OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I may start my build thread this weekend although the tank isn’t here yet. By the way, how is the Fritz Salt that was included working out?
I used TropicMarin to start the tank, actually, b/c of some mixed reviews on Fritz. I've used Fritz since, with 0 noticeable difference to be honest.

But I don't do a lot of water changes. I'm testing w/ ICP monthly and dosing the oft-mentioned AFR. My first ICP was a bit high on Chromium and Aluminium. My second and subsequent ones have had literally 0 issues. So, I've done a few ~20 gallon changes here and there, but I view those as points of risk so long as the tank's levels are staying perfect without them (i.e. don't screw with a stable thing).

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used TropicMarin to start the tank, actually, b/c of some mixed reviews on Fritz. I've used Fritz since, with 0 noticeable difference to be honest.

But I don't do a lot of water changes. I'm testing w/ ICP monthly and dosing the oft-mentioned AFR. My first ICP was a bit high on Chromium and Aluminium. My second and subsequent ones have had literally 0 issues. So, I've done a few ~20 gallon changes here and there, but I view those as points of risk so long as the tank's levels are staying perfect without them (i.e. don't screw with a stable thing).
Ahhh, another goal to shoot for! Limited water changes. The savings potential alone is a great motivator, as well as the stability for the tank neighborhood.

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, another goal to shoot for! Limited water changes. The savings potential alone is a great motivator, as well as the stability for the tank neighborhood.

I wouldn't plan on it, though. I see a water change as the most effective "remediation" for getting really weird minor trace elements in, diluting concentrations of bad stuff, yada yada. Balanced against the fact the chemistry of your salt mix probably won't perfectly match the chemistry you want in your tank. So ... use where appropriate.

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a quartet of Bimac anthias are in extended QT at the preferred LFS now. They'll be the last fish added to the tank.

From there, it'll just be ongoing maintenance and enjoyment ad infinitum! He said with a twinkle in his eye.

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 2 Anthias ready to come out of QT today. 2 more next week. Photos to come.

I'm pretty excited, because orange and pink color tones up in the water column are really all that's missing from the aesthetic of the tank.

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 2 Anthias ready to come out of QT today. 2 more next week. Photos to come.

I'm pretty excited, because orange and pink color tones up in the water column are really all that's missing from the aesthetic of the tank.
Sounds colorful and exciting! Enjoy! I have my 1500 and am in the process of setting it up. A small plumbing mod, and it’s ready to go.

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress continues apace.

PXL_20210518_000715156~2.jpg

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First couple hiccups occurred!

First, my big giant plating Monti in the middle of the tank just barely reached my Green Slimer, which immediately responded by RTN'ing to bare skeleton in sub 24 hours. Or I thought it was due to that, and maybe it was, but the pink Mille (which had been growing tremendously) about 2" away from the Slimer subsequently RTNed the next day.

Nothing else in the week since. I've checked every level, have changed nothing, and ordered another ICP test just in case, but color me a bit miffed and on super high alert.

Otherwise, the quartet of bimacs are out of QT and doing well; the Canary Blenny was a hunger alert for about a week but is now eating well; still in maintenance, but worried by the RTN ... no readily available explanation in terms of param shifts, etc.

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First couple hiccups occurred!

First, my big giant plating Monti in the middle of the tank just barely reached my Green Slimer, which immediately responded by RTN'ing to bare skeleton in sub 24 hours. Or I thought it was due to that, and maybe it was, but the pink Mille (which had been growing tremendously) about 2" away from the Slimer subsequently RTNed the next day.

Nothing else in the week since. I've checked every level, have changed nothing, and ordered another ICP test just in case, but color me a bit miffed and on super high alert.

Otherwise, the quartet of bimacs are out of QT and doing well; the Canary Blenny was a hunger alert for about a week but is now eating well; still in maintenance, but worried by the RTN ... no readily available explanation in terms of param shifts, etc.
Did you figure out what caused your coral issues, or did they spontaneously resolve? My 1500 S2 is coming along, and I’m hoping to add fish by the end of the month.

