240 Gallon Reef, Experienced Reefer Eyes help us get better!

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
240 Gallon Reef Video

Above is a closer look at our fledgling reef. We know there is an Aiptasia issue at the moment and an order for Berghia Nudibranchs is in.

Currently pushing a cyanobacteria bloom out and I think I almost have it licked.

We have a few coral colonies that we are trying to get to thrive and a couple that we are trying to help recover (like my Acans who have taken the brunt of our newb idiocy...it is paled out and receded...I am hopeful that it is recovering)

Coral colors are troubling as they have gone a bit brown but I think as long as they are healthy, I can work on the colors when the rest of the issues are stabilized.

Taking a look at the video link above, any insights at first glance from you experienced reefer folks?

Thank you for being a great community,
Cheers!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
240 Gallon Reef Video

Above is a closer look at our fledgling reef. We know there is an Aiptasia issue at the moment and an order for Berghia Nudibranchs is in.

Currently pushing a cyanobacteria bloom out and I think I almost have it licked.

We have a few coral colonies that we are trying to get to thrive and a couple that we are trying to help recover (like my Acans who have taken the brunt of our newb idiocy...it is paled out and receded...I am hopeful that it is recovering)

Coral colors are troubling as they have gone a bit brown but I think as long as they are healthy, I can work on the colors when the rest of the issues are stabilized.

Taking a look at the video link above, any insights at first glance from you experienced reefer folks?

Thank you for being a great community,
Cheers!

Tank looks great! Love the fish you have!

The only thing I see could be your lighting being too white, but you may have adjusted them to white for the video.

It does look very young. Takes time.

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! Love the fish you have!

The only thing I see could be your lighting being too white, but you may have adjusted them to white for the video.

It does look very young. Takes time.

Thank you for the compliment. This is probably the most thought out fish stocking that I have ever put together lol

What would you suggest for light settings? Any help there is greatly appreciated

Cheers!

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting i would change. Although i even use white lights during the day due to it growing corals better. But in thr evening i turn the whites off and leave my blue t5s on then flip to blue leds late at night for the (glowy corals)

Its your tank so i wont say what i like or dont like. I dont like offending people.. no one these days can handle critics

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting i would change. Although i even use white lights during the day due to it growing corals better. But in thr evening i turn the whites off and leave my blue t5s on then flip to blue leds late at night for the (glowy corals)

Its your tank so i wont say what i like or dont like. I dont like offending people.. no one these days can handle critics

Oh, I won't get offended by constructive criticism or opinion.

At the moment, my lights ramp up to a peak 75% Blue, 50% White, 50% red, 15% green

I have a maxspect razor lex and 3 current usa reef leds for coverage

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At the moment, my lights ramp up to a peak 75% Blue, 50% White, 50% red, 15% green

That should be okay, but I would take the reds down quite a bit to 10-15%.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well in that case. I dont like some of the fish. Like big irange anthias they look like gold fish to me and make a tank look like a fresh water tank. The rock wall is meh as well.

I think everykne does that in luding me in the beggining. But i would change the rocks completetly.. instead of making one thin continuious wall. Stack the rocks into columns in some spots

Id also look into larger rocks. Like the big 12 inch ones. You can buy them on amazon. I have 3 or so large 40 lbs or so rocks and it gives it a nice look over 100 of the same 4 or 5 inch rocks just layed on top into a wall.

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be okay, but I would take the reds down quite a bit to 10-15%.

I get worried i have too much light for some areas...my 2 rose bubble tip anemones bleached out a bit and turned really pink and white. I have started more consistent direct feedings in hopes they will color back up. :(

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in that case. I dont like some of the fish. Like big irange anthias they look like gold fish to me and make a tank look like a fresh water tank. The rock wall is meh as well.

I think everykne does that in luding me in the beggining. But i would change the rocks completetly.. instead of making one thin continuious wall. Stack the rocks into columns in some spots

Id also look into larger rocks. Like the big 12 inch ones. You can buy them on amazon. I have 3 or so large 40 lbs or so rocks and it gives it a nice look over 100 of the same 4 or 5 inch rocks just layed on top into a wall.

Michelle dislikes the Anthias as well :D

And one of the reasons for the rock wall is the center overflow which i both love and hate. It is a bit more 3d in person but I do understand your point.

I will look into your suggestions for the next tank I set up (it's gonna be a species ribbon eel tank).

Cheers

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this part. Id remove this whole bridge center section. And leave the far right and left like it is. That thick rock column like thing on the right and left especially looks nice. i would have the left seperated completetly from the rest of the rocks. Itd look better in my opinion.

Id also try to stack or stuff more rocks in where the overflow is to hide it better. And make it seem less thinly stacked.
20200929_210726.jpg

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200929_211219.jpg
20200929_211244.jpg
20200929_211231.jpg
20200929_211249.jpg

A few more pics of the "Great Wall" :p

I will look at making some changes :)

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks in the center of your tank by the overflow. They are tilted like this / stack them flat so it hides more of the black overflow. Use the rocks if you remove where i circled to stack on top as i know taking the slanted rocks flat will shorten the rock wall on the overflow.

Basically stack the rocks like bricks on the overflow hide as much as you possibly can. And create (island pillars) like i said that far left pillar would look really nice if seperated completetly

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,first glance,do not see coralline growth,check cal alk phos,besides that..looks great :cool:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back