20% SPS 40% LPS and 40% Zoas etc?

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want the above ratio if possible. The LPS and Zoas are important, but what species of SPS would work in such a situation? I have an 80 gallon with 2 AI hydra 26 HDs. Was thinking Monti and chalice. Not interested in staghorn. I was successful with chalice a few years ago before the "great dying" at which point my tank has been sort of maintenance only as it sucked the spirit out of me.

vpoiu1263

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good when keeping your nitrate below 2 ppm, phosphate below 0.05 ppm, and keep your organic at low level. Water parameters is stable for sure. They would good in the same tank.

OP
OP
B

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good when keeping your nitrate below 2 ppm, phosphate below 0.05 ppm, and keep your organic at low level. Water parameters is stable for sure. They would good in the same tank.
Are you running GFO? What about refugium or bio pellet reactor?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as nutrients are stable and you dont let them zero out you should be fine with anything.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you want to keep... I have lots of LPS, softies and zoa's and many SPS including acro's as well. It really just depends on your light and flow and abilities.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify a chalice is LPS. I only mention because it seems like you are proposing that as an SPS...which may not matter other than generally chalices need low to moderate light and flow and should not be treated like the majority of SPS.

As far as SPS montis should be fine....as should anything else. Just do try for an ultra low nutrient tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand the ultra low nutrient comments. That’s sort of been de-bunked as people have successfully run tanks at many different nutrient levels. Best to find what works for your tank.

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough, that is exactly the ratio I am at right now.

I run a refugium, skimmer, socks, but i do dose nitrates every 2 days.

Po4 0.08-0.12 ppm
No4 0.5 ppm
Alk 8.0
Ca 450
Mg 1350

Red sea trace colors 0.7ml every 2 days

Water change every 2 weeks

20210514_191022.jpg

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand the ultra low nutrient comments. That’s sort of been de-bunked as people have successfully run tanks at many different nutrient levels. Best to find what works for your tank.

Yes that is true. Just insure you have proper husbandry and you should be fine. Seems like you have enough equipment to support the sps. Not sure about powerheads, but you should have some what of a "current" to have proper nutrient export. Like I mentioned prior having enough beneficial bacteria - LR, LS, Bricks, Pods etc, can help with the circle of life ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back