220 Gallons of Eye Candy

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main display tank is 220 gallons mixed reef with a 110 gallon refuguim. The display is custom built into the wall.

The Setup:

The build all started with the purchase of my first house. It was known that a large aquarium was going to be part of the fun of renovating the new place. The idea was to use a third bedroom that shared a common wall with the living room, cut a giant hole and put the biggest tank that I could find inside of that hole. I could then use that third bedroom and turn it into my fish room.

The main display is a 220 gallon (72Lx24Dx30H) standard tank with two overflow chambers. Under that sits a 110 gallon (72Lx17Dx16H) refuguim. The refuguim was custom built by me using the specs that I both wanted and needed for both functionality and maintenance. A 35 gallon brute trashcan is used for RO/DI auto top off with a standard float valve. In the basement of my house, is where I make and store both RO/DI fresh and saltwater. Drains and return lines are used to move the water from the basement to the fish room and from the fish room to the basement drain (great for water changes). My old 55 gallon mixed reef was broken down for this upgrade and made into a quarintine tank for new inhabitants.

Equipment:

The main display is lit with (3) Aqua Illumination Hydra 52 HD. Return pump is a Jebao DC-12000 DC submersible pump. The protein skimmer is a Coral Vue Diablo DCS Series In-Sump DCS250, this thing is a beast. The wavemaker consists of (2) Jebao WP-60's with controller.

Husbandry & Maintenance:

Everyday I have a short check list that I go over as part of my regular maintenence. That includes, checking the skimmer, temperature, auto top off level, ect. Most of the everday checklist is visual but needs done. I test water parameters once a week. I feel you can best tell how your tank is doing by simply looking at it and its inhabitants. I feed both fish and coral using a variety of different foods from pellets to frozen cubes to homemade by yours truely, chef Dan. Auto top off is filled every few days due to water evaporation. Water changes occur every week that includes about a 20% change. Cleaning is done on the regular which includes sponges, skimmer, pumps, glass and rocks.

Livestock:
  • (2) B&W Ocellaris clownfish
  • (2) Banggai Cardinalfish
  • (2) Engineering Goby
  • (3) Blue/Green Chromis
  • (1) Vlamingi Tang
  • (1) Yellow Tang
  • (1) Blue Hippo Tang
  • (1) Yellow Clown Goby
  • (1) Wheelers Goby
  • (1) Magnificent Foxface
  • (1) Lyretail Anthias
  • (1) Pistol Shrimp
  • (1) Black Longspined Urchin
  • (1) White/Purple Shortspined Urchin
  • (4) Red Bubble Tipped Anenome
Coral include softies, lps, sps.

Tank Specs:
Aquarium:
220 Gallons (72Lx24Dx30H)

Refugium:
110 Gallons (72Lx17Dx16H)

Protein Skimmer:
Coral Vue Diablo DCS Series In-Sump DCS250

Lighting:
(3) Aqua Illumination Hydra 52 HD

Sump Pump:
Jebao DC-12000 DC

Powerheads:
(2) Jebao WP-60's with controller

Auto Top Off:
35 Gallon Brute trashcan with standard float valve to sump

Substrate:
Indo-Pacific Black Sand

Salt:
Kent Marine

Water Filter:
SpectraPure ProPlus 90 GPD RO/DI

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7770.PNG
IMG_7722.JPG
IMG_7724.JPG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool. What's the scoop on the Montipora, were you able to save some? Does that BTA host those B/W, if so how long did it take for the fish to take to the anemone?

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool. What's the scoop on the Montipora, were you able to save some? I am thinking of breaking the whole thing down and making my acro the focal point on that side. Does that BTA host those B/W, if so how long did it take for the fish to take to the anemone? Yes. They have for a couple years now. As soon as I put the clowns into the 220 from my old 55 (since retired). However, before that, they remained independent for the most part.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice reef!

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did it. I broke down my beloved monti and acro seen in my profile pic.

For a quick background for those whom don't know. I went from metal halides to LED's. The transistion was hard on my tank. I bleached a lot of coral. Some came back and some didn't. Unfortunately I lost my monti.

I broke down the piece and placed my small acro colonies throughout the tank. I will post pics once things settle down a bit.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Wish my wife would let me convert a spare bedroom like that. How long has it been up and running?

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shout out to @Murr7 for letting me borrow his MP-10 after I had stepped on my power supply for my Jebao WP-60's. I ordered another one, and this is a nice substitute in the mean time.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back