20 gallon long frag tank questions

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 20 long finally finished cycling! YAY! It took almost a month and added some live rock and seed bioballs ect! I was surprised it took that long! Anyway, I have never had a frag tank but have been going nuts buying zoas and shroom so I need a place to keep them all!

It has no skimmer or sump just a oversized HOB filter! I used a lot of bioballs both big and small for substrate and also quite a bit of crumbed reef rock and some long sheets but they arent real porous! My lfs had some live so thats why I bought it! .

I was going to add reborn that someone recommended for shrooms to stick too, but seems they changed the size and I read alot of bad reviews about that fact, Can anyone recommend something small like that in place of reborn? Or will the new reborn work because its pretty costly if it dosnt. I know I should have added it already but I will season with mb7 and add little by little. I know when shrooms attach themselves to bigger piece of rock its hard to get them off so I was considering maybe some crushed corals (or reborn) I saw on ebay which is what reborn is supposed to be but its very expensive buying the crushed coral as well! Just not sure which way to go! I also could just let them attach to the sheets and maybe be able to break the sheets if I want to sell a shroom that has attached!

Also should I add a fish or two? I know fish poop is supposed to be good for corals?

Also Should I wait before adding a cleanup crew? I do have a lot of algae on walls now but I suppose I should clean it off!

One last question: How long should I wait before turning lights on? I have always waited months and never had an ugly phase (at least not in the beginning! lol) but I am a little impatient this time around being I have so many corals sitting on my sand bed and also more on the way! I definitely dont want to regret it and have to deal with a lot of algae!

I plan on adding microbacter clean tomorrow like BRS recommends after the cycle completes and changing the water! I am also concerned that if I dont add sometime soon it will loose the cycle so should i keep adding ammonia or fish food if I don't get a fish? I kind of fell bad adding just one fish so if I do I will probably add two! Any recommendations on what kind of fish for a small frag tank?

I would appreciate any advice as well as anyone who has answers to my many question..lol sorry but a frag tank newbie! LOL

Thanks in advance!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like keeping fish in a frag tank. At least one predator and one algae eater. My go to are lawnmower Blenny ( you would want a small model in there) and springari Damsel.

Snails, and Lots of them of various types are my cuc of choice for a frag system. Snails don't pick corals and don't move them like other cuc may.

If you added live rock, you are no longer cycling and aren't going to "lose your cycle". Tank is ready to go. Turn your lights on, and get adding.

If you will have any sand or rubble (highly recommended for attaching shrooms) add a bunch of pods upfront. They are a Great coral food.

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like keeping fish in a frag tank. At least one predator and one algae eater. My go to are lawnmower Blenny ( you would want a small model in there) and springari Damsel.

Snails, and Lots of them of various types are my cuc of choice for a frag system. Snails don't pick corals and don't move them like other cuc may.

If you added live rock, you are no longer cycling and aren't going to "lose your cycle". Tank is ready to go. Turn your lights on, and get adding.

If you will have any sand or rubble (highly recommended for attaching shrooms) add a bunch of pods upfront. They are a Great coral food.
Why a predator fish? I doubt that i can find that damsel locally but yellow tail damsels are pretty available around here.

I dont have any sand but mostly bioballs and small pieces of rock that I beat with a hammer and part of a bag of marco rocks mr frag mounts. I also have some old corals skeltons in there. small pieces of shelf rock as well.

I am trying to find some real small rubble for the shroom to attach to. Do you know anything about two little fishes reborn? Someone suggest that but I dont think he realized the changed the size coral pieces they use. I also found corals skeltons on ebay but its like 12 bucks a cup or something. Plus reborn is 40 bucks I believe so just not sure which to get because they are both pretty expensive. Also ot sure if he meant the old reborn or the new formula and I cant remember who recommend that! LOL I know reviews were bad on the new but its meant for calcium reactors I think so maybe thats why the reviews were bad about the smaller pieces!

Also should I take my shrooms that I have in my displays out of the shroom cages I have them in even though some are very very tiny? I kept in cages because I lost so many tiny ones but now that I have a hob and no sandbed maybe I won't loose them! I have never had any luck with my larger shrooms reproducing and maybe its because the are attached to frag plugs and arent roaming! I read somewhere that they need to roam and leave a piece of their foot behind! Maybe that is not the type i have though.

Most of mine are bubbles or, frankenstins and magic carpets, og bounce so I think people cut most of them! I also have a few deadpool and poletti jawbreakers and getting an elctus soon. Do you know if any of those reproduce by roaming around. I also have uranium bounce , raunchy red, golden gonzo, dragon lady, rhodactis bounce, a few sunkists, neptunes, and quite a few yumas. Definitely want in g some babies soon! Lots of high end zoas I have been buying lately so this is basically an investment tank!

Apreciate your advise!

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why a predator fish? I doubt that i can find that damsel locally but yellow tail damsels are pretty available around here.

