2021 Board of Directors Elections

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello CTARS members,

I’m very sorry we are late with the board nominations this year. It’s been a crazy 2020 for all of us and I hope you understand! That being said we are already getting some people that are showing enough interest to help us in new formats and continue to finish some of the outstanding projects we are working on. Like a new website, which we as the 2020 BOD all agreed was a major need to centralize the clubs connection space for members. That being said….

We always need some people that can help us take that excitement and continue on, making it bigger and better. Most communication is done remotely with conference calls and chat apps. During normal months, time required (at the meeting and behind the scenes - board meetings, planning/conference calls) is about 1-3 hrs per month. Fragtoberfest planning months require the team to work together, and all put in an hour or two a week.

Here is a list of the roles and brief description of duties:

The President
The main job of the President is to grow the membership and direct the future expansion of the club. The President shall attend all regular monthly and special membership meetings of CTARS as well as preside at the regular monthly membership meetings and at other special meetings of CTARS. He or she will appoint special committees and be an ex-officio member of these as well. The President shall be the principal executive officer of CTARS, subject to the control of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws, and shall, in general, supervise and control all of the business affairs CTARS. He or She shall, when present, preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors. He or She may sign, with the Secretary or any other proper officer of the Society there unto authorized by the Board of Directors, any deed, mortgages, bonds, contracts or any other instruments which the Board of Directors has authorized to be executed, except in cases where the signing and execution thereof shall be expressly delegated by the Board of Directors or by these Bylaws to some other officer or agent of the Society, or shall be required by law to be otherwise signed or executed; and in general shall perform all duties incident to the office of President and such other duties as may be prescribed by the Board of Directors from time to time. The President and treasurer shall both be designated as account executives. Furthermore, the President will call the board of Directors together and presides at these meetings. He or she can appoint the chair of all standing committees subject to the approval of the Board of Directors as well as call special meetings whenever deemed necessary also.

The Vice President
In the absence of the president, or his or her refusal or inability to act, the Vice President shall perform the duties of the President, and when so acting, shall have all the powers and responsibilities of and be subject to all the restrictions upon the President. The Vice President shall perform such other duties that may be assigned to him or her, from time to time, by the President or the Board of Directors. The Vice President shall be a member of all Committees and shall be informed of any business of said Committee so that he or she may present it to the board in the absence of said Committee Chairman. The Vice President shall also act as sponsor liaison. The Vice President shall become President should the President Leave CTARS. The Vice president shall have the power to appoint no more than two (2) CTARS members, which are in good standing, to assist with the membership application process. The Vice President shall announce to the Board of Directors those two regular Members of CTARS he or she wishes to assist in the membership application process prior to the next regular meeting.

The Secretary
It shall be the responsibility of the Secretary to inscribe the proceedings including the date, time and place of all meetings, in one or more books, and to be prepared to read the specified records when requested. They are to see that all notices are duly given in accordance with the provisions of the Bylaws or as required by law. The office requires the maintenance of CTARS records, except those designated to other officers. The Secretary should also maintain a register of all Members’ telephone numbers, e-mail and USPS addresses at all times. When the President and Vice president are absent in any meeting, the Secretary shall preside. The Secretary shall also be responsible for maintaining copies of all correspondence as directed by the board. Furthermore, the secretary shall attend all regular monthly and special membership meetings of CTARS. It is also essential to countersign as secretary of CTARS all instruments, papers, and documents when asked to do so by the board of directors.

The Treasurer
The Treasurer is custodian of all funds and securities of CTARS and as so, must take adequate precautions to safeguard them at all times. The Treasurer shall keep in order financial records and/or books, and all tender by check and expenses incurred by the Club. It is essential to receive, and give receipts, for all monies due and payable to CTARS from any source whatsoever, and deposit all such monies in the name of CTARS in such banks, trust companies, or other depositories as shall be selected in accordance with the provisions of the Bylaws. The Treasurer is required to present immediately prior to the end of the fiscal year, all financial records to the person specified by the Board of Directors for audit and shall include a written statement of the financial condition of the club, including a statement of receipts and expenditures. The Treasurer shall also present a financial report to the Board of Directors anytime at the request of any member of the Board of Directors. Furthermore, the treasurer must attend all regular monthly and special membership meetings of CTARS and report upon all the financial transactions of CTARS at the regular monthly membership meetings, or at any time requested by the current board of directors. He or she must dispense money for the payment of bills and current expenses of CTARS as authorized by the board of directors and keep the same as part of the treasurer’s records. In addition, they must receive dues, raffle monies, auction monies or any other funds that are collected during the regular monthly meeting, or any event that is in which CTARS may be participating in as directed by the President or the Board of Directors. Moreover, the Treasurer must prepare all regulatory and tax filings as required under federal and state statues.

The Board will announce their nominations soon. Any member in Good Standing can have their name added to the slate, however you will need to have someone second your nomination. Also taking into account our late posting any member with a 2020 membership will have their nominations and vote count.

