220 Marineland Corner Overflow setup?

Tony S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so a simplish question, I have a 220 Marineland with corner overflows, each side has a 2" drain and a 1.5" return both utilizing a 1.5" bulkhead..... so my question is I have a question on the best method for setting up the overflow, should I go with the standard setup as described (pics below) or should I use both openings as drains on 1 side of the tank and returns on the other to push water across the length of the tank?
using the Jebao DCS 12000 for my return pump

20181210_194800.jpg

20181210_194826.jpg

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use the standard setup. Draining from two different sides is a nice safety/redundancy feature. I wouldn't worry about flow from your return pump on a 220g. Power heads inside the display should handle that.

OP
OP
Tony S

Tony S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use the standard setup. Draining from two different sides is a nice safety/redundancy feature. I wouldn't worry about flow from your return pump on a 220g. Power heads inside the display should handle that.
okay thank you, I like leaving it as stock as possible, but didn't know if there is a better method. Not sure why I think having the return right next to the drain is a bad idea in my mind..... like I'll be filtering the water I'm pumping right back in to the tank with them so close to each other.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thank you, I like leaving it as stock as possible, but didn't know if there is a better method. Not sure why I think having the return right next to the drain is a bad idea in my mind..... like I'll be filtering the water I'm pumping right back in to the tank with them so close to each other.

The current the drain weirs produce is much more spread out than the return nozzles. This makes it pretty easy to get your filtered water out into the tank and away from the drain. I understand you're thinking though and its good to question things.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back