340 Gallon Mixed Reef Build

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm very excited to say I have purchased (on back order) a Waterbox Reef LX 320! I'd be very interested to hear some gear options. My goal is a stable mixed reef (maybe slightly SPS dominated) with reduced maintenance (going to be adding an auto water change system).

I'm coming from a 75 gallon mixed reef system, so this is a big upgrade. Ultimately, I'd like to move my 75 gallon system into the new one, but I'm not entirely sure how to do this. I don't have any large colonies or anything in the 75 gallon, so my thought was to start fresh and grow out my corals some more before moving them into the new system.

In terms of gear, I'm likely going to use 4 neptune sky lights, a COR-20 return pump, a Pentair smart UV 40 Watt, and will bring my existing Apex, triton, dos (and get a second dos for the water changes), auto top off, auto feeder. Also going to bring my skimmer over (it's a nyos quantum 160, which is... too big for my 75 haha), BRS dual media reactor, etc.

Have not decided on the pumps yet, mainly because I'm not entirely sure what is needed (in terms of flow) for a mixed reef of that size. I'm definitely looking for recommendations there.

In terms of livestock, I currently have the following in my 75 gallon: sailfin tang, copperband butterfly, tassled filefish (yes, he's not reefsafe, but he's big dumb and I love him), 2 mandarin dragonets (a pair from Biota), coral beauty angelfish (also from biota), watchman goby (complete with tiger pistol shrimp), and a melanurus wrasse.
Since the display is 230 gallons, I'd like to expand the livestock. Interested in recomendations here too! Current wish list:

• moorish idol (I absolutely love this fish, and am well aware it is difficult... But want to give it a go if people have advice for this).
  • powder blue tang
  • naso tang
  • achilles tang
  • bellus angel (x2)
  • coral goby (x2)
  • clownfish (x2)
  • some type of anthias

Also no idea how to aquascape this thing. Should I use my rock from the 75, or start over?

Very excited! Let me hear your thoughts!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have existing rock that's been populated, you can move that across and basically insta-cycle the tank (you don't necessarily need any extra bacteria, but something like Bio-Spira is an option). You can also prepare any new dry rock in a tub with old tank water, filters and bacteria (along with ghost feeding) for a few weeks so it can go straight in the new tank as well. So yes, definitely use the rock from the 75 - even if it's only to jump start the new tank.

Your equipment list sounds good - but I'd look at either a second Quantum 160 or upgrade to the Quantum 220 or even Quantum 300 (I have a 160 on my 200-gallon system and it's not quite enough based on my bio load).

In terms of fish, the list looks good. I prefer dwarf angels, and if you go that route you probably don't want more than 2-3 max. Flame hawkfish, midas blenny, marine betta, melanurus, sixline and cleaner wrasses are all fish I strongly recommend along with at least 1-2 dottybacks. I have 5 anthias (lyretail, red fairy, marcia's) and 7 green chromis for the 'schooling' component in my tank. The only other fish I have not on your list are a sailfin tang and quoy parrotfish (the latter being more work, but oh so much personality).

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have existing rock that's been populated, you can move that across and basically insta-cycle the tank

Okay, that's more or less what I thought. I have rocks in the sump, too.

What about sand? I was planning to just get new sand, but am hesitant for the same reason.

upgrade to the Quantum 220 or even Quantum 300

Alright, I figured that would be the case (especially with all the fish I'll have).

In terms of fish, the list looks good.

:) Glad to hear it! I'll admit I was quite nervous mentioning my plan for an idol / achilles tang, but I think I'm up for it if I can find healthy specimens. I've read achilles tangs like a good amount of flow -- what kind of pumps would you say I should look for?

The only other fish I have not on your list are a sailfin tang and quoy parrotfish (the latter being more work, but oh so much personality).

I actually have a sailfin tang in my current system (starting to get quite fat haha). I actually worry about adding tangs to the system because of this guy -- he was really not pleasant to my copperband for the first week or so after it came into my display.

The quoy parrotfish is an interesting idea. I love the look of it. What extra work does that one require? And he won't munch on my sticks, right?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parrotfish might munch on your sticks, yes. With soft and LPS mine is basically reef-safe at this point. I have some SPS and so far he's left them all alone (including one acroj.

