220 to Waterbox 130 upgrade?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people don't consider a huge loss in volume as an upgrade. I didn't either until yesterday. When my 220 started leaking yesterday morning I started to consider my options. Get out completely? Find a 180 or 220 at a LFS, tank only? Dare I trust the stand?

So, I started shopping online before the LFS' opened. My amazingly supportive and enabling wife gave me a budget of 3k, +/- if it made sense. I checked out the Red Sea series first. Beautiful with a price to match. The Innovative Marine dropoff 70 was tempting as I'd always wanted a drop off tank. But it was also smaller than what I wanted. Then I remembered that one of my LFS usually stocked Waterbox aquariums. So I started researching those. The 130 was about as small as I was willing to go but at a price much lower than 3k. They looked good online so I sent a FB message, before they opened, asking what they had in stock. Got an immediate response that they'd be there in 10 minutes. I asked for a call as it's a good 35-40 minute drive and tolls to boot. Got a call back 15 minutes later, they had the 130 in stock, in black, and at a great price. The great price came even after I told them my current tank was leaking. So no attempt to take advantage of me. Told them I'd take it and be by later to pick up.

Now, with a plan, I was able to get the 220 stable by siphoning out about half of the water so my daughter could baby sit it. Took off with my mother-in-laws minivan to pick the tank up. Got the tank, sand, and a heater(mine were way too big) and a few extras while I was there. Verified that my Fluval SP6 would fit in the return section(barely). So, good to go.

Get home and start getting the fish ready to transfer to a 20 Brute, get heaters and power heads in all the tubs with rock. 5.5 hours of non-stop laborious work later, finally ready to have some neighborhood buddies over to move the 220 to the back lanai. 8pm, ready to get the new tank rolling!

So, this is what I am/was rolling with:
Waterbox 130.4 in Black
2 Kessil AP700's
Fluval SP6
Aquamaxx ConeS CO-2
2016 Apex
Trident
DOS
Gyre XF-250
Tunze Stream 3(2)
Mp-40
Tunze 3155 ATO
75gal garage based refugium
Kessil A380 refugium light
Rock from the 220

Current Livestock:
2 ocellaris clowns(10 years old this summer!)
2 male lyretail anthias
2 female lyretail anthias
1 Yellow eye Kole tang
1 Yellow Watchman Goby(only one I haven't seen since transfer)
1 Melanarus wrasse
1 Lubbock's Wrasse
1 Potter's Angel(My fave)
1 Blackfin McCosker's flasher wrasse
1 Royal Gramma
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Planned Livestock:
Not certain as it's already fairly full but I don't have a 75gal refugium for nothing.
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Potter's Wrasse
Labout's Fairy Wrasse
Tailspot Blenny

I'm pretty sure I can get those in, anything else would be gravy.

As for corals, I had just started adding back after beating dino's in the 220. Hopefully they survive the transfer process. I have a neon green hammer in particular that has grown quite well and an acan enchinata that has done well too. Anything after that is just frags.

First snag, the Fluval SP6 doesn't have a barb small enough for the WB plumbing. Thank God I had a Sicce Syncra 5 for water changes in the garage! Took a little work but got everything plumbed up, tank and stand in place and level, and sump in the stand. Decided to use the Gyre XF-250 to start.

Dumped in sand and placed my 2" unions down as spacers between rock and bottom. Picked a 32Gal Brute full of rock and water to be the rock supply. Turns out it was near perfect in the amount, though not what I will ultimately use. Got the rock in place and started putting old tank water into the new tank. Added in ~45gal freshly mixed water and another 20-25 gallons from the refugium and the tank was full and starting to fill the sump. Got enough water in the return section to set functionality and it was time to transfer the fish back in.

By chance, the temp was only .2F off. Not too bad. So, at 11:30 I took the lid off the 20 brute and started catching groggy fish as fast as I could. The clowns practically swam into the net. I discovered that anthias are accomplished jumpers lol! The poor melanarus wrasse was still trying to swim down into sand. Definitely glad I didn't wait until morning to move them over.

