20g long urchin pad/murder mangrove/home for displaced corals; and 50g macro/gorg scape

mitten_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank emerged as a place to relocate Ivan the Terrible, my hitchhiking rock boring urchin, from a macro-dominated 50g. It will also house some LPS corals that the Valentini puff in the same tank has decided are rather tasty.

Figured I could have some fun with it, so it will be a bit of an experiment. For the moment, it is by a window that only gets morning sun. I have three mangrove seedlings that I've moved over, and have since ordered ten more for this tank. I may play around with potting a few in mud in-tank...

I will periodically add macro cuttings, with the expectation that Ivan may eat any macros I place in here.

I'm thinking to keep it for cool inverts, and maybe a small goby or two (mantis ended up moving in, but I might consider a small angler fish down the line). The intention is to create something low tech, low cost, low effort, and nice to look at since it is in our living room.

Equipment
Aqueon 20 gallon long glass tank.
Spare Finnex freshwater LED, to be used only in the later half of the day. I'll need to play around with the lighting schedule on this one.
Aquatop heater with guard, I think 100W.
Hydor Koralia powerhead.
Need to add HOB of some sort, thinking AC 70.

Hardscape
??? lb live rock that was sitting in someone's fallow tank for a year before given to me for free.
Aragonite sand.

Critters
Ivan the rock boring urchin.
Glockenspiel the mantis (Geonodactylaceus sp).
1-3 LPS from my DT (one turquoise Caribbean rose coral, two hitchhiking cup and tube corals).
Assorted snails.

Here it is, set up to make sure the rock is cycled (hence the lower water volume, I'll be fixing that soon). Basically tossed the seedlings in for the moment.
IMG_9461.jpeg

Scape is incomplete, since it will need to make room for two additional rocks. Some nice hair algae on these rocks...Ivan will appreciate it.
IMG_9460.jpeg

Ivan (deleted the vid since I dunno if it was working).
IMG_9463.jpeg
can we talk about that giant shell on the floor? any cool story?

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely give you some recommendations. What kinda vibe are you going for lagoon, tide pool, reef?

Thinking "shallow Caribbean mangrove forest", and actually, it would be kind of neat to try to making this a biotope (or as close to one as I can get it), since the existing fauna and at least two of the rocks are from that area already.

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can we talk about that giant shell on the floor? any cool story?

Ah yes, my mom found it at a friend's garage sale for $25 many many years ago! Apparently these people had had it for ~30 years before.

Not a super cool story, but we've been lugging it around with us since I was a toddler and it weighs as much as a large pony.

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a marine life list of my time in the carribean

Yellow head wrasse

Royal Gramma

Spanish hogfish

Bicolor Damsel

Rock Beauty

French Angelfish

Stoplight parrotfish

Hawaiian Black Triggerfish

Tarpon

Spotted Ray

Mahi Mahi

Nurse Shark

Barracuda

Three spot Atlantic damsel

Horse eye jack

Dusky damsel

Beau Gregory damsel

Yellow head damsel

Black shoulder tand

Jewel damsel

Stripped blenny

Banded butterfly fish

Four eyed butterflyfish

Gray angelfish

Blue reef Chromis

Queen angelfish

Sergeant major damsel

Blue head wrasse

Blue Caribbean tang

Porites

Sea fan

White encrusting zoanthid

Elkhorn coral

Stag horn coral

Platygyra

Tubastrea

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a marine life list of my time in the carribean

