Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to not modify the sump if you can avoid it. Just use the different compartments as they are and it will work great.

For the plumbing, you won't have a lot of choice but to modify some of it since it's metric and convert it over to imperial plumbing if you are in the states.

The tank and stand are great and high quality, no complaints there.

The drain is super loud, I would put gate or ball valves on both returns and dial them in as needed to reduce noise.

Outside of that, very happy with the purchase!

Stay away from a Macro Algae reactor and don't convert to a filter roller if you want to save yourself a huge headache :) Just go lowtech with filter socks and a small fuge. Will save you a huge hassle and changing socks every 5 days is honestly not bad, I find it less annoying than using the Clarisea (though I can go 2 months without having to change it which is nice)!

Good luck and make a build thread!
FYI

I am having good luck with my Tunze. It doesn’t spin but as you can see below it grows well. I do have to supplement some carbon dosing as I have a very heavy bio load. Keeps nitrates below 5 and Phosphates below 0.06.

It fits well and easy to maintain.

DC1E5DC5-A04B-4F11-A5DB-0B6FD50369AF.jpeg

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI

I am having good luck with my Tunze. It doesn’t spin but as you can see below it grows well. I do have to supplement some carbon dosing as I have a very heavy bio load. Keeps nitrates below 5 and Phosphates below 0.06.

It fits well and easy to maintain.

DC1E5DC5-A04B-4F11-A5DB-0B6FD50369AF.jpeg
Yes! @Big C has had great success. His Tunze would be the way to go. I think the Reef Octopus 200 is too big and the light is too high powered??? Not sure, but I literally cooked 3 batches of Chaeto in there before my wife gave me the look and told me to sell it.

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird side update - went out of town this weekend. Tank was stable, PH a little low but nothing crazy (7.8 instead of 8). Came home and all 6 of our Zoa colonies had melted.

Everything else in the tank was fine and temps / params looked fine.

Spooky...

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were the elbows that cap on the stock PVC, I cut all of that up and then use adapters to make it fit standard US PVC piping.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back