240G Aquarium on Main Floor

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225g I planned on placing on the main here:

27F6FBD6-68B0-4A02-907B-295396BB2FE2.jpeg

I was certain it wouldn’t be an issue but someone convinced me to have a structural engineer take a look. Glad I did. Structural engineer stated unequivocally it would be an issue. Maybe in months, maybe years, but it would eventually cause structural damage.

Based on his advice I had this installed:

39FD15EC-80D5-4DBD-B55C-30E0D9AFF568.jpeg

It was costly and a little bit of a PITA…but given the investment in my home and this tank, well worth the peace of mind. I sleep much better knowing this is certified to handle the load by a structural engineer

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225g I planned on placing on the main here:

27F6FBD6-68B0-4A02-907B-295396BB2FE2.jpeg

I was certain it wouldn’t be an issue but someone convinced me to have a structural engineer take a look. Glad I did. Structural engineer stated unequivocally it would be an issue. Maybe in months, maybe years, but it would eventually cause structural damage.

Based on his advice I had this installed:

39FD15EC-80D5-4DBD-B55C-30E0D9AFF568.jpeg

It was costly and a little bit of a PITA…but given the investment in my home and this tank, well worth the peace of mind. I sleep much better knowing this is certified to handle the load by a structural engineer
That's exactly where my 180 sat with no reinforcement. I think one thing we have to consider is if you pay a structural engineer for advise and he says Na it's all good go ahead with no reinforcement and it fails then they can be held responsible. So being the realist I am I believe they are going to reccomend reinforcement to be safe if for no other reason than to cover their own butt. Nothing wrong with being cautious but I would just biuld a beam if I wasn't sure rather than pay someone to tell me I need a beam and add an addition expense to the already expensive project. JMO

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Makes me feel alot better. I cannot afford hiring someone. The posts I have are actually rated for 11,800lbs and I'm going to sister the joints as well.
Can you afford something going wrong? If in doubt, save up for a bit and bring in a professional.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t afford to hire someone to make sure your house doesn’t collapse? You do realize that you are looking at 10k at least for equipment for a tank that large

OP
OP
Bhorsky

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t afford to hire someone to make sure your house doesn’t collapse? You do realize that you are looking at 10k at least for equipment for a tank that large
I already have all the equipment I'm transferring tanks. I also already have all the tools and equipment required for reinforcing the floor. My 90 is going into the 240, I have 150g of distilled water ready with required salinity, heaters, my 90 will be the sump in the basement running a multi level setup. Looking at less than 1k. My tank is already established. I also have lighting.

OP
OP
Bhorsky

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dumb and forgot my best friend also builds houses for a living and is a professional carpenter. He has assured me, as the rest of you have, that 6x6 with all those posts are above and beyond considering its on a load bearing wall. 1 4x4 beam with 2 poles rated at 11,800lbs on each corner of tank will suffice.

I also have home insurance which covers water damage from Aquariums.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back