40 Breeder newbie

Nomer Penaranda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started the saltwater hobby month ago, came from freshwater mainly chlorides was intimidated at first but gotta jump in to it to know right? So that's what I did.
started with:
Current marine orbit non Pro, Traded this light with Ai Prime HD realized it would be better since I'm planning on getting a bigger tank in future, was surprised on how it lit the 20 gallon long tank which people said wont be enough but It was doing a good job.
Aquaclear 70
sunsun power head

Now:
2 Ai Prime HD, well got my 2nd one hahaha I don't know what happened but one just mailed to me hmmm.... ;Hilarious ;)
Jebao OW10
Still using the Aquaclear 70 made a chamber for chaeto
Heater is a 150W Aqueon

I am planning on getting a bigger tank in the future but I also wanna gain some experience with this small tank before I go ahead and start another tank :)

I'm open to any advice and suggestions thanks!

Shots were taken with galaxy S10+(Old shots) , Galaxy S8 with Polyplab lens(Newer Shots)

here are some progression pics :) enjoy

20190719_140926.jpg
20190730_212448.jpg

20190811_140032.jpg

Latest Pics :)

20190820_183425.jpg

20190820_183914.jpg

20190820_183928.jpg

20190820_183932.jpg
20190820_183936.jpg

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup. Like the rock scape. Following >>>

OP
OP
Nomer Penaranda

Nomer Penaranda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good start!
Thanks!

Great start! you and I have a very similar setup and mine is rocking so if you keep up with the maintenance I think you're on a good track.
TANK.jpg

Nice tank! I want more hammer and leathers on mine something that would add more movement to the tank

OP
OP
Nomer Penaranda

Nomer Penaranda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're upgrading down the road I definitely recommend either a 40 breeder or 75g tank. Pair both with a slim overflow and a sump.

Tank is progressing nicely

Yes Ive been looking into that too, but i dont know if i can do a 75 im on a 2nd floor apt and plumbing and drilling I dont have tools haha

OP
OP
Nomer Penaranda

Nomer Penaranda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is funny because I'm pushing into more sps these days lol. We'll meet in the middle

haha yea same thing happened to me I was in the hunt for a monti cap but ended up with 3 encrusting but I like the ones I have so I didnt wanna return it ;Hilarious but yea thats also why I rescaped and open up some areas so I can get 1 or 2 more hammer or torch there I like those :)

OP
OP
Nomer Penaranda

Nomer Penaranda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanna post an update I just saw my toadstool coral shoot off a polyp and now its on the same frag plug I was curious what it was and I tried to touch/poke it and kinda reacted/retracted so im thinking its a baby toadstool from what Ive read on one post haha looks cool, I started target feeding too with reef roids for a week now and this is the 2nd time Ive seen this the first one I think my hammer coral caught the polyp I didnt know what it was so I let it happen, also my war coral feeding tenticles are active with the reef roids and the polyp amino forgot what its called anyway happy with the progress :D

Last edited:

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I am also rocking the 20 long. I really like the dimensions of the long nano. It allowed me to put a powerfull light over 2/3 of the tank for my lps and one with less power over the other 1/3 for my zoa island.
20190731_194055.jpg

OP
OP
Nomer Penaranda

Nomer Penaranda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I am also rocking the 20 long. I really like the dimensions of the long nano. It allowed me to put a powerfull light over 2/3 of the tank for my lps and one with less power over the other 1/3 for my zoa island.
20190731_194055.jpg
Nice! I like the stand, Im also trying to make a zoa garden on the right side of my tank they look cool i think im gonna be doing ricordias and rhodactice on the left rock

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I like the rock work that would look good filled with corals, hahaha expensive addiction

Thanks! I feel like it may be a little over crowded with rock and I may be removing a piece or two in the future. But for now I'm letting it all cycle and do its thing. :D

OP
OP
Nomer Penaranda

Nomer Penaranda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I feel like it may be a little over crowded with rock and I may be removing a piece or two in the future. But for now I'm letting it all cycle and do its thing. :D

I agree I ran into the same issue with mine my rock was too high at first and some corals didnt like it

OP
OP
Nomer Penaranda

Nomer Penaranda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just won my battle against some flatworms but I will keep and eye on it if it comes back, also cleared out cyano I used chemiclean when I saw it clearing out after a week then I used it when there was only small patch left cuz Ive read that its gonna be a phase of the fish tank so i let it ride hahaa

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back