24/7 refugium lighting effect on pods and detritivores?

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does having the light on the refugium on 24/7 negativvely impact pods and other detritivores?
If so, what are the effects?
I plan to harvest a few real reef rocks and a few handfuls of live sand when I go snorkelling tomorrow and thought about this as I have Caulerpa racemosa in my refugium that's being lit 24/7.

Thanks for the help!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always enjoyed collecting at rock jetties on Gulf of Mexico coast.. I have not seen where it made any difference with lights on or off. In the wild polar regions “lights on“ last 3 months.

During the summers here, large mats of Sargassum Seaweed carry beaucoup diversity of critters up to shoreline. I have always enjoyed collecting.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can see as you mentioned pods is the reproduction of these, most pods like to come out in the dark. Maybe adding dark places could help with your pod population growing.

OP
OP
drewwCh

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always enjoyed collecting at rock jetties on Gulf of Mexico coast.. I have not seen where it made any difference with lights on or off. In the wild polar regions “lights on“ last 3 months.

During the summers here, large mats of Sargassum Seaweed carry beaucoup diversity of critters up to shoreline. I have always enjoyed collecting.
Wow 3 months! Thanks for the info

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back