themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rough weekend.

Saturday morning I woke up about 8:00am to start some laundry. Check my tank as I do every morning, all is well. Head back to bed for an hour. When I get back up, I hear a dry pump running in my fish room. Thinking it was my ato that went dry (which it was), but it was much worse then that. My 110 gallon fuge had sprung a leak. The water in there drained into a trough that I had built with a drain hole to my basement. The design worked well, even though I'd guess about 100 gallons went through the floor. Hope that the damage to my floor joists and basement is minimal as I havent been able to assess this situation too much as of yet. Once all the water was cleaned up and the tank was emptied, I assessed how bad the situation was, and it was bad. The 110 was not repairable. Now in order to remove the tank, I had to break it apart with a hammer. It was intense. Once the tank was removed, I went and bought another brand new one. I went with 75 gallon as my baffles can be reused with the same I.D. I placed the 75 in a trough similar to what I had done under the 110. It now sits perpendiuclar to the 220. After spending a lot of hours plumbing and building a refugium, I can hopefully start this new setup back up tomorrow (fingers crossed).

My 220 hasn't seen any negative effects. Fish and coral all seem good.

IMG_8805[1].JPG
IMG_8807[1].JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plumbing was finished up last night. Tonight I will fill the rest of the new sump with another 20 gallons or so. Then I will be able to do a leak test. Fingers crossed the leaks are minimal to none, I will restart before the end of the day.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks running. My fish and coral look rough though.

I have two leaks I have to deal with, one is at one of my bulkheads and on the other is at my first elbow. Both on my drain lines. I also have to finish my ATO.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been taken offline again. I decided to cut out a section of my pipe and install three unions so that I can remove a section underneath if I need deemed necessary for any future work. Problem is I had a few small leaks. I spent all day yesterday trying to seal all joints with pvc glue. I hoped to make like a fillet weld with the glue. I will restart later this evening.

PS, I am a terrible plumber.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread is awesome tank is beautiful, hope you get all the qwerks worked out. Ill be following. by the way happy tank bday. lol

Back