20 Gallon Long - My first build!

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** DISCLAIMER – This will be a lengthy read! ***

This thread is made in a blog style – something I can recall on, and something that will help people in the future.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Nathan! (“Hi, Nathan”, they reply. LOL) After watching countless hours of videos about reef tanks from all different creators, I have set out to join the hobby and create a reef tank. Also, I have done hours of reading on forums, asking questions, and listening to people’s input. I originally had the idea to start a larger 75-gallon tank because as I know, “the bigger the tank, the fewer the problems”, but that also includes a larger initial price tag. After watching WWC’s video on Sean’s tank, which is a 20-gallon long tank, I thought “that is more my style!”, and I set out on a journey to acquire the items I WANTED to start a K.I.S.S. tank (Keep. It. Stupid. Simple). Yes, I understand there may be cheaper/better alternatives, but these are the items and equipment I wanted to try out. I am ALWAYS open to comments about what worked for you or recommendations you may have!

The goal of this tank is to look clean. What do I mean by clean? I mean to ensure that the aquascape I build “flows” with the tank, to always keep the inside and outside of the glass clean, to keep the stand clean, to make wire management non-intrusive inside the stand, and to thoughtfully place corals that makes them flow inside the aquascape. While seemingly easy goals, I write them down so I can hold myself to them.

I plan to keep two (2) clownfish, one (1) six-line wrasse, one (1) lawnmower blenny (or any sand sieving blennies) (HELP APPRECIATED ON OTHER BLENNIES), one (1) cleaner shrimp, and other CUC (clean-up-crew) will be determined later. The corals I plan to keep are: LPS, Softies, and MAYBE an Anemone.

My equipment list thus far (draft):

• 20-gallon aquarium (non-negotiable)
  • Eheim Jager TruTemp 75W heater (non-negotiable)
  • Tidal 55 HOB filter (non-negotiable)
  • AI Nero 5 powerhead
  • Two (2) AI Prime HD16
  • XP Aqua Duetto Dual-Sensor ATO System
I was originally thinking to go with a 4-bulb 24” T5 light fixture off amazon to reduce cost. I made a post about lighting on here (Reef2Reef), which discussed this topic. One thing people brought up, or that I read in other threads, were people just moving to LEDs. This was never a problem for me as I just wanted to test the tried and trued formula of T5s. I started researching more and a lot of the T5 fixtures would be longer in width than my tank. This is not a problem, of course, but it wouldn’t be the “clean” look I am going for. I believe I can get a better light spread and a cleaner look by going with two (2) AI Prime HD16s than one (1) T5 fixture and possible supplemental LED. Also, I just like the look the AI Prime HD16s offer for the price.

The powerhead has been trickier than the lighting. I like the AI Nero 5’s cost and the capability of only using one app to control both my lights and powerhead. I do know that Sean from WWC also uses a Nero 5 in his 20-gallon long and so did most, if not all, of their contestants in their WWC Epic Tank Battle series. I know I am paying a premium price for a powerhead that I will never use its full capabilities in that size of a tank, but I do like to controllability of the powerhead. I was also looking at a much cheaper option off amazon, which was the Hygger Mini Wave Maker (1600gph). I aired on the side of “you get what you pay for.”

Time for the ATO system. I like the small and unintrusive form factor of the Xp Aqua Duetto Dual-Sensor. I more hesitant to get an ATO with a mechanical switch due to more maintenance, salt breaking the switch, and potential downfalls to a broken mechanical switch. I was also looking at the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro from amazon, which roughly the same price. I will gladly take any advice anyone had to offer in this region.

I encourage you (Yes, YOU!) to ask questions, give advice, and keep up with this thread as I continue this journey into this amazing hobby! Pictures to come as I progress!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11/14/21
I finished the aquascape. I used BRS general bonding glue, a mixture of water and baking soda, and ground up bits of the rock to form the joints. All and all, I think it turned out okay! Also, thanks to my girlfriend for letting me destroy the living room for the weekend!

Attachments

• 4C5F45D0-CBA6-40FD-9DB0-DA2D11616FBF.jpeg
    4C5F45D0-CBA6-40FD-9DB0-DA2D11616FBF.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 91FF5E83-DADD-4863-98C0-071EF660DC46.jpeg
    91FF5E83-DADD-4863-98C0-071EF660DC46.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 16171DD0-B7B7-46FA-8928-3AE152C482DF.jpeg
    16171DD0-B7B7-46FA-8928-3AE152C482DF.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 54E7897D-EB4C-4949-A8AD-67504D331A1B.jpeg
    54E7897D-EB4C-4949-A8AD-67504D331A1B.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 03E12576-90E9-4D8C-818F-A42D86D71AB7.jpeg
    03E12576-90E9-4D8C-818F-A42D86D71AB7.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 106
  • D5516E27-B451-459C-B351-B5ECF4DF5104.jpeg
    D5516E27-B451-459C-B351-B5ECF4DF5104.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 285C5F42-9DC6-4F3E-A0D8-1A0260213F94.jpeg
    285C5F42-9DC6-4F3E-A0D8-1A0260213F94.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased an AI Nero 3 as the powerhead and a Hanna Salinity checker. Next step is going to be figuring out my water mixing/changing station. I will be going with two Blue Hawk Trash Bins, one for RODI water and the other for fresh saltwater. I'm also trying to figure out which salt I want to use.... The great salt debate....

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a hang on back filter on my 20g long too, I ultimately switched to a canister because I couldn't stand the extra bubbles that the waterfall produced. Have you filled your tank to see where the waterline hits the hob? I had an aquaclear, so maybe yours will be closer to the water and not create such a splash.