Please, before you post anyone's name on here, check with the person you are nominating to be sure they are willing to do the job before nominating them!! Once they accept, there will have to be a 2nd to get them on the ballot.

Nominations will close on Friday January 22nd 2021 at the end of the day. For the past years we have had very little willingness to be on the CTARS board. As well as no able and willing participants to hold the Vice President position in 2020. It is my opinion that many hands make light work and the more help and involvement we have the easier it will be to accomplish club goals and make it bigger and better for all members.

CTARS has been a club for a long time. It’s been through a lot but has still maintained itself as a successful club. If we have so many people that want to be in the club we will move forward with voting that will happen during this 2 week period online. People have asked, why we do this on-line? CTARS has some long time members that do not attend meetings, yet they renew their dues each year to help support the club. On-line voting gives every the opportunity to vote. After the 2 weeks we will announce the Board. Thank you all for your patience and we all wish for a happier healthier 2021 and hope to see you all at meetings again as soon as we can do that safely.

We will be hosting a zoom meeting this Wednesday January the 13th thanks to some ambitious and helpful members of this forum. Which at least myself, the 2020 president, will attend and answer any questions members may have about 2021 plans and the state of any club matters. I hope to see many people there and look forward to chatting with everyone again!

Sincerely,
Earl Courchesne 2020 CTARS President

Ti64reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the link for tomorrows meeting.

Richard Merlino is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: CTARS Meeting
Time: Jan 13, 2021 08:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 881 3943 5170
Passcode: Q7pF15

A.Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think Kurt @kgstei mentioned at the time of nomination his check hadn't cleared ;) so to uphold bi-law blah blah I'm also nominating Bill @chevy4w for Secretary.
I would also like to nominate RJ @Ti64reef who set up today's zoom meeting for President.
Last and by no means least (thanks for everything you've done the last couple years) I would like to nominate Earl @Good_vibes_reefing (2020 President) for Vice President.
Also, it's not a bi-laws board position, but I appreciate Ricky @duberii offering to help with communication. If the 2021 President were to create a PR/Communications/Social Media position I'd support Ricky for that. My support is totally unnecessary and officially utterly irrelevant but I'm putting it out there anyway.

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be my pleasure to second the nomination of RJ(Ti64Reef)for President.

It would be my pleasure as well to second the nomination of Earl(Good Vibes Reefing)for Vice President.

And I would also support the creation of PR/Communications/Social Media and I think Ricky would do a fantastic job of it.

I would like to nominate Aaron(A. Jones) for Treasurer.

Bill

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copied and pasted from the CTARS By-Laws:

Public Relations Representative

The Public Relations Representative of CTARS shall be chosen by the newly elected President at the beginning of his or her term. The position shall be considered as a part of a CTARS committee therefore, additional Representative's shall be chosen to aid the head Representative throughout the year.
The Public Relations Representative Shall

The Public Relations Representative establishes and maintains mutual lines of communication, understanding, acceptance and cooperation between the members, as well as between the sponsors and the general public, working to increase awareness of CTARS through all available public relations.

Duties should include but not be limited to:

1. Work as part of a team along with the other Club Officers, team mentors and the various sub committees in the Club.
  2. Manage communications to the community through newsletters, CTARS website, mailings or other means.
  3. Develop relationships with other marine aquarium societies.
  4. Maintain relationships with sponsors and local fish stores.
  5. Make sure the Club is well presented.
  6. Keep records.

By-Laws seem to need an update too, IMO (eventually).

Last edited:

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be my pleasure to second the nomination of RJ(Ti64Reef)for President.

It would be my pleasure as well to second the nomination of Earl(Good Vibes Reefing)for Vice President.

And I would also support the creation of PR/Communications/Social Media and I think Ricky would do a fantastic job of it.

I would like to nominate Aaron(A. Jones) for Treasurer.

Bill
I gladly second the nomination of A.Jones for club treasurer.

Ti64reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should we all get together this week for a quick call. Any evening but Wednesday works fine for me

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so, even if it is to exchange phone numbers and email addresses.

Last edited:

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to thank everyone that has stepped up to take on these positions.

I haven't been very active in the club and have not consistently maintained membership over the past 7-8 years, but the meetings and people have always been great. It looked like the club was about to dissolve at this time last year. I appreciate everyone that is willing to take on the responsibility of running the club to keep it going.

capture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to help out. I'm not sure how things have shaken out at the moment and I don't know that I can step into any official role at the moment but I have ideas on how to make this work and get people involved. I really enjoyed when I was part of this group the last time around. I've had the "is the hobby dead in CT" thread open for two weeks on my browser trying to come up with a good response. Please hit me up if anyone needs help or wants to pass ideas, etc.

I feel an online happy hour could get things going in the right direction if its not planned already.

Ti64reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea. I'll try to get one set up. I met with some of the team on Sunday and I'll get the kickoff meeting for the bod going for this week

Back