OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waters tank used Aqua soil and that may be the difference in getting the plants to carpet faster. I have a couple bags I plan on using as well as power sand in my planted tanks.
It may be, the flourite is a larger grain. I've read plants will carpet, but like the eco complete I've used before it can be tough to plant in. small rooted plants like hair grass can be hard to stick in it. I was going to go aquasoil but have such a hard time paying the price for it. Plus I figure I'll have plants in this tank pretty quick and the aquasoil tends to have a massive ammonia spike when first being filled.

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually seriously considering going organic potting soil instead of gravel for a base layer. I'm just not sure if I want to fight tannis that comes with that.

I saw this product recommended by one of the aquascaping YouTube vloggers (can't remember which one). I'm using Aqua Soil and Tropica Aquarium Soil in mine...

upload_2019-3-25_15-12-25.png

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this product recommended by one of the aquascaping YouTube vloggers (can't remember which one). I'm using Aqua Soil and Tropica Aquarium Soil in mine...

upload_2019-3-25_15-12-25.png
That is not a bad price at all, compared to some of them. I may end up regretting the larger grain flourite. I guess if I start to plant and don't like it I could take the plants back home and buy some and redo the scape.

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a bad price at all, compared to some of them. I may end up regretting the larger grain flourite. I guess if I start to plant and don't like it I could take the plants back home and buy some and redo the scape.

Found the site where I learned about this substrate (The 2HR Aquarist)

upload_2019-3-25_15-34-18.png

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using tap water treated with Prime, but don't have a proven track record yet ;-)
Well the tap water is really bad, like really really bad so I wont go that route on a planted. I use tap on my 180 fresh fish only, but not a planted.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but I will be using RODI. Our water is very hard so I want to control that and other mineral content. Using Aquasoil and Powersand for both a CO2 injection high tech as well as a low tech tank. I have 22 gallon Aquamaxx, 60P ADA, and a 32 gallon Landen tank. Not sure what tanks I will use yet.

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tap water is really bad, like really really bad so I wont go that route on a planted. I use tap on my 180 fresh fish only, but not a planted.

My tank is 65 gallons. Giving tap water a go because I plan to do 50% water changes weekly so RO would be impractical. The European Vloggers on YouTube use tap water for their planted aquariums, so I'm counting on some of that fortune extending over the pond ;-)

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but I will be using RODI. Our water is very hard so I want to control that and other mineral content. Using Aquasoil and Powersand for both a CO2 injection high tech as well as a low tech tank. I have 22 gallon Aquamaxx, 60P ADA, and a 32 gallon Landen tank. Not sure what tanks I will use yet.

@Lowell Lemon , what lighting will you be using?

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mch1984 , @Waters , @Lowell Lemon , @crusso1993 where do you purchase your freshwater plants? Which plants will you be using (have you used successfully) in your tanks?

Here are some of the shops I've seen during my searches:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back