Discussion in 'Nano Reefs' started by fissues, Apr 14, 2019.

1. fissues

fissues Member

I haven't had a tank in about 6 or 7 years. The last one was a low budget 75 that I tore down while I did a stint as a photographer for a high end reef shop in the midwest. I only ever had the desire to do 1 more tank, and it's this one. It's been in the plans the whole time evolving with the knowledge I've gained from consulting on hundreds of builds, caring for some of the rarest fish to be imported, and farming crazy amounts of coral. I've just been waiting for the right combination of money, gear, technology, and life balance to make it work with my highly eratic lifestyle.

I'll try not to screw it up

Current stage:
    20190414_174153.jpg

SPR1968 likes this.

2. fissues

fissues Member

Also, this..

20190325_133756_HDR.jpg

20190412_003837.jpg

SPR1968 likes this.
  3. SPR1968

SPR1968 Fish & Coral Addict! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 UK Reef Club Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

That looks great so far and welcome to R2R!

fissues likes this.
  4. Jon Fishman

Jon Fishman Valuable Member

Your tank has an open front, and it's made of cardboard...... I'm afraid it won't hold water.

Welcome! Following along.

SPR1968, Reeferguy365 and fissues like this.
  5. fissues

fissues Member

Thanks, I'll have more to look at shortly!

D4mn, for a few minutes there I thought this was gonna be easy... Well, I guess now you at least know where the username comes from.

SPR1968 likes this.
  6. fissues

fissues Member

1/2" Baltic Birch on the bottom and sides. 3/4" on top. So many people underestimate the strength of a simple plywood box made with quality lumber and some strong wood glue.

20190415_161523.jpg

Aaron4890 and dantimdad like this.
  7. Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Welcome! Following to see what you have planned!

fissues likes this.
  8. fissues

fissues Member

Thanks. The goal is to get water in by the end of the week, but I've got a packed schedule so it may take until early next week.

Pbh-reef likes this.
  9. KorD

KorD Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R. I like the stand, and with an open front it will disperse the heat of the pumps... I totally forgot about that and have to get a fan..lol

10. fissues

fissues Member

Thanks.

Actually it's going to have a single, solid front door. I'm going to have to cut a hole for plumbing in the back, and then I will most likely cut something separate for ventilation which will probably also involve a couple computer fans for efficiency.

11. dantimdad

dantimdad Valuable Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award North Alabama Reef Club

Completely 100% agree!

fissues likes this.
  12. fissues

fissues Member

So I got hired for a few video jobs out in Nashville the first half of May, so I haven't even been in town to think about the setup. I'm about ready to start putting things together over the next week or so.

Here's where I'm at...
    20190518_174711.jpg
    I still haven't finished the door for this stand, but I wanna get some water in this thing so I'll add that later.

'scape' s done... TOTM, please.
    20190518_180310.jpg

Today I'll try to finish getting the display looking how I want it and post some pics. I will have a sump on this thing, but I need to drill a couple holes in the back of the stand, so ill be able to add the overflow/plumbing later in the week. Any guesses what I chose?

20190518_174711.jpg

dantimdad likes this.
  13. fissues

fissues Member

The sand finally settled from yesterday, and I think this is the aquascape I'm gonna go with...

20190520_074418.jpg

20190520_074231.jpg

20190520_075213.jpg

I had a few other ideas before this, but I specifically wanted something minimal that draws elements from the freshwater iwagumi world. This one also looked the least like a awkwardly balanced pile of rocks out of all the other hardscapes I tried. I can already imagine exactly where to place which species to compliment the overall look as everything grows out.

I probably only used about half of the rock I bought and spent a number of hours trying different combinations and deciding over 2 days until I settled on this.

Aaron4890 and dantimdad like this.
  14. dantimdad

dantimdad Valuable Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award North Alabama Reef Club

Amano would be proud.

Looks great!

fissues likes this.
  15. fissues

fissues Member

Thanks man! I feel like it's much harder to do with reef rock than it is with most freshwater components.

Draft saved Draft deleted