I couldn't be happier with the tank. We always loved my rimless 60 cube and this is that on steroids. My wife and kids all love it. My daughter said she remembers the 60 cube when it was full of fish and healthy, growing corals and this tank reminds her so much of the cube. That was music to my ears. I have about 18" of space between my desk and the tank which opens some options on where I put the desk now. Not nearly as crowded :).

Currently, the refugium isn't tied in. I had to cut the PVC connections when removing the old tank. I believe I got the needed plumbing parts at Lowes today. I also bought Iron piping to hang my lights from. The lights are currently sitting on 1x4's lol! Which in turn or sitting on egg crate until I get a nice acrylic lid in. That, unfortunately, looks like it will be several months, so I also picked up some window screen to go below the egg crate and ensure the fish stay in the tank. I don't love the look of the egg crate, but necessary until I get a more elegant solution in place.

So, plan is to get refugium plumbed back in today or tomorrow and back on line. I'll get the light hangers up by the end of this weekend as the hanging kits for the lights are due in on Monday.

Pics will be coming later today!

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that is crazy, always hate hearing about leaks on tanks. Just finished my first leak check yesterday actually. Good luck, although sounds like you won't be needing much of it with that kind of plan.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that is crazy, always hate hearing about leaks on tanks. Just finished my first leak check yesterday actually. Good luck, although sounds like you won't be needing much of it with that kind of plan.
Crazy thing is my 60 cube leaked from a seam just before Christmas. Thankfully nothing was in it at the time. I'm hoping I have better luck with this one. I bought the Apex LDK though as a little early warning insurance lol!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearview lid on order. Looks like it'll take a while but should be worth it.

Got what i thought were the plumbing pieces I needed. I was wrong. It seemingly can never be just one trip to the hardware store lol!

I did get most of the pieces I'll need to attach the light hanging kits to. Using 1/2" iron pipe that will be anchored to the wall behind the tank and extend over.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got what i thought were the plumbing pieces I needed. I was wrong. It seemingly can never be just one trip to the hardware store lol!

I think my current build has been three trips to Ace, one to Lowes, one to Home Depot, and an order from BRS as well. Fingers crossed that I've finally covered everything.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people don't consider a huge loss in volume as an upgrade. I didn't either until yesterday. When my 220 started leaking yesterday morning I started to consider my options. Get out completely? Find a 180 or 220 at a LFS, tank only? Dare I trust the stand?

So, I started shopping online before the LFS' opened. My amazingly supportive and enabling wife gave me a budget of 3k, +/- if it made sense. I checked out the Red Sea series first. Beautiful with a price to match. The Innovative Marine dropoff 70 was tempting as I'd always wanted a drop off tank. But it was also smaller than what I wanted. Then I remembered that one of my LFS usually stocked Waterbox aquariums. So I started researching those. The 130 was about as small as I was willing to go but at a price much lower than 3k. They looked good online so I sent a FB message, before they opened, asking what they had in stock. Got an immediate response that they'd be there in 10 minutes. I asked for a call as it's a good 35-40 minute drive and tolls to boot. Got a call back 15 minutes later, they had the 130 in stock, in black, and at a great price. The great price came even after I told them my current tank was leaking. So no attempt to take advantage of me. Told them I'd take it and be by later to pick up.

Now, with a plan, I was able to get the 220 stable by siphoning out about half of the water so my daughter could baby sit it. Took off with my mother-in-laws minivan to pick the tank up. Got the tank, sand, and a heater(mine were way too big) and a few extras while I was there. Verified that my Fluval SP6 would fit in the return section(barely). So, good to go.

Get home and start getting the fish ready to transfer to a 20 Brute, get heaters and power heads in all the tubs with rock. 5.5 hours of non-stop laborious work later, finally ready to have some neighborhood buddies over to move the 220 to the back lanai. 8pm, ready to get the new tank rolling!

