2019's BEST Protein Skimmers! These are the winners this year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the water/foam level adjustable to the point where if I lower the speed via an Apex controller can I keep the level low without turning the pump completely off. Currently, during feed mode I have to cut the power to the skimmer to keep if from overflowing. The problem is whatever organics are in the chamber but haven't made it to the collection cup are now at the bottom of the chamber and the detritus just constantly collections. Theoretically, if the pump speed is lowered during feeding and raised again when the sump is at normal levels those organics stay suspended. I'm looking at the Regal series and hope that may solve my problem. Thanks @randyBRS I always look forward to your videos!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole idea that adjusting the height of the water foam column cannot control if it is a wet or dry Skim is absolutely false. Most of us have been and are still using AC skimmers that very easily control the kind of skimate without messing with the air intake levels via a valve or using a DC pump.

I guess my ASM G3 skimmer has been producing the skim I want by some sort of magic because I have never messed with the air flow or pump speed. Mine is set to a dry skim and has been set at the same height setting for at least 10 years. I raise it a bit if I want wet skim and that also works just fine.

The whole take away I got from the video was that we need to buy a new skimmer with a DC pump. How on earth did we ever survive so long without skimmers using DC pumps? I challenge you guys to put an old school ASM G3 or G4 (which is still sold today) against an equivalent sized DC skimmer of your choice and lets see if there is any difference.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a single mention of Bubble Magus line of DC skimmers. Perhaps BRS get perks from the only brands they review, or they use these brands mainly for USA customers. I live in Western Australia. Obviously our supply and demand chain is different - Indochina mainly. Bubble Magus is made in Singapore - a mere 4.5 hour flight from Perth. Friends and family go there frequently. Ask them to buy duty free and you save a bundle. The equivalent of $AU150 ($US110) got me a Magus Curve 9+ DC. Need a new pump or want to change from the old Magus AC to DC? Same deal - get it from an LFS in Singapore either yourself or family/friends, duty free!
I'm running the Curve 9+DC and it is so simple to adjust, but needs to be in the correct depth. For my sump, I adjusted the skimmer section water level to 10 inches and can control wet to dry at the twist of a gate valve that's numbered. It's very quiet too. Gets the job done superbly, very simple and easy to clean, has a small footprint and large skimmate collection cup.
The one thing I can't do is bring back livestock without paying a fee for Australian quarantine. You should see the marine livestock they have there. Makes me drool! :p
20191121_120547.jpg 20191121_120431.jpg

Last edited:

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal exclusiv is nest skimmer I've had. This thing is a beast.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a single mention of Bubble Magus line of DC skimmers. Perhaps BRS get perks from the only brands they review, or they use these brands mainly for USA customers. I live in Western Australia. Obviously our supply and demand chain is different - Indochina mainly. Bubble Magus is made in Singapore - a mere 4.5 hour flight from Perth. Friends and family go there frequently. Ask them to buy duty free and you save a bundle. The equivalent of $AU150 ($US110) got me a Magus Curve 9+ DC. Need a new pump or want to change from the old Magus AC to DC? Same deal - get it from an LFS in Singapore either yourself or family/friends, duty free!
I'm running the Curve 9+DC and it is so simple to adjust, but needs to be in the correct depth. For my sump, I adjusted the skimmer section water level to 10 inches and can control wet to dry at the twist of a gate valve that's numbered. It's very quiet too. Gets the job done superbly, very simple and easy to clean, has a small footprint and large skimmate collection cup.
The one thing I can't do is bring back livestock without paying a fee for Australian quarantine. You should see the marine livestock they have there. Makes me drool! :p
20191121_120547.jpg 20191121_120431.jpg
The government actually runs a quarantine department for imported marine livestock? Wow that is amazing but I am wondering who pays for this and if it is the importer how expensive is it?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole idea that adjusting the height of the water foam column cannot control if it is a wet or dry Skim is absolutely false. Most of us have been and are still using AC skimmers that very easily control the kind of skimate without messing with the air intake levels via a valve or using a DC pump.

I guess my ASM G3 skimmer has been producing the skim I want by some sort of magic because I have never messed with the air flow or pump speed. Mine is set to a dry skim and has been set at the same height setting for at least 10 years. I raise it a bit if I want wet skim and that also works just fine.

The whole take away I got from the video was that we need to buy a new skimmer with a DC pump. How on earth did we ever survive so long without skimmers using DC pumps? I challenge you guys to put an old school ASM G3 or G4 (which is still sold today) against an equivalent sized DC skimmer of your choice and lets see if there is any difference.

I absolutely thought the same way and it definitely makes sense. What wound up changing the way I think about "wet" vs. "dry" came from months of testing skimmers and skimmer air draw performance, then visually seeing a noticeable difference between the two types of foam produced at lower velocity air versus high velocity air.

The results were just so compelling, but what I also learned is that one is not necessarily better than the other (which came from the results of the last experiment).

In the end there's really no right or wrong here, we simply do what's best for our tanks and what works for us individually. Some of the initial tests from these experiments might be a bit slow, but as they expand we really find out some interesting results. It's definitely worth the watch if you're interested.

Here's the entire skimmer testing playlist if you want to check it out. :)

Back