60 Gallon Cube Saltwater Tanks

bwagner_vt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wonderful wife bought a new couch….so I figured I’d change out on of my freshwater 24” tank into a saltwater tank. I’ve been fairly hesitant of jumping into the saltwater world due to the higher monthly cost and worried about messing up and ruining the whole tank.

I successfully have a 180 gallon heavily planted tank, 180 gallon wild discus tank, a 60 cube African Cichlids tank and a 60 cube hybrid discus tank. The kids love the cichlid tank, I love the planted and the wild discus tank…the hybrid tank was the least favorite…so I am in the process of parting it out.

So…here I am.

I am planning on the following:

(2) canister filters: one has the heater in line, the other the uv filter

(1) 500w heater

(1) 18w UV filter

(1) Tunze 9014 DC Skimmer

(1) Vortec MP10

30lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand

Pro Reef Salt

MicroBacter Start XLM

Still trying to decide on:
Will the MP10 provide enough flow? I was going to get 2, but was on the fence of getting another MP10 or jumping up to a MP40.

BRS 55lbs Real Reef solution or start off with while rock

1-2 Kessil 360x (I have them on all my tanks now, but are the Tuna Sun not Blue) or something else completely

Is there anything else I would need to get started on cycling the tank? Any recommendations?….

I really know the canisters is not ideal. The reason for keeping the canisters…is there isn’t much room underneath to put a sump. I have the equipment already and wouldn’t need to re-plumb. It will also add a little additional flow and some bio filter. My thought was to fill the canisters with rock leftover from the build.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand - you will start skimmerless. If so - be sure that your surface aggregation is as high as possible. This will be the only interface for gas exchange in your aquarium - mainly CO2 out and O2 in. An heavily stocked reef tank is the same as a heavily planted freshwater tank. High production of O2 during day and high consumption of oxygen during night. You seem to have a huge experience in aquariums - it means that you probably is competent to go your own way. You have experiences with photosynthetic organisms (the planted tank), high pH system (the african cichlids) and tricky fish (wild Discus). Use these experiences and it will work out well. The main difference with the photosynthetic organism is that you not need to care about how much free CO2 you have. The primary source/storage for inorganic C in a reef tank is HCO3 and CO3. (as in your Cichlid tank) A normal reef tank runs between 7 - 9 dKH. This mean that you can have an huge gas exchange and still have a high growth of your photosynthetic organisms.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
bwagner_vt

bwagner_vt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, I plan on starting with a a Tunze 9014 skimmer in the tank. I greatly appreciate the feedback regarding HCO3 and CO3. After reading what you said I’ll do some additional research to make sure I’m prepared.

OP
OP
bwagner_vt

bwagner_vt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here it is…setup last week. Got a couple softies in it and a couple fish to get it going.

Ended up doing (2) MP10’s and got hold of a used AP9X.

Also got some live rock from my lps too.

601139C5-3519-4519-A182-26510217A82F.jpeg

E4C2829A-9380-48AA-A006-2102D4E88457.jpeg

OP
OP
bwagner_vt

bwagner_vt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update on my tank. I was really fortunate and member @Bailey VT was moving and was able to get a big jump start on the tank.

This is where I ended up on equipment:

Original 60Cube Tank;

(2) Eheim canister filters
500w heater
18w UV filter
Tunze 9014 DC Skimmer
(3) Vortec MP10
30lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand
Apex Netptune
Apex Trident
Apex DOS
Kessil AP9X
HOB Refugium

(3) Scissor Tail Damsel
(1) Blue Damsel
(1) Starry Benny
(1) Yellow Watchman Goby
(2) Clown Fish
(1) Scopas Tang
(1) Banner Cardinal
(1) Six Line Wrasse
(1) Pistol Shrimp
(1) Neon Dotty Back (was a hitch hiker on the live rock I purchased from my LPS)

IMG_3683.jpg
IMG_3681.jpg
IMG_3680.jpg
IMG_3672.jpg
IMG_3673.jpg

OP
OP
bwagner_vt

bwagner_vt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then things got a little crazy and I decided I really liked my reef tank...so I took down my African Cichlid tank and decided to make a second tank.
IMG_3684.jpg

Almost the same equipment as my first tank with the exceptions of only one canister filter and a different powerhead. I moved some rocks over from the first tank (bought some new live rock), and split some of the corals up.

The livestock in this tank is:
(2) Yellow Tail Blue Damsel
(1) Tailspot Benny
(1) Orange Spotted Goby
(2) Clown Fish
(1) Sailfin Tang
(1) Six Line Wrasse
(2) Pistol Shrimp
(1) Fire Shrimp
I want to add a mandarin goby...but waiting for it to get more established.

The corals are from different places. Most of the larger colonies came from Baily, but the rest are mostly from @WWC...love the coral of the month club.

IMG_3678.jpg
IMG_3677.jpg
IMG_3675.jpg
IMG_3670.jpg
IMG_3671.jpg

OP
OP
bwagner_vt

bwagner_vt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some par readings on the tanks today.
Lots of loss from front to back.

OG Tank:
Old Reef.jpg

New Tank:

New Reef.jpg

This is my schedule:
Schedule.jpg

Schedule1.jpg

Mid Day:
Mid Day 1.jpg

Late Day:
Late Day.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back