So, this is what I am/was rolling with:
Waterbox 130.4 in Black
2 Kessil AP700's
Fluval SP6
Aquamaxx ConeS CO-2
2016 Apex
Trident
DOS
Gyre XF-250
Tunze Stream 3(2)
Mp-40
Tunze 3155 ATO
75gal garage based refugium
Kessil A380 refugium light
Rock from the 220

Current Livestock:
2 ocellaris clowns(10 years old this summer!)
2 male lyretail anthias
2 female lyretail anthias
1 Yellow eye Kole tang
1 Yellow Watchman Goby(only one I haven't seen since transfer)
1 Melanarus wrasse
1 Lubbock's Wrasse
1 Potter's Angel(My fave)
1 Blackfin McCosker's flasher wrasse
1 Royal Gramma
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Planned Livestock:
Not certain as it's already fairly full but I don't have a 75gal refugium for nothing.
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Potter's Wrasse
Labout's Fairy Wrasse
Tailspot Blenny

I'm pretty sure I can get those in, anything else would be gravy.

As for corals, I had just started adding back after beating dino's in the 220. Hopefully they survive the transfer process. I have a neon green hammer in particular that has grown quite well and an acan enchinata that has done well too. Anything after that is just frags.

First snag, the Fluval SP6 doesn't have a barb small enough for the WB plumbing. Thank God I had a Sicce Syncra 5 for water changes in the garage! Took a little work but got everything plumbed up, tank and stand in place and level, and sump in the stand. Decided to use the Gyre XF-250 to start.

Dumped in sand and placed my 2" unions down as spacers between rock and bottom. Picked a 32Gal Brute full of rock and water to be the rock supply. Turns out it was near perfect in the amount, though not what I will ultimately use. Got the rock in place and started putting old tank water into the new tank. Added in ~45gal freshly mixed water and another 20-25 gallons from the refugium and the tank was full and starting to fill the sump. Got enough water in the return section to set functionality and it was time to transfer the fish back in.

By chance, the temp was only .2F off. Not too bad. So, at 11:30 I took the lid off the 20 brute and started catching groggy fish as fast as I could. The clowns practically swam into the net. I discovered that anthias are accomplished jumpers lol! The poor melanarus wrasse was still trying to swim down into sand. Definitely glad I didn't wait until morning to move them over.

I couldn't be happier with the tank. We always loved my rimless 60 cube and this is that on steroids. My wife and kids all love it. My daughter said she remembers the 60 cube when it was full of fish and healthy, growing corals and this tank reminds her so much of the cube. That was music to my ears. I have about 18" of space between my desk and the tank which opens some options on where I put the desk now. Not nearly as crowded :).

Currently, the refugium isn't tied in. I had to cut the PVC connections when removing the old tank. I believe I got the needed plumbing parts at Lowes today. I also bought Iron piping to hang my lights from. The lights are currently sitting on 1x4's lol! Which in turn or sitting on egg crate until I get a nice acrylic lid in. That, unfortunately, looks like it will be several months, so I also picked up some window screen to go below the egg crate and ensure the fish stay in the tank. I don't love the look of the egg crate, but necessary until I get a more elegant solution in place.

So, plan is to get refugium plumbed back in today or tomorrow and back on line. I'll get the light hangers up by the end of this weekend as the hanging kits for the lights are due in on Monday.

Pics will be coming later today!

Bummer about your tank! Was the 220 a waterbox as well? How long did you have that tank? Looking forward to watching your new build.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about your tank! Was the 220 a waterbox as well? How long did you have that tank? Looking forward to watching your new build.

