gatohoser

gatohoser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I researched more and found it’s a bad idea to use my tap water for the reason that it’s already full of minerals which will mess up my ability to mix up my intended Brightwell Neomarine to its advertised specs. If my tap was 5 dKh and I mixed in 8 dKh worth of salt, it would likely precipitate some portion which I don’t want so I used my new booster pump Aquatec 6840 to pump the tank through the RO. It’s very very slow this way as the pressure is low but it’s saving a ton on anion resin as it’s already degassed from my high co2 well and producing at an unusually low TDS into the DI. When the tank is empty I will start filling it again with the purified water. Hope to have salt this weekend at the latest.

Also I started ordering parts for my canopy light mounting system. I’m stealing an idea from @hllb who had this great thread with parts list on how to hang radions inside a canopy. I’ll list links for my parts too if it works out. I may modify the list a bit and are lock washers and nuts to secure the screw against the Radion for extra protection. I plan to hang the radions in two alternating and overlapping rows to get the cones of light to overlap really well in both side to side and front to back directions. It may allow me to squeeze more radions in easily if I find I need more juice to up the PAR later.

I still have to figure out how to hang the reef brites but I’m not too concerned with that yet. May just be some wood screws.

Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
OP
gatohoser

gatohoser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
We are off to the races! The tank is full of RODI after running it all day Thursday and Friday off the booster pump running the old aerated tsp water and then all day Sunday off the tap which used up 3 canisters of anion resin!!! Time to build that CO2 degasser for my RO and to recharge my anion resin and reuse it.
image.jpg

i poured a whole $80 bucket of salt in and I’m at 1.019 this morning :flushed-face: time to switch to Instant Ocean lol. Nah hopefully I’m not making this much water often. I use Brightwell Neomarine. It matches my parameters pretty well.

OP
gatohoser

gatohoser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have had the tank fully running and at proper salinity since Father’s Day (6/19/22) with lights off and added the clownfish shortly thereafter with lots of media from my current display to prevent a cycle. About a week later I added the Two Spot bristletooth tang as well. All my fish have been run through a prophylactic quarantine treatment of Copper Power and then prazipro plus a course of General cure and Focus treated food. Last night after about another week, my purple and yellow tangs plus my Midas Blenny finished their course of prophylactic and so I put them in as well. At first I put them in a critter keeper weighted to the bottom of the tank but it felt silly with how few fish were in the tank so I released them so they wouldn’t be stressed in the box with no pipes to hide in which was my mistake to forget to add to it. I did this in the evening and they were able to find the bristletooth and quickly tried to join his crew but he was nervous and swatted at them for about five minutes before he chilled out and joined the crew. Now they all hang out together. I’m loving it!

The tank will continue to sit for the rest of the month and age so that I can transfer everything over and start the lights up. The canopy is still a work in progress figuring out how to mount 72” reef brites in a 72.5” canopy. It’s too tight to attach the brackets and then screw the reef brites into them since they screw from the ends. I will try rotating the bracket to attach using the other side of it to the reef brite to give more of a stand-off and allow me to screw it to the canopy that way. The light blend of a daylight reef brite to Xr15 blues to a actinic reef brite is actually great and gives a cool “fading into the depths” effect. They blend well from this 14” height.

I’ve posted this in my construction thread but I got the mixing station tanks plumbed up and are in use now as well. I have to attach the electrical panel and RODI to the wall still and move the ATO in there as well as make my kalkwasser dosing bucket.
1F8BAC5C-B5F1-4F68-AC48-D25570B5CB65.jpeg
938FF423-E92A-47BA-B594-F4C055995645.jpeg
756F6BE4-1C63-4AD2-8874-9D322EC2F25C.jpeg
8E36889A-A294-4A46-B773-5B173A55CBAA.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Operator Wrasse

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have had the tank fully running and at proper salinity since Father’s Day (6/19/22) with lights off and added the clownfish shortly thereafter with lots of media from my current display to prevent a cycle. About a week later I added the Two Spot bristletooth tang as well. All my fish have been run through a prophylactic quarantine treatment of Copper Power and then prazipro plus a course of General cure and Focus treated food. Last night after about another week, my purple and yellow tangs plus my Midas Blenny finished their course of prophylactic and so I put them in as well. At first I put them in a critter keeper weighted to the bottom of the tank but it felt silly with how few fish were in the tank so I released them so they wouldn’t be stressed in the box with no pipes to hide in which was my mistake to forget to add to it. I did this in the evening and they were able to find the bristletooth and quickly tried to join his crew but he was nervous and swatted at them for about five minutes before he chilled out and joined the crew. Now they all hang out together. I’m loving it!

The tank will continue to sit for the rest of the month and age so that I can transfer everything over and start the lights up. The canopy is still a work in progress figuring out how to mount 72” reef brites in a 72.5” canopy. It’s too tight to attach the brackets and then screw the reef brites into them since they screw from the ends. I will try rotating the bracket to attach using the other side of it to the reef brite to give more of a stand-off and allow me to screw it to the canopy that way. The light blend of a daylight reef brite to Xr15 blues to a actinic reef brite is actually great and gives a cool “fading into the depths” effect. They blend well from this 14” height.

I’ve posted this in my construction thread but I got the mixing station tanks plumbed up and are in use now as well. I have to attach the electrical panel and RODI to the wall still and move the ATO in there as well as make my kalkwasser dosing bucket.
1F8BAC5C-B5F1-4F68-AC48-D25570B5CB65.jpeg
938FF423-E92A-47BA-B594-F4C055995645.jpeg
756F6BE4-1C63-4AD2-8874-9D322EC2F25C.jpeg
8E36889A-A294-4A46-B773-5B173A55CBAA.jpeg
Great build! I might be doing something similar late next year. When you get the reefbrites mounted, I would love to see what you come up with. I'll be doing a floating Canopy with A360x and either 72" or 60" actinics.

OP
gatohoser

gatohoser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I still haven’t gotten the reef brites mounted as I was gone for a couple weeks with a tank sitter keeping my many many systems going for me… four quarantines, the 25g lagoon and this one.

Things are looking great and the fish are fat and healthy. It’s been about 6 weeks so I started the radions up for 5 hours a day. I’ll probably move the avatar chalice over after I get the alk and calcium in range. They were low befpre I left. I’ll try and get the doser set up this weekend too if I can.
D7D8F75D-6C3E-47C0-AA91-B767FC9C6777.jpeg
Quarantine is going still too with a pintail wrasse who has been fattening up for the last three weeks and just started prazipro today with copper to follow in two weeks. I picked up a trio of pyramid butterflies which are beautiful. Can’t wait to see them in the tank.
50FE94C6-23EE-482A-AF10-3338B700BD9F.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
Sea Dwelling Creatures