I dont have any sand but mostly bioballs and small pieces of rock that I beat with a hammer and part of a bag of marco rocks mr frag mounts. I also have some old corals skeltons in there. small pieces of shelf rock as well.

I am trying to find some real small rubble for the shroom to attach to. Do you know anything about two little fishes reborn? Someone suggest that but I dont think he realized the changed the size coral pieces they use. I also found corals skeltons on ebay but its like 12 bucks a cup or something. Plus reborn is 40 bucks I believe so just not sure which to get because they are both pretty expensive. Also ot sure if he meant the old reborn or the new formula and I cant remember who recommend that! LOL I know reviews were bad on the new but its meant for calcium reactors I think so maybe thats why the reviews were bad about the smaller pieces!

Also should I take my shrooms that I have in my displays out of the shroom cages I have them in even though some are very very tiny? I kept in cages because I lost so many tiny ones but now that I have a hob and no sandbed maybe I won't loose them! I have never had any luck with my larger shrooms reproducing and maybe its because the are attached to frag plugs and arent roaming! I read somewhere that they need to roam and leave a piece of their foot behind! Maybe that is not the type i have though.

Most of mine are bubbles or, frankenstins and magic carpets, og bounce so I think people cut most of them! I also have a few deadpool and poletti jawbreakers and getting an elctus soon. Do you know if any of those reproduce by roaming around. I also have uranium bounce , raunchy red, golden gonzo, dragon lady, rhodactis bounce, a few sunkists, neptunes, and quite a few yumas. Definitely want in g some babies soon! Lots of high end zoas I have been buying lately so this is basically an investment tank!

Apreciate your advise!
Oh and is a lawnmower blenny okay with no sand bed? Just a bunch of rubble and larger pieces of bioballs ect covered by a frag rack. I am thinking that wont work! Not even sure how to manage the snails. because of the fragrack. I think its on 3 inch legs. I havnt set that up yet. Should I place them in the rubble? I have a fighting conch in two tanks that do a great job keeping frag plugs clean so If I get another I suppose I should set him on top of frag rack and then I an not sure which snails to place on glass and what in the rubble!

Also it took a month just about to cycle even though I did use some live rock, not much but you think its ok to turn lights on now?

I am dying to get my frags in there because they are allover my sand bed and Ihave even more coming but there is a lot of money going in that tank because mostly high end so I dont want to rush it and regret it later!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Apreciate your advise!
The predator is for possible pests. Flatworms and large amphipods mostly. 6 lines, YCW also work but not in that size tank. Springari are not really uncommon and locally sell for $10 so they are affordable also. A yellow tail damsel is not an adequate substitute.

I've never messed with reborn. I have a small tub of tiny rock, coarse sand, bits of Marco rock, pieces of shell.... Essentially debris that I use for getting shrooms to attach to. Just your standard sand will usually work. If you have any left over Marco, take a hammer to it until you get the right size. Easy.

Shrooms reproduce one of two ways. Walking and leaving a foot baby, or splitting in two. I prefer to have my shrooms displayed on convex Discs because it makes them Look better. Mushroom reproduction is often about how happy they are in the environment. Happy shrooms will (often) reproduce at an alarming rate. I've never used cages, other than with JB babies, that take Forever.

I'm familiar with and own most of the shrooms you listed. Some reproduce often, some seldom. My magic carpet has not reproduced in the two years I've had it. Cutting shrooms is the cast and easy way to make more, smaller shrooms. Most mushrooms with the money to be Cut, Shouldn't be. The og bounce for example. I don't think we fully understand the mechanics of it yet, but cut shrooms do not fare nearly as well as natural splits, for a long time, if ever. Proper flow and lighting, a good feeding schedule and most high dollar rhodi's will split. If you haven't yet, check out and read through @LRT Build thread. He taught me about cutting foot boogers, when they are ready, ways to encourage the Shroom to walk a bit. The Entire thing is worth a read of you're a mushroom head.

Lawnmower Blenny doesn't need or want sand. It'll want a little cave hideout but spend most of their time, Eating algae.

I run elevated frag racks and snails. Some racks are 11" up. The snails still find their way up and help eating.. now for the conch, it doesn't belong there with no sand. They are sand sleepers and don't last long bare bottom. Got another tank it can help out in with sand?

LIGHT IT UP!! I don't buy into lights out while cycling from the first place. I see Zero reason to keep them off at this stage when cycled. What you Don't want to do is allow algae to become bad enough to zero out your dissolved nutrients. That is a case for disaster.

Cycling tanks, is really for Fish, not coral. You've got some rock in there... USE YOUR FRAG TANK!!!! I know how it sucks having frags all over the sand bed. Load it up, and have fun.

The Lost Frag tank. Everything from high end Acro's, mushrooms, Zoas, softies Gorgs and about 150 snails...
PXL_20220627_025019578.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back