2021 New England Frag Farmer's Market Official "Plan"

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I apologize to my CTARS peeps for not posting this info here. I have been dropping info on the FFM Facebook page the past few months and neglected to post the info here (don't worry it was all the forums I forgot, not just my home one here...)- SORRY!​

Anyway, here is the Official Plan for the 2021 New England Frag Farmer's Market...

A little background...
The original intent of the FFM was so that I could host a show where hobbyists could set up next to the “big names” in the business. I have always believed that aquaculture is the key to keeping our hobby going and my hope was that if I gave everyone a chance to be able to sell their farmed corals we could create a long term model to sustain the hobby I love. I am proud to say that the FFM has become a MONSTER and some of the hobbyists who started small at the FFM have become “big names” now and have grown into large scale farmers, supplying hundreds of corals to marine aquariums across the country. I have also been a big advocate of the local fish store. They are where most of us start out and the people who have the heater that you need, that day, to save your tank. My hope was to still be able to continue this mission with this year’s FFM. That said...

But Corona Virus...
With the current virus numbers the way that they are, states asking for people to quarantine (including CT), limits on the number of people at indoor gatherings, and the fact that I run the FFM at a school, I have decided to run the FFM very differently this year... forced to, really. I reached out to a bunch of different hobbyists/shops to get their thoughts about what would work best for them this year. It was obvious that there isn’t really a good solution, but I think what I have come up with is the best option, given the state of the world right now. I present to you the

147144752_3646717788745531_7962963256220219867_o.jpg

“FFM Roadtrip Weekend”

The Plan
I am organizing the “FFM Roadtrip Weekend” for March 6th and 7th, the weekend that the FFM would normally be on. My thought is that we have all been sitting around, staring at our tanks, saving up/prepping for the FFM, hoping that it would happen. I am asking people to do the FFM, just don’t do it at my place- jump in the car and take a road trip that weekend. Visit your local fish store, and then visit a few other places too. Go spend that money that you have been saving with the people who would have been a part of the FFM all along. Support the places that you would be supporting at the FFM by visiting and buying some nice stuff for your tank. Here is what it looks like for different groups:

LFS- I am working with local shops to have special sales for that weekend. Some of them are hosting other vendors, or company reps to show off their products. I have been pushing them to do a “sale to end all sales” for the FFM this year. Make a trip out to see your local shop, then jump in the car and go visit one that you don’t normally see.

Hobbyists- I am also working with the hobbyists to set-up galleries of what they have to sell here on this FB page, and maybe elsewhere (working on this part still). They will be posting galleries, making sales, and then arranging to meet at LFS, or have people stop by their place to pick up. I am going to let each hobbyist decide what they are comfortable with.

E.O. Smith Coral Project and the other schools- I plan to put some of our corals up in a gallery as well, similar to the hobbyists. I am encouraging the other schools to do the same. I feel that these programs are vital to our hobby, and the planet. We need to get kids involved in conservation and the marine aquarium hobby!

Long Distance Vendors- Most of the LDV’s will be offering online specials for that weekend (free shipping, sales, etc…). I am going to encourage them to post things in the FB group as well. I will be adding these people to the map as well, just with websites/links. I am looking to host a few FFM exclusive live sales for a few of the vendors- more info on that as we get closer.

The Map
I am working on putting together a map, with all of the locations that you can visit, including a list of all of the specials that they will have for that weekend. It will look similar to a wine trail, or brewery, map. I am asking you guys, who would normally come out to the FFM to make the trip out to as many as you can on the map for the weekend. Just do me a favor and let them know that you are out on an FFM Roadtrip!

Who will be a part of this year’s FFM?
After quite a bit of debate, and an argument or two… I have decided to limit the participation in this event to people who were sellers at the 2020 FFM. I have been reaching out to people when I have a few minutes and if I have not reached out to you yet- shoot me a message. I know that there are a TON of other hobbyists who have gotten into small scale “farming” and I do want to encourage that but I also feel like I need to support the people who have officially been sellers at the FFM in the past. So, despite the fact that I could include everyone in this type of event, I am going to limit participation to hobbyists who sold at last year's event. If anyone has any questions about that, PM me and we can talk.