He scrapes rocks 24/7, loves TLF SeaVeggies (green and red) and even grinds on the overflow and return outlets (coralline is a particular favorite). At night he sleeps in a mucus sack which basically looks like someone blew their nose in the tank in the morning.

Gets along with every single fish and is definitely the king of the tank. They're also diggers, so if they want a particular sleeping spot they'll hollow it out.

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I've purchased all the gear now (thank goodness for @Bulk Reef Supply and their sales -- saved me a good $562.65).
  • 4x Neptune SKY
  • COR-20 Return Pump
  • Pentair Smart UV 40 Watt
  • 12 x Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Sand
  • Nyos Quantum 300 Protein Skimmer (thanks @blaxsun for the tip!)
  • 2 x VorTech MP60
  • 2 x 600 Watt BRS Titanium heater elements (probably overkill, but... eh). Will be controlled by the Apex
Rock is the only thing left to order, I suppose. I have some dry rock left over from my 75 that I put in a tub. Doesn't have any flow or a heater, so I should probably fix that... But hoping to get that cycling while the tank is being built (no update on when that will arrive).

To get a sense of what I'm coming from, this is my current 75 gallon system.

1637592862564.png

Those G5's aren't going to go to waste, by the way... I'm going to use them for a frag build eventually. As for why I didn't just get two new ones, I really liked the look of the SKY at when I saw it in person (photo mode is very impressive), and I had a really disappointing experience with my G5's initially (one had to be replaced not even 90 days after I got it, and I had to go several days without lights while I got it replaced by their customer support team...).

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I figured an update was long overdue.

I have all of my gear, but I do not have my tank :(. I got an email in early December from waterbox informing me that the 320.7 I ordered cannot be filled, but that I'll be getting the modified version they'll be releasing sometime this year. Not my favorite situation, but hopefully my patience will pay off.

I am also changing the plans to include "building a fish room" and setting up a water change closet + second floor office for me, so I'm happy to wait for a while on the arrival of the new system.

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I actually have things to post now! Many, many, many changes have happened since the day I purchased the system, more than a year ago.

First, I bought a new house with my wife (she was my girlfriend when I ordered this tank lol), and we're getting ready to set it up in my home office (as I have since changed to working remotely). The tank will be located on the first floor, and, since I have a basement, some reinforcing needed to be done.

1668026112645.png

1668026133158.png

Big thanks to my brother and father for the assistance with that! We think this should be sufficient for 10000 pounds, and, since the system is only 4000, my hopes are that this will suffice. I'm no structural engineer, so we'll see I guess :).

We also had to move all the livestock from the old house, and I'm really pleased to say that we didn't lose even a single coral in the process. We did get some coral on coral combat happening, and some are definitely in worse shape, but I completely expect them to pull through. Here's a fantastic pucture of them in a cooler for transport.

1668026375875.png

And, at LONG last, here's the new tank:

1668026502048.png

1668026521846.png

The next step will be to pull up the carpet in my office and replace it with a waterproof laminate floor. We've got this lined up now, so I'll post back when I have more progress to report! Really hoping to have this thing running by end of year. Super excited!

On a different note, we also have settled on the reef moonshiner method for all of our systems. So we'll be running that here as well! I even wrote an app for the method :). We've had great results so far on our 75, and have high expectations moving forward.

Since we're getting close, I'm starting to think about ordering livestock for the system. From the original list above, what do we think on the introduction order? Since a lot of them are surgeon fish, I feel like maybe adding them in batches is best? Would love some input here.

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we're a little more than a month in, and things are going pretty well! I moved the yellow tang and foxface in from my frag tank.

1674093659025.png

We've also added a couple of new fish from Fishotel.com! They fully quarantine their livestock, and so they moved right in. Very happy with my new wrasses! We got a Checkerboard wrasse and a Red head solon fairy wrasse.

1674094095868.png

1674094139632.png

We sent off an ICP-MS test (Oceamo reef moonshiner version) on december 14th, and I have done a few corrections. We filled the new system with as much of our old water as possible, but we added quite a lot of new water (obviously :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:). As such, a lot of the elements we supplement frequently were running quite low (looking at you, rubidium!). We also had quite a lot more chromium and manganese than expected, so I'm not dosing those daily for the time being. I'm expecting new ICP numbers this week, so we'll see!

