20 Gallons of Life, a hand collected Bahamian reef.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enojoyed reading your build. Interesting creatures and very sad times with natural disasters.

I would love to have the sea in my back yard. After spending 2 weeks with every day snorkeling in the sea, I miss it being all the way here in the midwest of the usa. Very non-sea orientated.

Maybe when I retire. My husband says, well, you cannot have a tank if we live next to the sea. I said, I won't need one.

OP
OP
Island Reef 242

Island Reef 242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoying reading your journal. For observation, I like a color spectrum of 10K. It highlights red, yellow, orange and blue. With respect to intensity, I suggest less is better than more.
Thanks Subsea, I have one Kessil a360 tuna blue over this tank right now, with a controller so I can mess around with intensity and what not. The tank looks pleasing to my eye but is hard to get a good photo with a phone, might try turning down intensity when taking pictures.
With a small tank, this is called a RIP clean and is necessary when insufficient detrivores and/or insufficient sand/vac maintenance during partial water changes. With respect to bits of GHA on rocks with coral, soak rock for ten minutes in 10% solution of 3% h2o2.
Thanks for the advice for getting rid of GHA, will remember if it ever happens again.
With respect to power failures, consider this for automatic backup to air demand.

I actually have one like this on a cooler designed to keep fish alive, will have to remember to use it next time.
@Island Reef 242
With expect to your future/in progress 75G build, why cryptic refugium? Perhaps start your 75G build thread with why you choose it as a part of your biofiltration strategy.
Good Idea to say why I am doing things instead of just saying this is what I am doing in a build thread.

As far as why a cryptic refugium? Well, on a large reef most of the pretty corals and stuff is on the surface of the reef cause they need sun, but underneath there is a bunch of nooks, crevasses, and caves with their own unique life that do not see sunlight, i.e. cryptic. This area is most of the bulk that makes up the reef, so in theory ( I feel ) it must be beneficial to the overall health of the reef. So If we are trying to replicate the natural reef, why not have a cryptic zone or two in our systems.

OP
OP
Island Reef 242

Island Reef 242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so cool dude!! What a dream scenario for probably most on this forum...definitely can speak for myself! Cant imagine going into the "backyard" to find actual reef-life for my tank. Sooooo jelly my man!

Definitely following!!
Thanks, It is nice but cold for me right now so will have to wait a little while till I can go collecting again.

OP
OP
Island Reef 242

Island Reef 242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enojoyed reading your build. Interesting creatures and very sad times with natural disasters.

I would love to have the sea in my back yard. After spending 2 weeks with every day snorkeling in the sea, I miss it being all the way here in the midwest of the usa. Very non-sea orientated.

Maybe when I retire. My husband says, well, you cannot have a tank if we live next to the sea. I said, I won't need one.
Living next to the sea is nice but can be scary some times cause the elements are constantly trying to take back what you have claimed. Having a tank wherever you live is good cause it can give you that peace of mind and calmness you get when you are in the water, while you are out of the water. That's why so many doctors used to have fish tanks in their office, to help calm patients down.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back