20 Long Stocking - Final

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I saw a post from @Nem1clownfish2 asking about a 20 gallon long's stocking. I wanted to recreate something similar as I saw it worked well for Nem1clownfish2. Also, I'm not trying to copy their post or anything like that, just merely trying to replicate the idea if you know what I mean. so anyway, I have a 10 gallon rn but I am def upgrading to a 20 long. the two fish I have rn is one black ocie clown and one orchid dottyback. the other fish choices are below. I want to have around 4-5 fish but def no more than 5. I wanna have like 1-2 fish per "level" like one for the substrate, some for the middle and some for the top level. anway, the choices are below just tell me the numbers that you think would work in a 20 long reef.

already have:
1 black oce clown
1 orchid dottyback (captive-bred and it is also a baby rn)

choices:

1. Clownfish (another one)
2. Banggai Cardinalfish
3. Possum wrasse
4. Lawnmower Blenny
5. court jester goby
6. Yellowhead jawfish
7. longnose hawkfish
8. bicolor blenny
9. tailspot blenny
10. wheelers goby/prawn goby (but not going to get a shrimp)
11. yellow watchman goby

just comment the number(s) please.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i have my 3 picks HOWEVER, my opinion doesn't matter

its your tank; choose top 3 and we'll discuss if they work/what changes should be made

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful with another clownfish. I’ve seen some recent posts about this situation. Even when they’re different size and/or already sexually determined, it’s still a territorial battle and the small one can get beat up bad.

I added an orchid dotty to a tank with a sand goby, and found the dotty got very territorial too. This was really distressing, though it’s mostly calmed down.

With all that in mind, I love this long nose hawkfish and think one would hold its own in there.

Mschoolman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. I love my banggai can’t go wrong with them
4. 20 won’t be big enough, he needs lots of algae to eat
8. Also make sure you have a cover if you get a blenny, they like to jump. But a bicolor blenny would be another good one

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i have my 3 picks HOWEVER, my opinion doesn't matter

its your tank; choose top 3 and we'll discuss if they work/what changes should be made
True, but just to see other people’s opinions, what would you suggest? I am leaning towards a Banggaii, a yellow head jawfish, andmaybe some type of goby, or a long nose hawk fish but idk how a long nose would do in a 20 long with a cuc and cleaner shrimp.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a captive bred orchid dotty and after about 1.5 years? It became very aggressive. I would not mix super peaceful fish like the possum or jester with it. It also killed my cleaner shrimp. It was in a 20g long tank so I assume the issue was a now adult semi-aggressive fish in too small of a space. It wanted to claim the entire tank.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. I love my banggai can’t go wrong with them
4. 20 won’t be big enough, he needs lots of algae to eat
8. Also make sure you have a cover if you get a blenny, they like to jump. But a bicolor blenny would be another good one
Yea banggaiis are pretty cool, yea that’s why I’ve been holding off on a lawnmower tbh and I also wanted a Midas but just held off due to them needing a 30+ and a orchid is already pushing it in a 20 long, no need to push it any further. Would a bicolor or a tail spot be better? And, just making sure, they’d both do good with an orchid right? Asking cause they both like the rocks and caves.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a captive bred orchid dotty and after about 1.5 years? It became very aggressive. I would not mix super peaceful fish like the possum or jester with it. It also killed my cleaner shrimp. It was in a 20g long tank so I assume the issue was a now adult semi-aggressive fish in too small of a space. It wanted to claim the entire tank.
Ooo I’ve heard so many stories abt orchids and I’m def worried. Tbh the orchid was an impulse buy and I do wish to give it back every now and then so I can get something like a firefish. But I’ll see later on, it’s still like barely past inch. If it does do literally anything I have no problem getting rid of it tbh. But anyway, what choices would you suggest?