No, believe it was a Marineland. I bought it used from a reef club member in Atlanta, stored it for about a year, moved it to Florida, and finally got it set up in the fall of 2017. So, just over 2 years. Tank was obviously fine from the reef member. Maybe I just suck at leveling stands. This Waterbox looked level, stand and tank, initially but with it filled the water level looks slightly higher in the front, so I'll be adjusting the stand. At least the stand has leveling feet.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, believe it was a Marineland. I bought it used from a reef club member in Atlanta, stored it for about a year, moved it to Florida, and finally got it set up in the fall of 2017. So, just over 2 years. Tank was obviously fine from the reef member. Maybe I just suck at leveling stands. This Waterbox looked level, stand and tank, initially but with it filled the water level looks slightly higher in the front, so I'll be adjusting the stand. At least the stand has leveling feet.

We just got the Waterbox 220.6. Love Waterbox. If it's your first Waterbox, you're gonna love it too! :)

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just got the Waterbox 220.6. Love Waterbox. If it's your first Waterbox, you're gonna love it too! :)
Congrats! I almost went home with a 220 they had in the shop at Living Reef Orlando. Almost lol! I just knew I needed something smaller in my office. If it had a black stand, I would have been more tempted. Have fun filling yours up!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Trident hooked up! My alk has spiked from 9.38 to 10.31 but the corals seem to love it. Calcium had dropped to 384 so I manually dosed the calc side of my DOS into a cup with RO water and will test again at 6. Nice to have that up for tracking though. Forgot the 1" coupling so I could get the fuge up online so I'll run over tomorrow morning to grab that.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I did get most of the pieces I'll need to attach the light hanging kits to. Using 1/2" iron pipe that will be anchored to the wall behind the tank and extend over.

This is exactly how I have my light mounted over my 75g. Make sure the base plates are mounted to studs!

20200221_111955 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly how I have my light mounted over my 75g. Make sure the base plates are mounted to studs!

20200221_111955 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

Thanks for the pic! Yeah, I'm going to mount 1x4's painted black for the base plates to attach too. 1x4's will be screwed into studs so I'll have flexibility to mount the base plates.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Light hangers built.
image-jpg.1503841

I also finished the plumbing for the refugium. Letting the salt mix another 30 minutes and I’ll fill it back up and turn everything on to bring it back on line. I’m still one 3/4” elbow short, but it’s the emergency drain that needs it. Refugium will drain into the ATO space and overflow into the return section. Hopefully I can get decent flow without much, hopefully any, noise.
image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the DOS is back online. I moved it on from the garage as the noise of overflow from the ATO chamber is quite load with anything beyond a minor trickle lol! Not unexpected. I plan on getting a HOB overflow to go from the ATO chamber to the return chamber. Hopefully it'll be quiet and at least I'll have the natural overflow into the return and skimmer chambers as emergency backup in case the HOB fails me. If/when I complete that, I may move it back out.

Next up today is cleaning the skimmer and getting the light hangers mounted. First time trying citric acid vs vinegar and I'm happy with the results so far, though cerith snail eggs seem largely impervious to anything lol!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running into issues with the light hangers. We have cinder block on first floor with the furring strips and drywall. I can't find the furring strips to save my life and not sure I'd trust them anyway. Trying to use Tapcon screws but they aren't biting into the block, seemingly just stripping it. Going to try a size up screw in the holes already drilled and, if that fails, will adjust the hanger design to just attach to the side of the stand and span the aquarium.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the T section of the return line. How easy was it to remove the plug? I need to do a manifold and wondered if I could use that too but the quick glance I took the other day I wasn't sure if it was glued in. It's now packed in a moving box.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the T section of the return line. How easy was it to remove the plug? I need to do a manifold and wondered if I could use that too but the quick glance I took the other day I wasn't sure if it was glued in. It's now packed in a moving box.
Almost too easy. It may have only been hand tight! A quarter turn with a crescent that was way easy and I took it out by hand the rest of the way. 1/2" threaded fitting by the way.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, lights are hung! I might still tweak a little bit but I'm afraid to touch something that's working and has been a huge pain. I love the look. Now I'll struggle with the same thing everyone with hanging lights struggles with, cable management. I'll try to have pics up tomorrow.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back