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a hang on back filter on my 20g long too, I ultimately switched to a canister because I couldn't stand the extra bubbles that the waterfall produced. Have you filled your tank to see where the waterline hits the hob? I had an aquaclear, so maybe yours will be closer to the water and not create such a splash.
I have not yet, although, I have seen a tank at my LFS using the Tidal 55 and there didn't seem to be any bubbles! I should probably fill the tank up though just to see. How is the cannister filter working for you?

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water in the tank! I have wire management along with another extension cord coming to make the wires look better under in the stand. Also, looking for something to hold my ATO water.

Attachments

• FC63EDE9-2325-4F6D-9573-C03120ABA7DE.jpeg
    FC63EDE9-2325-4F6D-9573-C03120ABA7DE.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 135
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're back after some months! I finally got some lights! I'm running 2 AI prime 16hds. I'm still piecing this project together as time and money presents itself. I did a fish-in cycle with two clown fish, using Dr. Tims One and Only. I currently have my lights running as designed and just waiting for the ugly phase to began. Once I start to see diatoms I will be seeding the tank with copepods!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not having lights on your tank for a few months help with The Ugly Phase?

I'm not sure but here's my experience:

from December 12,2021 to May 14, 2022 I did not have lights. I put the lights on the tank and sat them to the the BRS recommended spectrum (picture 1) with the lights are roughly 10 inches off the surface of the water. I quickly had a brown diatom outbreak, which was to be expected, (I anticipated a bad ugly phase). The diatoms came, made everything SLIGHTLY brown and within 2-3 days began to disappear (photo 2 w/ diatoms) (photo 3 diatoms already going away). They have not gotten worse either. The lights have been running on a 12 hour on-period from 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM. I'm neither an expert nor do I know the science behind it but it seems to me, in my situation, leaving the lights off for a few months absolutely helped with the initial diatom/ugly phase outbreak.

P.S. I did not clean the rocks or the sand when doing my water changed during the diatom bloom.

Attachments

• image0.png
    image0.png
    267.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4185.jpg
    IMG_4185.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4186.jpg
    IMG_4186.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On March 20, 2022 I purchased one of my favorite fish! A Red Scooter! Yes, yes, yes, I know I am only a beginner (in the saltwater aquarium world), but I watched him eat frozen brine at the pet shop and he has been eating for me! I have a phytoplankton culture and copepod culture being sat up as we speak so I can add and replenish fresh phytoplankton and copepods when the tank needs it! I'm doing this for the Red Scooter and for any other filter feeders I may get later on! Here's a cool video I took of him (His name is Barry). I love watching him eat as he looks like an Anteater. he's been doing really well and I feed him twice a day until I can supply his with living food such as copepods!

Attachments

• IMG_4189.MOV
    59.6 MB
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my Phytoplankton / Copepod cultures going! I received 2 - 16oz bottles of Phytoplankton and 1-8oz F2 fertilizer from Mercer of Montana on Amazon, then I bought 2 - bottles of Copepods from Algae Barn off of BRS. I bought the Apocalypse pods to breed and the Tig pods to put into my tank initially.

I'm using 1 gallon glass jars, an air pump with four outlets, and a cheap t8 workshop light that I got from amazon. I have 4 jars in total and plan to expand my Phytoplankton into at least one more other jar and grow roughly 3/4 gallon of Phytoplankton at a time. I plan to alternate the days which I start the new cultures so that I can harvest more often. I'm anxious to see how the Copepods do! I'm a little afraid I'll mess up the culture, but we shall see!

Both the Phytoplankton from Mercer of Montana and the Copepods from Algae Barn came in super quick and were packed amazingly! I feel like there were more Copepods in each bottle than they advertise because they were SWARMING around in there!

Attachments

• IMG_4205.jpg
    IMG_4205.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnnnnnd we're back! Some very unfortunate events occurred .... My scooter blenny died of some internal parasite (to my knowledge). He was eating fine (live copepods and frozen) then one day he stopped eating. It took about 2 days but he dwindled quickly thereafter. he died while I was asleep and by the time I got up in the morning my two clown fish had already started pecking at the blenny's dead body. (it was obviously the clownfish that devoured him as I had no coc at the time). Shortly after, my clown fish died about 3 a month later.

As my fish started dying I started to have a pretty minor outbreak of cyano. I bought another Nero 3 and upped the flow within the tank and it pretty much killed off instantly. Like, I feel like, almost immediately. I now have 2 more fish and several corals! All parameters are in check, fish are doing well, copepods/phyto cultures are going strong as ever!

May 28, 2022:
I bought my first ever hammer it's beautiful! It also helps me kind of gage flow within the tank! I also bought a very beautiful "green apple" monti.

May 29, 2022:
I won a few GORGEOUS corals in an action!

I'll post pictures when they come in and I get a good clip for my phone!

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a SUPER simple parameters diary that I started using instead of pencil and paper. Please take it, share it, and make it better! I only ask if you make it better let me know what you did because I would love to improve on it! All you have to do is make a copy and add onto it!

Link: Parameters Diary

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the response above ^

Also, I finally bought some test kits to start testing my tank to get a better picture at what's going on inside of there. All of my parameters are looking really good except my Nitrates, which are sitting at a 5.2 from the Hanna HR test kit. I know some people say to sit between 10-20. Any advice how to get there? Should I just feed more? I believe my Alveapora is suffering from the low Nitrates as I have read that on multiple forums and Facebook groups.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back