Is it the same thing? No...
I realize that this is not what most of you want for this year. It has been a frustrating year for everyone, and this ends up being just another thing on the list. I apologize to those of you who really wanted the FFM to be back, just like previous years. I just cannot, in good conscience, host a huge event like the FFM at the school, nor do I feel like hosting it somewhere else is the right thing to do. I have heard the “So, what we do every weekend?” complaint. I disagree with that because I have organized sales at all the local shops and online specials for the other ones. People call the FFM “Reefer Christmas” so here are your Black Friday Sales. To be clear, I am not charging any of the shops, or hobbyists any set up fee this year. I am actually not making any money for the school program from this, with the exception of any corals we sell. I have never been in this for the money, just to put together the best reef show I can for you guys. Given the circumstances, this is the best option for the FFM this year. My plan is to take a road trip myself that weekend to see some of the shops I don’t normally get to. So saddle up, and maybe I’ll see you out there!

More to come!
I do still have a few things up my sleeve to make this just a little bit better- giveaways, contests, etc… I will be making announcements on the FB page as things come together. Just a few little things to make your FFM Roadtrip worth your while!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon, I really appreciate all you have done for the reefer, hobby, young kids, and Connecticut for that matter. You have put us on the map in the aquarium hobby.
I am truly looking forward to the map so I can visit some of these stores that I have not been to.
I hoping next year we can finally get back to what our normal life used to be and do the FFM properly.
Hats off to you!

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the FFM list and map so far...

FFM Map 2021.jpg

AC Corals (#7 on the map):
Set-up at OSA Farm:
1032 Tiogue Ave
Coventry, RI 02816

Agcore Fish Food
https://www.agcorefishfood.com
*Free shipping with code “FFM” all weekend

Alex's Advanced Aquatics (#4 on the map)
74 Palomba Dr Suite E,
Enfield, CT 06082
*$10 off $50 purchases and $20 off $100, $8 asst. Clowns

Aqua Dreams - Infinity Reefs - CT (#6 on the map)
220 Albany Turnpike
Canton, CT 06019
*Coral colonies 30% off
Coral frags - Buy 4 get 2 free
SW Fish and Inverts 25% OFF
All in-stock aquariums 10% OFF
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt 175g bucket $59.99 (limit 1)
Additional specials will be announced that weekend!
TEXT AQUADREAMS TO 85100 for inner circle deals & special offers
*Pat Callan will be set up at Aquadreams- CT all weekend

Aqua Dreams - MA (#3 on the map)
8 Southwick St
Feeding Hills, MA 01030
*Coral colonies 30% off
Coral frags - Buy 4 get 2 free
SW Fish and Inverts 25% OFF
All in-stock aquariums 10% OFF
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt 175g bucket $59.99 (limit 1)
Additional specials will be announced that weekend!
TEXT AQUADREAMS TO 85100 for inner circle deals & special offers

Backwoods Reefs (#5 on the map)
Setup at Wet Pets 520 Hartford Turnpike
Vernon, CT 06066

Blake's Aqua Den (#8 on the map)
1263 E Main St
Meriden, CT 06450
*20% Off all livestock

Blue Light Aquatics (not open for drop ins)
https://www.bluelightaqua.com/
*Online specials with curbside pickup at:
447 SILVER LAKE RD
HOLLIS, New Hampshire 03049

Blue View Aquatics
Fragging Demos and Aquarium Maintenance Quotes
Aquadreams-CT (220 Albany Turnpike Canton, CT 06019)
Saturday 10am - 2pm
Aquadreams - MA (8 Southwick St. Feeding Hills, MA 01030)
Saturday 3pm-6pm

The Coral Farm (#1 on map)
https://www.thecoralfarm.com
9 Irene Drive
Westfield, MA 01085
*30% OFF! Aquacultured Corals
*15% off website purchases with code “FFM21”

Coral Reef Connection
https://coralreefconnection.com/
*15% off all website orders using code “FFM21”

Covey's Coral Cove
https://coveyscoralcove.com/
*20% off all WYSIWYG corals using code “FFM21”

Dan Rigle
Gallery Postings on FB

Drsalomon Corals (Arthur Salomon)
Gallery Postings on FB with pickup in Barrington, RI

E.O. Smith Coral Project
I am just putting this together for all of you. I have opted not to put up a gallery of our “crop” for this year… I am going shopping instead!

