22gal tank cycle

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok but there isn’t anything alive in the tank yet so if the fish have any disease then it won’t kill any fish but I will quarantine any further fish that I add after them I think

The risk would be if the clowns you bring in have ich, if you weren't planning on just managing it, you would then have to move your clowns into a QT tank to treat and leave your main tank fallow for 76 days.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The risk would be if the clowns you bring in have ich, if you weren't planning on just managing it, you would then have to move your clowns into a QT tank to treat and leave your main tank fallow for 76 days.
Could i not treat the clowns in the main tank ?

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some species of snails are more likely to crawl out of tanks, like nerite's, but I've never had a trochus or astraea crawl out and nassarius will hang out in your sandbed for the most part.
Ok so does 3 Astra snails and 3 hermit crabs and one emerald crab for clean up crew sound good ?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the copper treatment required gets absorbed by rock and other equipment and then can leach over time. Will kill inverts as well.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the copper treatment required gets absorbed by rock and other equipment and then can leach over time. Will kill inverts as well.
Oh ok that’s not good I will fill up the quarantine tank and get it cycled

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m on my way to my lfs now and I’m going to get two ocellaris clowns sound good ?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so does 3 Astra snails and 3 hermit crabs and one emerald crab for clean up crew sound good ?

Do you plan on having coral? If so, I'd ditch the emerald. I get it, really cool creature, seems utilitarian, but they can also go rogue and pick at LPS and soft coral.

I'd recommend something like 5 nassarius, 3 Astrea and 2 hermits to start. You may grow to hate hermits, again, depending on if you have coral or not.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on having coral? If so, I'd ditch the emerald. I get it, really cool creature, seems utilitarian, but they can also go rogue and pick at LPS and soft coral.

I'd recommend something like 5 nassarius, 3 Astrea and 2 hermits to start. You may grow to hate hermits, again, depending on if you have coral or not.
Ok I really want coral but I also really want the emerald I will have to think about that over next week or so before I get any of either ok I hate snails but if I need them I will get them
Do I need to get any snails today ?
Mir just the clowns ?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m on my way to my lfs now and I’m going to get two ocellaris clowns sound good ?

Just make sure you get some Seachem Prime and an ammonia tag for the QT. Use your current tank water to fill the QT.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you get some Seachem Prime and an ammonia tag for the QT. Use your current tank water to fill the QT.
I have some seachem stability and a bit of colony left will that do ?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I really want coral but I also really want the emerald I will have to think about that over next week or so before I get any of either ok I hate snails but if I need them I will get them
Do I need to get any snails today ?
Mir just the clowns ?

Snails are without a doubt the most useful and least destructive member of your clean up crew. They are vital to keeping a reef tank algae free. Over time as you accumulate coral, you will probably grow to appreciate snails and go the other direction with crabs.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some seachem stability and a bit of colony left will that do ?

Use Stability and Colony with the QT, but you also want Prime on hand to neutralize any potential ammonia issues and the ammonia tag to monitor said ammonia. Prime should always be in your aquarium kit anyway.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails are without a doubt the most useful and least destructive member of your clean up crew. They are vital to keeping a reef tank algae free. Over time as you accumulate coral, you will probably grow to appreciate snails and go the other direction with crabs.
Ok I guess that’s why like every reefer has some I like the asteras shells but I will think more about snails over the next week but I will probably end up with what you recommended

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Stability and Colony with the QT, but you also want Prime on hand to neutralize any potential ammonia issues and the ammonia tag to monitor said ammonia. Prime should always be in your aquarium kit anyway.
Ok thanks

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go without snails for a bit until you see algae start accumulating, but I promise, you will end up stocking some at some point anyway and you ideally want to stay ahead of the algae and not let it overrun your tank, which can happen quickly once it takes hold.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go without snails for a bit until you see algae start accumulating, but I promise, you will end up stocking some at some point anyway and you ideally want to stay ahead of the algae and not let it overrun your tank, which can happen quickly once it takes hold.
Ok so no snail today ?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend snails, but you are fine waiting too.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing about clean up crews

some can die even with acclimation. of a set of 5 if you lost one I would not be suprised, add fish first. wait a day or two for cuc safest bet. add coral in a week, say one or two starting frags. you have no feed web established for the corals, they're likely to starve until specifics are in place, feed and water change cycles etc. fish can eat fish food

as you begin feeding for coral health, the invasions start and if you choose to leave them you wont want to be adding/growing corals among total invasion. if you choose to clean it out then have a plan for that, see it in place in threads before you set up your tank with heavy corals

a few starter frags to practice feed, and light and balance is ok here.

wait a couple days for clean up crew dont start them with fish

I dont think a dead nassarius (sp?) would harm anything but was wondering about big trochus or margaritas in case they recommended some at lfs. we didnt want a dead apple lol on day 1 along w sensitive fish

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing about clean up crews

some can die even with acclimation. of a set of 5 if you lost one I would not be suprised, add fish first. wait a day or two for cuc safest bet. add coral in a week, say one or two starting frags. you have no feed web established for the corals, they're likely to starve until specifics are in place, feed and water change cycles etc. fish can eat fish food

as you begin feeding for coral health, the invasions start and if you choose to leave them you wont want to be adding/growing corals among total invasion. if you choose to clean it out then have a plan for that, see it in place in threads before you set up your tank with heavy corals

a few starter frags to practice feed, and light and balance is ok here.

wait a couple days for clean up crew dont start them with fish
Ok I’ll do that then thanks :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back