220 AC Heater and Chiller is there an Apex module ?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very large system 850 gallons in a seasonal changing climate. In the summer the outside temps gets too 100 degrees, in the winter it can get down to 10 degrees.
For that reason I have a 220 volt 5000 watt commercial heater from Process Technology, and a 220 volt 5 hp chiller from Tradewinds.

Is there and Apex module to hook into these large breaker type 220 boxes to help control errors in overheating or over cooling? I wouldn't want the heater stuck on and the chiller coming on and running to battle the massive heating going on.

Thanks in advance for any insight on 220v control from Neptune Apex.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very large system 850 gallons in a seasonal changing climate. In the summer the outside temps gets too 100 degrees, in the winter it can get down to 10 degrees.
For that reason I have a 220 volt 5000 watt commercial heater from Process Technology, and a 220 volt 5 hp chiller from Tradewinds.

Is there and Apex module to hook into these large breaker type 220 boxes to help control errors in overheating or over cooling? I wouldn't want the heater stuck on and the chiller coming on and running to battle the massive heating going on.

Thanks in advance for any insight on 220v control from Neptune Apex.
You would have to make a relay box. Use a 2 pole contactor for AC equipment and power the contactor off of the apex 24v port.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. But I would get a plastic box to mount it in for safety

Attachments

• 4900F8E5-9B0E-478F-A1A1-E42472CCD981.png
    4900F8E5-9B0E-478F-A1A1-E42472CCD981.png
    489.1 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
makes more sense now that you circled the 24v connection.

Thanks for your advise on this, I think this will work. I'll have to look into how Apex can control this.
Appreciate the help.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 24vdc connection points on the Apex can be controlled to turn off/on with command prompts. If your tank got too hot the command to cut on the chiller would supply 24v to the low voltage contactor and engaged chiller versus an actual apex module that controlled the 220v directly.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In thinking about it you will likely want the heater/chiller controller to control and monitor the basic on/off functions and the Apex for shutdown if an out of range situation occurred. That’s going to be kind of the opposite wiring of the above contactor: you’d want a normally closed relay and Apex would open the control circuit if overheating/overcooling occurred.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In thinking about it you will likely want the heater/chiller controller to control and monitor the basic on/off functions and the Apex for shutdown if an out of range situation occurred. That’s going to be kind of the opposite wiring of the above contactor: you’d want a normally closed relay and Apex would open the control circuit if overheating/overcooling occurred.
I think you are correct, this would also take the load off the apex as all know they are not as robust as they used to be.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sending 24 Vdc to a 24 VAC Coil will burn up the Coil, and possibly damage the source of the 24 Vdc. A “ Functional Devices Inc, RIB.“ Can be used for a Vdc or VAC Signal. Part (#RIBU1C) Rated at 10 Amp Resistive (Heater) or 1/3 HP Normally Open / 1/6 HP Normally closed. (Chiller) Do you have a 120 volt AC Output on your APEX? That Would be a Better route, and less complicate, using a Contactor with a 120 volt Coil.
image.jpg
I did this several years ago for my Big Air Compressor, to automatically time it off.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sending 24 Vdc to a 24 VAC Coil will burn up the Coil, and possibly damage the source of the 24 Vdc. A “ Functional Devices Inc, RIB.“ Can be used for a Vdc or VAC Signal. Part (#RIBU1C) Rated at 10 Amp Resistive (Heater) or 1/3 HP Normally Open / 1/6 HP Normally closed. (Chiller) Do you have a 120 volt AC Output on your APEX? That Would be a Better route, and less complicate, using a Contactor with a 120 volt Coil.
image.jpg
I did this several years ago for my Big Air Compressor, to automatically time it off.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
My heater is a 5000 watt 220v 10-15 amp heater, my chiller is a 5 hp probably 30 amp, not sure exactly on the numbers, but these are all huge commercial units. Not sure this will handle the load.
Both units are 220 not 110.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5000 watts is about 23 Amps. I would use a 30 Amp two pole contactor for the Heater load. Also a 30 Amp. two pole for the Chiller. Use the RIB(s) for the Control between the APEX 24 Vdc and the Contactors. The Contactors would have a 220 volt coil. Come off of the L1 (load side), to the RIB Contacts, to the Contactor Coil. The other side of the Contactor Coil would go to L2 (load side) I‘m advising Against using a Plastic enclosure for the Contactors, should be metal. The one in my pictures I got from Lowe’s. Does your Chiller have a Heater on the Compressor Sump? If so it needs to be powered up, all the time. BTW the RIB Mounts in a 1/2” Knock out, and has a Red indicator LED, to indicate it‘s Powered up from the low voltage source, IE the APEX Signal out.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you Sure about the Size of your Chiller? I just noticed that is 5 tons of Cooling, and I don’t see a 5 HP Tradewinds. BTW I Cool my 4,000 + square foot house to 74 F on a 100 degree day with a 4 ton AC. If you have a model number, I maybe able to tell you where you can tap into the chiller controls to add another control in series with the chiller controls. I have over 40 years of Commercial Cooling and Process Cooling experience. Master License In Maryland.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you Sure about the Size of your Chiller? I just noticed that is 5 tons of Cooling, and I don’t see a 5 HP Tradewinds. BTW I Cool my 4,000 + square foot house to 74 F on a 100 degree day with a 4 ton AC. If you have a model number, I maybe able to tell you where you can tap into the chiller controls to add another control in series with the chiller controls. I have over 40 years of Commercial Cooling and Process Cooling experience. Master License In Maryland.
That would be great

heater element

Controller for heater

let me get specs tonight and I'll send to you. You've been awesome help today, here are the links

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no Wiring Diagram in those specs. The Wiring Diagram will be inside the cover of the outdoor condenser. Make sure you shut the power off, before removing the cover. Cover should be on the side, just above where the two pipes are. I don’t know what your inside unit looks like, but there should be a wiring diagram there too. The Heater Control Module, should have a Wiring Diagram inside the cover. Again shut the power off before opening.

Back