Great, so the pump sat in the box as the warranty went to waste.

This changed this past fall when I noticed that my alkalinity and calcium were dropping faster than I could raise them with the weekly water changes. I started dosing BRS two-part (which I also purchased backed in December 2019) to maintain my alkalinity at 8.1 and calcium at 435. Last month, I started taking daily measurements of my tank's alkalinity and calcium to understand the daily intake in order to allow me to set up the dosing pump. There were days when I really wished I had an Apex and I burned through Hanna alkalinity test reagent.

This past week, I felt I had enough data to set up the pump. I put together a simple shelf using some scrap wood and mounted it in the stand. And tonight, I got the pump set-up and programmed. The BM-T11 was fairly straightforward to set up once you got past the instructions that were written in shaky, broken English. I had to do some googling to make sure I understood the directions. The hardest part was keeping the vinyl tubes from curling in the 1-gallon jugs, which I have sitting behind my sump.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

File_009.jpeg
Nic write up. enjoyed reading it. I actually have a kamoer doser and getting it connected to the network is a pain. I recently changed routers, and still haven't been able to connect it to the new SSID. Though it continues to dose just fine. I hope the bubble magus was easier.

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nic write up. enjoyed reading it. I actually have a kamoer doser and getting it connected to the network is a pain. I recently changed routers, and still haven't been able to connect it to the new SSID. Though it continues to dose just fine. I hope the bubble magus was easier.

Thanks Sordfish. The bubble magus doesn't have network connectivity and all the programming was done with 4 buttons on the pump with four functions (up, down, enter, escape). It was pretty quick and easy to program. Which particular pump do you have?

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been pondering several issues lately..

Problem 1 - My LEDs are not high enough. My Viparspectra 165Ws are only 6.5" off the water surface when they recommend 12". Without having to either cut open the top of my canopy or building a new canopy, I can only raise my lights by another 1-1.5". I'm not sure this is worth the effort. So my options now are to either cut open the top of my canopy, build a new canopy, or add some T5s. While adding T5s is the most expensive option, it is also the easiest.

Problem 2 - Bubble Algae is out of control. My one spot foxface doesn't touch them, my emerald crabs have put a minimal dent on them and clearly prefer other foods. I bought a bottle of Vibrant but I'm worried about potential negative effects on my corals that have been widely reported by other reefers. Right now, I think I want to get my 30 gallon frag tank set up so that I can start setting aside some "insurance" pieces before using Vibrant.

Problem 3 - My sinularia is absolutely out of control. It's taking prime real estate for SPS. But it's fully attached to the rock and I'm unsure I'm going to be able to remove all the tissue from the rock to prevent it from growing back.

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates to my last post...

I've decided to take advantage of the current sales and go big on my lights. After some feedback from others in another thread, I'm going to purchase the new CoralCare Gen2 for my tank in effort to see if I can reduce shadowing and PAR drop-off on the outer edges of my tank. Philips is currently running a sale where you can pick up two lights and a free controller for $1619. Most importantly... I got my wife's somewhat of an approval.

My bubble algae problem has actually started improving. I'm starting to wonder if the emerald crabs are starting to make a dent. I haven't seen my one spot foxface pick at them yet, but not ruling it out as a possibility. Looks like that bottle of Vibrant that I bought last month is going to be put on hold for the time being.

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most importantly... I got my wife's somewhat of an approval.

Lucky you. At that price range, all I have gotten would have been the boot :). Keep us posted on what you think of those lights. They are supposed to be heavy. Curious to see what you think of them and how they perform. They should be awesome for real high power lighting.

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky you. At that price range, all I have gotten would have been the boot :). Keep us posted on what you think of those lights. They are supposed to be heavy. Curious to see what you think of them and how they perform. They should be awesome for real high power lighting.

I’m very lucky. I think it helped that she just recently got a new car. ;) At the same time, I’m also very grateful I have the ability to purchase these pricey lights.

The lights have shipped and are arriving later this week. I’m excited about this and imagine I’ll be providing updates quite a bit in the coming weeks and months.

I think I know how I’m mounting these in my canopy. I need to make a Home Depot trip this week. Stay tuned...

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t get too far with the lights this weekend. The vendor shipped me one black and one white when I was supposed to get two black CoralCare. I called them today and they sent me a return shipping label. They also understandably want me to first send this one back before sending the replacement. So I just got back dropping off the return with UPS. Hope the vendor gets the new light out soon.

FB31BC46-2653-4757-ABC6-D1D14EE5DB83.jpeg

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t get too far with the lights this weekend. The vendor shipped me one black and one white when I was supposed to get two black CoralCare. I called them today and they sent me a return shipping label. They also understandably want me to first send this one back before sending the replacement. So I just got back dropping off the return with UPS. Hope the vendor gets the new light out soon.

FB31BC46-2653-4757-ABC6-D1D14EE5DB83.jpeg
So what do you think so far? It’d be nice to get a hobbyist impression of these, rather than the You Tube influencer view which is not always reflective of real world use.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back