20 fal reef tank fish stock list help!

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Iv been trying to get my stocklist strategized and im afraid im going to over stock my tank.
2 clownfish
2 cardinal fish
mandarin
3 chromis

this is not in my tank this is a list of stock i liked and wasnt sure if i could even house them.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a new thread that has eye opening info on feeding mandarins. Something to ponder for sure:

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of bio load, probably doable in a 20gal with good filtration, but I would suggest getting more utilitarian critters (a good algae eater for example, and also something that will eat pests). Be sure to research your choices so you are prepared to support them. Chromis are hard to keep in small groups (they tend to kill each other off until only one is left). Mandarin (all dragonets actually) are hard to keep because they require special diet.

Last edited:

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Iv been trying to get my stocklist strategized and im afraid im going to over stock my tank.
2 clownfish
2 cardinal fish
mandarin
3 chromis

this is not in my tank this is a list of stock i liked and wasnt sure if i could even house them.
I have a 29 gallon, and most people who have tanks that size only keep 4 to 5 fish. So a 20 gallon, I would expect most to recommend only 3 to 4 fish total.

So if you want a pair of clowns, probably either get 2 cardinals or 1 cardinal and 1 chromis.

Also I hear alot of people talking about how they try to keep groups of Chromis, only for them to kill each other off until only one remains.

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Iv been trying to get some better info on tank stocking. The mandarin would be fed frozen or pellets( my lfs sells prepared fed mandarins). I just wanted to make sure my eyes werent bigger than my tank. Like putting together a cleaning crew i am afraid ill over stock

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with picking four of those fish at most and sticking with four. If you get a bigger tank down the line then you could get more fish. There are lots of people who find that even ocellaris clowns will become extremely aggressive in a 20 gal once they start spawning.

And as somebody upthread said chromis often take each other out. Bangaii cardinals (is that what you mean by cardinal fish?) often (not always) do that too, especially in a small tank.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Iv been trying to get some better info on tank stocking. The mandarin would be fed frozen or pellets( my lfs sells prepared fed mandarins). I just wanted to make sure my eyes werent bigger than my tank. Like putting together a cleaning crew i am afraid ill over stock
For clean up crew, a good place to go for that is the Reef Cleaners website. They sell cleaner packages there, and I have used them for both my 10 gallon and my 29 gallon. That said, I think my 10 gallon needs another pick me up as it looks like alot of the snails died. Also want a few more hermits for it.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I successfully kept 2 fish in a 20 long and 5 in a 30 cube. When I added more one would die.
I am talking small fish like yellow gobies and bicolor blennies. I did have a clown ion the 30.

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my crew list is
3 blue knuckle hermits
3 halloween hermits
3 red hermits
5 ninja star snails
5 narssicius snails
5 asterus snails

i may have misspelled thesenames. But thats my cuc stocklist im planning for my tank

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also im gonna rethink my stock list and talk with my lfs tank advisor and get some help there too so we can have a nice balanced happy tank

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id add a larger shrimp to the CUC, I got a fire shrimp and I have never looked back. I’ve got a 20 gallon peninsula, and feed my LPS meaty foods so I end up with a lot of waste. The shrimp cut my detritus in half, it’s beautiful. He even eats out of my hand! I love the little guy. I also prefer turbo, margarita, and astrea snails. Just cause they don’t get super huge. I agree with the above about the mandarin. You can do it, just be aware they they require a ton of work and maintenance to keep healthy. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasnt sure where to put my fireshrimp as far as listed on my stocklist. But im 100% putting a fire shrimp in my tank. I appreciate everyones input. If i dont mention an invert or fish you suggested its just because im researching the animal.
And if i have to only keep the mandarin as my only fish i absolutely would

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I’d cut back on your CUC. I don’t think there’s any rule, you just have to start slow (one or two algae eaters and one or two meaty detritus eaters) and add more over a period of weeks/months as necessary.

If you don’t have enough algae growth in the tank, your algae eaters will starve. Then their decaying bodies will spike nutrient levels in the tank potentially leading to an algae bloom.

I’d also strongly reconsider your hermit plans. Maybe put one in if you want it and are willing for it to kill snails and potentially pick at corals. Hermits will kill each other off for shells and territory. They’ll kill snails for shells. They’ll pick at coral to get food.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do recommend the small blue legged hermits. I have 10 in my 20 gallon and they’re doing great. They only get so big and are usually shipped as full grown adults, I have never witnessed any aggression between crabs or my snails. :). I use the rule of 1 snail per every 2 gallons and 1 hermit per every 2-5 gallons depending on how heavily you feed. This rule only applies to algae eating snails because the crabs handle the meaty leftovers. I have 8 turbos, 4 astrea, a couple of stomatella hitchhikers (these are my favorite), and maybe 2 margarita snails. I also have one fire shrimp to help eat anything too big for the hermits. This set up works really well for me. Good luck!

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! I wasnt going to add all those at once thats the cuc stocklist i hoped to build to over the year. And my cuc list is slightly lower than what iv been suggested, im just a newbie so im asking for more like a break down of my cuc list and if i have too much reduncy somewhere or if theres a compatibility issue somewhere. You wont hurt my feelings, thats why im asking to make sure my inhabitants are happy

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So iv been working on my cuc list and have refined it further. I made some changes to both the inverts and fish list

fish
2 clowns
1 lawn mower blenny
1 fire shrimp

Inverts
6 halloween crabs
5 nassarius snails
5 star snails
1 feather duster

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this feels like ages ago. We’ve started stocking the 20 gal and so far we have

2 platinum clowns
1 fire shrimp
2 ninja star astrea snails

Next fish
Orchid dotty back

Next invert ‍♂️ The tank isnt showing signs of needing more cuc yet

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added an orange chesnut snail cause it was just awesome and 2 trocheus and 4 blue hermit crabs. Heavy handed feeding. No more inverts to be added until our nexy fish is added and i see how the tank reacts.

I do want another orange chesnut or 2, they are gorgeous, after that im thinking of added a fan worm when the tank matures some

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back