If you can't tell by those pictures of the new fish, we're also dealing with cyano and dinos (because one isn't bad enough, I guess). To combat them, we started dosing some loudwolf potassium nitrate (they're out of sodium nitrate at the moment :() and sodium phosphate dibasic. That has given us some detectable nitrate and phosphates again, which is great! Dinos and cyano are receeding (you can see in the first picture from this post).

Our acros are coloring up super well, too! For example, check out the WD!

January 6th, 2023:

1674094773172.png

January 18, 2023:

1674094564957.png

Will post more once the ICP test comes back!

zcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we're a little more than a month in, and things are going pretty well! I moved the yellow tang and foxface in from my frag tank.

1674093659025.png

We've also added a couple of new fish from Fishotel.com! They fully quarantine their livestock, and so they moved right in. Very happy with my new wrasses! We got a Checkerboard wrasse and a Red head solon fairy wrasse.

1674094095868.png

1674094139632.png

We sent off an ICP-MS test (Oceamo reef moonshiner version) on december 14th, and I have done a few corrections. We filled the new system with as much of our old water as possible, but we added quite a lot of new water (obviously :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:). As such, a lot of the elements we supplement frequently were running quite low (looking at you, rubidium!). We also had quite a lot more chromium and manganese than expected, so I'm not dosing those daily for the time being. I'm expecting new ICP numbers this week, so we'll see!

If you can't tell by those pictures of the new fish, we're also dealing with cyano and dinos (because one isn't bad enough, I guess). To combat them, we started dosing some loudwolf potassium nitrate (they're out of sodium nitrate at the moment :() and sodium phosphate dibasic. That has given us some detectable nitrate and phosphates again, which is great! Dinos and cyano are receeding (you can see in the first picture from this post).

Our acros are coloring up super well, too! For example, check out the WD!

January 6th, 2023:

1674094773172.png

January 18, 2023:

1674094564957.png

Will post more once the ICP test comes back!
Looks great!

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the tank I am planning on getting. Saving for it now. You're the 1st person I have found that has it. That fairy wrasse is beautiful. I just got a Walt Disney frag from coral euphoria. Yours is looking great.

Did you plumb in a UV sterilizer? If so, how did you plumb it?

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the tank I am planning on getting. Saving for it now.

Awesome! I'm super pleased with mine. It's definitely a premium reef, and it has only exceeded my expectations thusfar.

That fairy wrasse is beautiful. I just got a Walt Disney frag from coral euphoria. Yours is looking great.

Thank you very much! Hope your frag does well for you!

Did you plumb in a UV sterilizer? If so, how did you plumb it?

Ah, this is a great question! I purchased a pentair 40 watt for the system, but I have not plumbed it in yet. As for why, it's purely because of head pressure loss. I've got a plan to deal with this, but I'm not really in a hurry to execute it. Essentially, my thought is to do dual returns in serial (to compensate for lost head pressure from the length of the tube + a the bends it will need to do), as well as a gate valve controlling a manifold to split the flow into the sterilizer, then later merge back into the main return line. Planning to add some Neptune flow monitor sensors in there so I can properly tune the flow for the sterilizer's requirements (or cut it enough should I want to use it for protozoans). This makes a lot more sense when you see it, so I'll post back with those models tomorrow ;).

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I'm super pleased with mine. It's definitely a premium reef, and it has only exceeded my expectations thusfar.

Thank you very much! Hope your frag does well for you!

Ah, this is a great question! I purchased a pentair 40 watt for the system, but I have not plumbed it in yet. As for why, it's purely because of head pressure loss. I've got a plan to deal with this, but I'm not really in a hurry to execute it. Essentially, my thought is to do dual returns in serial (to compensate for lost head pressure from the length of the tube + a the bends it will need to do), as well as a gate valve controlling a manifold to split the flow into the sterilizer, then later merge back into the main return line. Planning to add some Neptune flow monitor sensors in there so I can properly tune the flow for the sterilizer's requirements (or cut it enough should I want to use it for protozoans). This makes a lot more sense when you see it, so I'll post back with those models tomorrow ;).
Ok. Sounds good. I was considering 2 return pumps for redundancy 1 going to UV then Y junction bringing flow from both pumps together then up to tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back