Exotic Fish and Corals (#10 on map)
374 New Haven Ave.
Milford, CT 06460
*25% off all not on sale items
$12 asst. Clownfish
Fish marked down up to 50% off
Giveaways all weekend!
Raffle entry for $300, $200, $100 gift certificates with any purchase

Frank’s Frags (Frank Kolak)
Gallery Postings on FB with pick up in MA

Fritz
Will be at School of Fish (#2 on map - Eastfield Mall, Springfield, MA) Saturday 3/6
Will be at OSA (#7 on map - 8 Sandy Bottom Rd, Coventry, RI) on Sunday 3/7

Golden Basket Reef
https://goldenbasketreef.com/
*25% off website purchase with code “FFM 25”
*20% of proceeds will be donated to E.O. Smith High School Coral Project

Greg's Corals
https://gregscorals.com/
*40% discount on WYSIWYG using code “FFM2021”
$25 flat shipping for surrounding states (NJ,NY,MA,CT,PA,VA) - free at $250

Jason Fox
https://jasonfoxsignaturecorals.com/
*20% discount on WYSIWYG using code “Ffm20off”

Koral Craze
www.koralcraze.com
*Website specials with curbside pick up option in York, PA

Max Reef (#16 on Map)
1556 Barnum Ave Suite 3,
Bridgeport, CT 06610
*30 to 50% off all livestock fish, corals and inverts
Special giveaway with purchases of $199 or more

Marine Science Magnet School (#9 on map)
Gallery postings on FB with pick up at the school at:
130 Shennecossett Road, Groton, CT 06340
*Small group tours/visits available

**** Corals (#15 on the map)
64 Paris Ave.
Worcester, MA 01603
*Gallery postings on FB
*Home coral farm open 10-4 Saturday and Sunday
Stop by or text - 774-284-7545

Motor City Corals
https://motorcitycorals.com/
*20% purchases with code “FFM 2021”

MR Reefs
https://www.mrreefs.com/
*25% off coral and coral propagation items using code “FFM2021”

NY Reef Aquatic** (#14 on map)
42-32 162nd St.
Queens, NY 11358
*LOTS of in store specials including:
$50 and under includes but not limited to gold branching hammers, pink octospawns.
$25 Mushroom and goni frags.
$15 and under includes but not limited to zoa frag, acans, clove polyps.

Ocean State Aquatics Farm (#7 on map)
1032 Tiogue Ave
Coventry, RI 02816
*15% off all corals
Coral farm open to the public
*AC Corals will be set-up at OSA Farm all weekend

Ocean State Aquatics Shop (#7 on map)
8 Sandy Bottom Rd,
Coventry, RI 02816
*ReefBreeders Lighting will be at OSA on Saturday 3/6
*Fritz will be at OSA on Sunday 3/7

Pat Callan (#6 on map)
Set-up at Aquadreams - CT
220 Albany Turnpike
Canton, CT 06019

Paul Spinnato
Gallery Postings on FB with pick up in Wallingford CT

Pieces of the Ocean (#13 on map)
https://www.piecesoftheocean.com/
1664 Hylan Blvd.
Staten Island, NY 10305
*25% off with code “FFM2021”

Pop Corals (#12 on map)
6701 13th Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11219
*20% off all livestock

Reef Breeders
Will be at OSA on Saturday 3/6

Reef Crazy Coral Propagation Center
Gallery Postings on FB and Arranged Pickups in CT

Sea Gardens
Gallery Postings on FB and Arranged Pickups in Waterbury, CT

School of Fish (#2 on map)
Eastfield Mall
1655 Boston Rd
Springfield, MA 01129
*Buy 2 get 1 free on all coral, frags, inverts, fish.
Fritz RPM blue boxes $40 each or 3/$100 (message to reserve)
-Buy one box RPM at $40 and get fritz coral glasses and coral max food free
-Buy 3 boxes RPM for $100 and get two glasses and two coral max foods free
Red Sea leds, skimmers, pumps, supplements 10% off
Red Sea tanks on sale
*Fritz will be at SOF on Saturday 3/6

