20 Gallon DIY frag tank questions.

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am setting up a 20g long tank as a small frag tank. I already have a AI Prime HD for lighting, a hang on back overflow box, to a 10g tank - that I will be using as a sump. I am wondering if I need to use live rock, or if I can just use MarinePure Ceramic Spheres? I will be adding a small skimmer also.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all,

I am setting up a 20g long tank as a small frag tank. I already have a AI Prime HD for lighting, a hang on back overflow box, to a 10g tank - that I will be using as a sump. I am wondering if I need to use live rock, or if I can just use MarinePure Ceramic Spheres? I will be adding a small skimmer also.

Both live rock and the ceramic spheres both provide additional surface are for bacteria which will help with biological filtration. There are many different ways to provide biological filtration including the two that you mention - of course there are many levels of effectiveness and at least that many opinions on those levels of effectiveness. For biological filtration Marine Pure does a reasonable job, however it (allegedly) comes with other issue so you may want to do your full research before you commit to that option. Good luck with whatever you decide!

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend against the spheres, they are pretty brittle and crumble. Either get a bigger block or use something else. If you watch the Dr Tim video from BRS at Macna he doe-sent seem to care for MP products at all and if anyone knows this stuff it would be him.

Back