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you figure out what caused your coral issues, or did they spontaneously resolve? My 1500 S2 is coming along, and I’m hoping to add fish by the end of the month.
Nope lol. Everything else seems to be going fine, ICP test came back glowing. Massive curious shrug. And no other corals went.

I'm excited to hear how close you are to getting fish in there! What's your stock plan?

Random photo; back wall coralline is at the spotty stage...
PXL_20210609_194914522~2.jpg

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope lol. Everything else seems to be going fine, ICP test came back glowing. Massive curious shrug. And no other corals went.

I'm excited to hear how close you are to getting fish in there! What's your stock plan?

Glad to hear your tank is flourishing with no further coral RTN!! I’ll be sending an ICP test off just prior to adding fish. Fingers crossed it’s all great! Current Stocking List:
1 Hippo Tang
1 Kole Tang
1 Foxface Lo
2 Royal Grammas
2 Snowflake Clowns (already bonded in my smaller tank)
1 Pavo Damsel (currently living with the clowns)
1 Yellow Watchman Gobie
1 Blue Streak Watchman Gobie
2 Pistol Shrimp (hopefully will pair up one per Gobi)
So that’s the current plan, and definitely plenty for me to have while I get coral started. At some point I want a Spotted Mandarin pair, but need to ensure a massive Pod population first. I’m hopeful this will remain a peaceful community and was initially a bit hesitant about putting the two Tangs on my stock list due to the mixed reviews on their behaviors, but will give it a go. I’m generally a heavy feeder, so as long as everyone is fat, happy, and healthy, perhaps peace will reign. I’d also like a couple clams but don’t want to have fish nipping at their mantles, so I‘ll delay that option for now. Considering trying to plant a bit of Red Ogo in the display tank for the two Tangs. Not sure how that will work, so more consideration is needed.
This is turning into a stream of consciousness post, so I’ll stop! More photos once cable management is tackled!

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By the way, what was the brand of bottled Coraline you used? I’m planning to get some Coraline blocks from IPSF, but may add a bit of the bottled as well. Hopefully they don’t work at cross purposes.

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Helix and the pink one from ARC. Absolutely works.
Thanks for the info! Also, I’m planning to make corrections to the plumbing tomorrow. Just wondering how far above the area of the sump your over flow pipe is. Mine is currently about an inch into the water in that chamber and creating a pretty turbulent flow over the filter socks. I was thinking it should maybe be either barely above, or at least barely in the water. How far is yours sitting above the sump water?

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Also, I’m planning to make corrections to the plumbing tomorrow. Just wondering how far above the area of the sump your over flow pipe is. Mine is currently about an inch into the water in that chamber and creating a pretty turbulent flow over the filter socks. I was thinking it should maybe be either barely above, or at least barely in the water. How far is yours sitting above the sump water?
Ahhh, I knew you had a sump picture in there so I went back for a peek. Sitting about the same level I currently have mine. Glad I wasn’t way off!! Once I fix the switch my well meaning friend made in the overflow, I’m sure I can turn the turbulence into a nice and easy flow.

TannerManno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high up above the water is your photon? I have mine over my 80 which is 48” by 24” and it’s not really lighting the back wall where I have a frag rack. So just wondering if I need to add a lumen bar or maybe raise my light up. Also with the lumen bar. Are they programmable? Or so they connect to your photon so it runs on a light cycle?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high up above the water is your photon? I have mine over my 80 which is 48” by 24” and it’s not really lighting the back wall where I have a frag rack. So just wondering if I need to add a lumen bar or maybe raise my light up. Also with the lumen bar. Are they programmable? Or so they connect to your photon so it runs on a light cycle?
I actually had this question about the lumen bars as well, how does programming work with them? Or are they a basic on/off?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build and following. Also curious about lumenbars and programming. Should have gotten them in first place but now I have an awesome $500 dollar T5 hybrid that makes for a great looking v2+ hanger haha.

TannerManno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build and following. Also curious about lumenbars and programming. Should have gotten them in first place but now I have an awesome $500 dollar T5 hybrid that makes for a great looking v2+ hanger haha.
I thought about doing a hybrid t5 and putting the reefbreeders in the middle. What hybrid do you have?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back