TJM Corals (#11 on map)
231a Commack Rd
Commack NY, 11725
https://tjmcorals.com/
*Sales in store
Free shipping for online purchases using code “FFM21”

Triggreef
https://www.triggreefcorals.com/
*20% off online purchases using code “FFM2021”
(Purchases must be made before 3/5)
Pick ups:
March 6th - Wet Pets (520 Hartford Tnpk. Vernon, CT) 11 AM to 1 PM
March 7th - Blake's Aqua Den (1263 E. Main St. Meriden, CT) 11 AM and 1 PM

Wet Pets (#5 on map)
520 Hartford Turnpike
Vernon, CT 06066
*15% off all livestock
*Backwoods Reefs will be set-up at Wet Pets all weekend
*Zooanthids.com will be set-up at Wet Pets all weekend

Zooanthids.com (#5 on map)
Setup at Wet Pets
520 Hartford Turnpike
Vernon, CT 06066

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I'll have at Aquadreams in Canton
Walt Disney
Candyland
Orange passion
PC rainbow
Hawkins
Tyree matrix
Navy tort
Highlighter tenius
Garf bonsai
Fox flame
Bubblegum Digi
Some zoas
PXL_20210227_164621106.jpg
PXL_20210227_165051845.jpg
PXL_20210228_014216604.jpg
PXL_20210228_014123047.jpg

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did I miss the original posting? Glad I caught it before the event passed.

Thanks for keeping up with this and putting in all the work to try to make this happen within the current recommendations, requirements, and risks.

Is the FB group public? I refuse to set up an account and I get locked out of a lot of stuff with other clubs. I really can’t wait for enough people to get fed up with the FB garbage and shift back over to the forums or another platform.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did I miss the original posting? Glad I caught it before the event passed.

Thanks for keeping up with this and putting in all the work to try to make this happen within the current recommendations, requirements, and risks.

Is the FB group public? I refuse to set up an account and I get locked out of a lot of stuff with other clubs. I really can’t wait for enough people to get fed up with the FB garbage and shift back over to the forums or another platform.
I deleted fb and feel like I miss a lot of things now. But I'm not going to reinstall fb. Got hacked to many times.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an account for a while because people started planning stuff through FB and I always found out after because nobody though to invite people outside of the group chat.

With the security, privacy, and algorithms that filter out differing views combined with the false image that people curate, I couldn’t take it.

If people specifically want me there, they know to invite me personally. I do miss out on a lot of the updates my sister posts about my nephews, but my mother will forward the important stuff and the things she knows I’d like to see.

I feel like there are fewer genuine conversations as people feel that they can just post something to their FB wall and “everyone” will see it.

I think my account is still there, but I haven’t logged in in years. I don’t remember the password and the email server I created the account with no longer exists. The entire platform is a waste of time, accomplishes the opposite of what it is touted to do (other than generating profits), and has done more to cause divisiveness than bring people together.

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 100% on board with your distaste for FB and I apologize for not sending this info out wider. I usually try to get the info out on all of the forums and spread the word everywhere. The only reason why I try to "center it" on FB is that it is where most of the vendors do business and advertise, and there is a large group of people all in one place. With a bunch of the vendors posting galleries and selling that way (many of the hobbyists), it felt like a better idea to put all the images in one place. May or may not have been the best approach, I don't really know. Not my intention to exclude anyone, just trying to make it work as best I can for this year for all the vendors.
All that said, I hate FB too. I miss the days when we were all together in the forums...

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! Everyone drive safe and don't forget to visit some of the online places that are a part of this too!

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, I kind of went off on an anti-FB tirade there. Don’t sweat it, I know I am in the minority, by a significant amount, when it comes to not utilizing it. It really is the most effective ways to reach the greatest audience for something like this while being able to keep people up to date as things change, which I would imagine happened a lot through the process of figuring out how to FFM this year while staying compliant and keeping people safe.

I don’t fault you for it and I don’t fault you for missing the postings here. It can’t be easy trying to figure out how to teach your science classes remotely while still giving your students the care and attention they need (I know you go above and beyond to support your students, I’ve seen some of their talks and how they look to you with a deep respect) and coordinate FFM. It would be rough enough for the regular format, I can’t even imagine how much work and coordination this year took.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back