Yellow head wrasse

Royal Gramma

Spanish hogfish

Bicolor Damsel

Rock Beauty

French Angelfish

Stoplight parrotfish

Hawaiian Black Triggerfish

Tarpon

Spotted Ray

Mahi Mahi

Nurse Shark

Barracuda

Three spot Atlantic damsel

Horse eye jack

Dusky damsel

Beau Gregory damsel

Yellow head damsel

Black shoulder tand

Jewel damsel

Stripped blenny

Banded butterfly fish

Four eyed butterflyfish

Gray angelfish

Blue reef Chromis

Queen angelfish

Sergeant major damsel

Blue head wrasse

Blue Caribbean tang

Porites

Sea fan

White encrusting zoanthid

Elkhorn coral

Stag horn coral

Platygyra

Tubastrea
Haha, thank you. Do you think I could fit a Mahi Mahi in a 20g? :p

Hmm...you know, it would be neat to put some more brains in here to keep the rose company. idk. I'm not in a rush with this one, need to sit on some more research. :)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did Ivan the terrible do to get him banished?
Speaking i just came up with the name for my little Rock boring urchin. Mine is vlad the impaler
I guess what he did is how you came up with the name. I like the tank and scape its going to be sweet.

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did Ivan the terrible do to get him banished?
Speaking i just came up with the name for my little Rock boring urchin. Mine is vlad the impaler
I guess what he did is how you came up with the name. I like the tank and scape its going to be sweet.

Well, he showed up in my other tank as a hitchhiker (seriously had no idea he was in there for months, then one day BAM -- urchin) and since I am focused on macro algae in that display, I didn't want to chance him suddenly taking a liking to it, as I had heard they do. He never touched it (maybe cuz I stuffed him with nori) but I didn't wanna push my luck, especially with how difficult it is to source macro these days.

So...what else was I to do but set up another tank?

"Vlad the Impaler" is a rockin' name, btw.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he showed up in my other tank as a hitchhiker (seriously had no idea he was in there for months, then one day BAM -- urchin) and since I am focused on macro algae in that display, I didn't want to chance him suddenly taking a liking to it, as I had heard they do. He never touched it (maybe cuz I stuffed him with nori) but I didn't wanna push my luck, especially with how difficult it is to source macro these days.

So...what else was I to do but set up another tank?

"Vlad the Impaler" is a rockin' name, btw.
Thanks. Didn't think of if it till read ivan the terrible.
I agree what else where you to do. Will Ivan eat the roots of the mangroves?

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Didn't think of if it till read ivan the terrible.
I agree what else where you to do. Will Ivan eat the roots of the mangroves?

Good q, been wondering that but it shouldn't be an issue. For the moment, and because I'm a little (stir) crazy, my plans have shifted a little. I'll have the mangrove jar in the tank, but the jar will protect the roots from the munchies. The rest will be planted in a dedicated bin next door, so I can focus on good growth and training prop roots.

I've layered it with leftover aquasoil from my freshwater tank, two kinds of mineral mud I had sitting around, and a fine sandy substrate also leftover from the freshwater build. I will also fertilize with Flourish tabs.

Actual planting needs to wait til I have more water. I plan to replenish with recycled stuff from water changes. Also researching light options...maybe T5, or a Kessil A360.

IMG_9563.jpeg

IMG_9564.jpeg

IMG_9565.jpeg

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is coloring up and the diatoms are receding; haven't added anything other than some snails. Might pop in 2-3 blue legged hermits.

Still ruminating about other inhabitants. Almost bought a yellow clown goby the other day...
Maybe a pair of ORA green-banded gobies would be cool.

Added my peach hammer from my other tank since it decided it didn't care for increased flow, and it seems to be quite happy shoved into a little corner for the moment.

IMG_9640.jpeg

If you look closely, you can see Glockenspiel staring out of her hole in this one.
IMG_9619.jpeg

Ivan has been cruising around and enjoying itself.
IMG_9642.jpeg

The Tree Bin has become a spare 5g that has moved to my room, so I'm not taking over the living room with my experiments. Still not sure if this will be a permanent home for these seedlings as they grow. Working on rigging a PVC mount for the light I bought them.
IMG_9643.jpeg

And a shot from my 50g macro/gorg scape, still dancing with the diatoms. Maybe I will merge it with this journal...
IMG_9637.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back