220 Gallons of Eye Candy

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did. It was a transition. Took a few water changes, but I was able to dial in the salt and seems like things are getting better.

We’re your troubles because of the Kent or during the transition. Just trying to understand why you lost your SPS?

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dan, just checked out your thread. Tank looks great. I see sps coming back. So you think the salt was the culprit?

BTW I grew up near Mansfield, OH and my first job out of college was in Akron. I had a “Good Year” up there. Can you guess where I worked :)

Thank you. The only sps I have is some birdnest, it survived the last few months and is now growing quite well. I am still sad about losing my hawkins.

Haha. I work at B&W in Barberton. We are slated to move to Akron in Goodyears old headquaters building end of the year.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re your troubles because of the Kent or during the transition. Just trying to understand why you lost your SPS?
Yes. The salt mix was drastically different then Kent. I dont test my water, so I cant tell you what the differences exactly were.

A little had to do with some light issues as well.

All is fixed now.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, losing that Hawkins had to be tough. It was nice. Those top down shots with the Hawkins and anemones were really nice.

I think it’s time for some new sps frags :). Good luck!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The salt mix was drastically different then Kent. I dont test my water, so I cant tell you what the differences exactly were.

A little had to do with some light issues as well.

All is fixed now.
I see, why did you switch from Kent to Brightwells? Just picking your brain, that's all; I like to learn from people's success and woes. I've heard good things about Brightwells, but I'm a firm believer in what's working now, don't fix/change it.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, why did you switch from Kent to Brightwells? Just picking your brain, that's all; I like to learn from people's success and woes. I've heard good things about Brightwells, but I'm a firm believer in what's working now, don't fix/change it.

kent was starting to get difficult to find. I weighed many other brands and felt brightwell would suit my needs and wants the best.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kent was starting to get difficult to find. I weighed many other brands and felt brightwell would suit my needs and wants the best.
I'm glad all is ironing itself out for you, I figured it was getting scarce for you.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy came out to visit on my lunch break.

BE7C830F-FBCC-4DAE-B946-FC0A4B18B6EA.jpeg

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update....

The main display tank is 220 gallons mixed reef with a 75 gallon refuguim. The display is custom built into the wall.

The Setup:

The build all started with the purchase of my first house. It was known that a large aquarium was going to be part of the fun of renovating the new place. The idea was to use a third bedroom that shared a common wall with the living room, cut a giant hole and put the biggest tank that I could find inside of that hole. I could then use that third bedroom and turn it into my fish room.

The main display is a 220 gallon (72Lx24Dx30H) standard tank with two overflow chambers. Next to that sits a 75 gallon (standard) refuguim. The refuguim was custom built by me using the specs that I both wanted and needed for both functionality and maintenance. A 55 gallon standard tank (my old reef tank) is used for RO/DI auto top off with a standard float valve. In the basement of my house, is where I make and store both RO/DI fresh and saltwater. Drains and return lines are used to move the water from the basement to the fish room and from the fish room to the basement drain (great for water changes).
Equipment:

The main display is lit with (3) Aqua Illumination Hydra 52 HD. Return pump is a Danner Supreme Aqua Mag 9.5 submersible pump. The protein skimmer is a Coral Vue Diablo DCS Series In-Sump DCS250, this thing is a beast. The wavemaker consists of (2) Jebao WP-60's with controller.

Husbandry & Maintenance:

Everyday I have a short check list that I go over as part of my regular maintenence. That includes, checking the skimmer, temperature, auto top off level, ect. Most of the everday checklist is visual but needs done. I test Salinity every so often, but do not test water parameters. I feel you can best tell how your tank is doing by simply looking at it and its inhabitants. I feed both fish and coral using a variety of different foods from pellets to frozen cubes to homemade by yours truely, chef Dan. Auto top off is filled once every week due to water evaporation. Water changes occur every week that includes about a 20% change. Cleaning is done on the regular which includes sponges, skimmer, pumps, glass and rocks.

Livestock:
  • (2) B&W Ocellaris clownfish
  • (1) Banggai Cardinalfish
  • (2) Blue/Green Chromis
  • (1) Vlamingi Tang
  • (1) Yellow Tang
  • (1) Yellow Clown Goby
  • (1) Wheelers Goby
  • (1) Magnificent Foxface
  • (1) Harlequin Shrimp
  • (1) Black Longspined Urchin
  • (50+) Red Bubble Tipped Anenome
Coral include softies, lps, sps.

Tank Specs:
Aquarium:
220 Gallons (72Lx24Dx30H)

Refugium:
75 Gallons (Standard)

Protein Skimmer:
Coral Vue Diablo DCS Series In-Sump DCS250

Lighting:
(3) Aqua Illumination Hydra 52 HD

Sump Pump:
Danner Supreme Aqua-Mag 9.5

Powerheads:
(2) Jebao WP-60's with controller

Auto Top Off:
55 Gallon (standard) with standard float valve to sump

Substrate:
Indo-Pacific Black Sand

Salt:
Brightwell Aquatics

Water Filter:
SpectraPure ProPlus 90 GPD RO/DI

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got Anemones. Got a lot of Anemones.

7A05AC11-823C-4B44-8B8D-F92DF301A6CB.jpeg
hehe, looking good. I just got two new ones this week! Bought a single Rainbow BTA last spring, and now I have 5! All doing well. Seems every time I do a water change, or remove a pump overnight to clean it, there is a new baby in the tank the next day... They don't like change...or do...not sure...

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
220 Gallons of Eye Candy is about to undergo a major change. I am going to be a dad to a little girl named Haisley Rose at the end of April. I will be moving my tank to the basement and building a room around the tank. It will still be an in-wall setup. I currently building the new stand. Updates to come.

43D9CDEA-86C9-4A19-A002-4BA3E6CFB9AF.jpeg
D216B4DF-CCE0-42A6-8318-93DF09CA8946.jpeg
488AD852-7AB0-448A-BE0E-8651EAD0FD76.jpeg

Back