20g Home Brewed Rock Nem tank

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to replace my fuge with another tank so I could get the " Build Thread" badge. Plan on stocking it with Rock Nems, Pods and...... to be determined at a later date.
I noticed some brown dust forming in my overflow box.
Diatoms maybe?

Brown_Dust.jpg

OP
OP
lapin

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 more pictures from different angles. The stax rock is pretty neato for a small tank.
Color is a bit off. Grow light on there now, soon to have a real reef light.

20G_New_Front.jpg

20G_New_End.jpg

HotManwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the rockscape! It'll look awesome with anemones on it! Hopefully you get rock flowers that actually like to stay on rocks! Some of them want the sand while others only want rock. If you see them at the LFS try and look for ones that aren't buried and staying on the side of the tank. It'll make your life so much easier.

My rock flower hates being on rocks. It wants to be buried in the sand and nearly killed itself to achieve this. The day I got it (and it was in the sand bed at the LFS so I should have known) I put it where I wanted on the rockwork, I come back an hour later and it's crawling towards the sand. Now, I didn't realize it was wanting to stay buried in the sand so I assumed it just didn't like the rock and was irritated being in a new tank. I put it back on the rock, and I come back and it buried itself deep in a hole with no light. I have to tear apart the rockwork to keep it from light starving, and I put it in a new place on the rocks. It releases and meets the powerhead. Now it's injured so I put it on the rocks with the top of a plastic bottle on top to keep the flow down and let it attach, and it squeezes itself through the hole and releases into the water column again and ends up stuck to the intake on the sump. At this point I put it on the sand to see what would happen, and it immediately dug straight down and has stayed put ever since.

OP
OP
lapin

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is fed from my return manifold.
I drilled 2 holes for the overflow.
Old fuge had just 1. It was not very safe even with a optical sensor and solenoid to shut off flow).
It gravity feeds to my main sump.

OP
OP
lapin

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will let the first 15 go where they want with the pumps off. I will place them on the rock and see if any stay. The rock does have some nice holes so maybe.....

OP
OP
lapin

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see my closeup pictures are blury. I have 2 cameras that work , well 3 but I dont count the SX70 swinger.
The iphone 6s which is new to me since i destroyed my 4S.
A GoPro6 hero black
I think I need a macro lens
Any idea which device I should get one for and what I should get thats within a reasonable price?
Cheers

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! where did you end up getting the nems from?
I so need to update my RFA build. one of these days I get on the camera and take some nice pics.

keep the build going !

OP
OP
lapin

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the nems from Monterey Bay Coral. If you want a qty just email him.
Note: It took a week to ship because of weather. Nothing good happens fast (right?)

Back