Mschoolman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea banggaiis are pretty cool, yea that’s why I’ve been holding off on a lawnmower tbh and I also wanted a Midas but just held off due to them needing a 30+ and a orchid is already pushing it in a 20 long, no need to push it any further. Would a bicolor or a tail spot be better? And, just making sure, they’d both do good with an orchid right? Asking cause they both like the rocks and caves.
Ya they’d both be chill together.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya they’d both be chill together.
hey sorry to reactivate an old thread but i was just curious, would you recommend a midas blenny in a 20 gallon long tank (same foot print as a 30 gall, just 6 inches less height) with one black clown, a banggaii, and a firefish/watchman goby? i really wanted a midas for so long just im worried a 20 long wont be enough. please and thank you!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a yellow banded possum wrasse for a few months now and I never ever see it, just spends its time picking pods in the back. Not worth a spot in a 20 gallon imo when you’re already very limited on the number of fish you can have.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a yellow banded possum wrasse for a few months now and I never ever see it, just spends its time picking pods in the back. Not worth a spot in a 20 gallon imo when you’re already very limited on the number of fish you can have.
would you recommend a midas blenny in a 20 long? itll be with one clown, a banggai, and a firefish/watchman goby.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you recommend a midas blenny in a 20 long? itll be with one clown, a banggai, and a firefish/watchman goby.
midas blenny can actually get pretty big, i would say no to midas blenny. Also liveaquaria explicitly states that midas blenny may nip at firefish or gobies (lol at how specific that line is for your tank)

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Royal Gramma would be awesome. Super colorful and peaceful. Other than that, my choice would be a Tailspot Blenny. Small and tons of character.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Royal Gramma would be awesome. Super colorful and peaceful. Other than that, my choice would be a Tailspot Blenny. Small and tons of character.
Ehhh not too sure abt the rg, I’ve heard wayyy to many stories abt them. Tailspot I’m considering rn. Just curious tho, would a tailspot work with a yellow watchman goby?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehhh not too sure abt the rg, I’ve heard wayyy to many stories abt them. Tailspot I’m considering rn. Just curious tho, would a tailspot work with a yellow watchman goby?
They all get along. I have a firefish, two clowns, a tailspot, a yellow watchman, and a royal gramma and it's a completely peaceful community. What have you heard about royal grammas?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish are more than likely to fight each other. RGs are pretty docile.

Just don't mistake them for a psuedochromis. A lot of people do.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I saw a post from @Nem1clownfish2 asking about a 20 gallon long's stocking. I wanted to recreate something similar as I saw it worked well for Nem1clownfish2. Also, I'm not trying to copy their post or anything like that, just merely trying to replicate the idea if you know what I mean. so anyway, I have a 10 gallon rn but I am def upgrading to a 20 long. the two fish I have rn is one black ocie clown and one orchid dottyback. the other fish choices are below. I want to have around 4-5 fish but def no more than 5. I wanna have like 1-2 fish per "level" like one for the substrate, some for the middle and some for the top level. anway, the choices are below just tell me the numbers that you think would work in a 20 long reef.

already have:
1 black oce clown
1 orchid dottyback (captive-bred and it is also a baby rn)

choices:

1. Clownfish (another one)
2. Banggai Cardinalfish
3. Possum wrasse
4. Lawnmower Blenny
5. court jester goby
6. Yellowhead jawfish
7. longnose hawkfish
8. bicolor blenny
9. tailspot blenny
10. wheelers goby/prawn goby (but not going to get a shrimp)
11. yellow watchman goby

just comment the number(s) please.
all would be ok

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all get along. I have a firefish, two clowns, a tailspot, a yellow watchman, and a royal gramma and it's a completely peaceful community. What have you heard about royal grammas?
Just curious, how big is your tank? Also, I’ve just heard stories abt them being overly aggressive. There’s even a guy on here whose name is literally I hate royal grammas I believe. Whether or not there bad rep is deserved I’m not sure, but I just want to keep my first saltwater tank as peaceful and easy as possible. Plus it’s only 20 gallons and im pretty sure grammas need 30.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back