210 gallon aquarium overflow and setup

Lb71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says i am thinking about getting a 210 gallon FOWLR tank setup. Aqueon makes one with twin corner overflows. I don't know what kind of sump to run or if the twin overflows are sufficient. What do other people think would be a good overflow and sump system? Also what size sump would you run?
LB71

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 32" exotic marine systems unit on my 200 rimless aquarium. I really like the look and it operates quiet and clean. The opening is wide and never needs cleaning versus 90% of the overflow boxes i see are all a bunch of cut ridges, That design builds up and grows alot of algae, you will constantly clean it. As far as a sump i custom designed and had mine made locally. Rather simple sock chamber, media chamber, refugium and return pumps.

I use Two Sicce Syncra Silent Pumps - 3.0 they move like 700 gph each have been up zero issues over a year since i switched them in and they are SILENT.

I think the optimal return pump recirculation rating for a reef tank is between 5-10 times per hour. so a 2x700 = 1400 gph for a 210 is 6.6 times over per hour. So really depending on you how much more or less you want the water turn over rate will determine ultimately how strong a pump or pumps you need.

I even put a thin media base below them incase it vibrates but it hardly does anything. I feed heavy 2-5 times a day to some FAT fish and the water always looks good. best of luck!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says i am thinking about getting a 210 gallon FOWLR tank setup. Aqueon makes one with twin corner overflows. I don't know what kind of sump to run or if the twin overflows are sufficient. What do other people think would be a good overflow and sump system? Also what size sump would you run?
LB71

the problem with the Aqueon overflows there just 2 holes but the work around if you dont mind is one full drain one E drain then over the top for the returns.

or just the the plain 210 and drill it how you want it.

for a sump the biggest that can fit in the stand or better yet a basement "fish room" lots of folks use the rubber made stock tanks.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aqueon corner overflows have a bit of a bad reputation for being difficult to create even flow. As mentioned above, you have to choose between one in, one out, or both out and return over the top, or drill for two 3/4" bulkheads as added returns. One single return in the middle doesn't work out well either, thus the two separate returns.

Go for the plain 210 and drill it yourself using CPR Aquatics Internal Retrofit Overflow boxes.

I'd use the 24-inch box and place two 3/4" returns, one at each end and passing through notches in the weir face.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back