240Gal FOWLR to Reef Transformation/build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by LagunaGlide, Dec 21, 2017.

1. LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide Active Member

I managed to pick up a running system that includes a 240Gal tank, Stand, Wet/dry sump with bio balls, Fish, Rock, Sand, Light etc. for a really good price. It's safe to say I paid for the fish and got the rest free. I will be moving the tank the week after Christmas. I intend to reinforce the current stand and clean everything up before putting the fish back in.

Current live stock includes a Purple tang, a large Sailfin tang, yellow tang, pair of black and white clowns, an ocellaris clown, an urchin, a very big domino damsel, and a blue and yellow damsel. I intend to keep the tangs and the clown pair.

I intend to use this thread to log and share my progress as I turn this system into a Reef system. As well as ask questions and opinions along the way.

So enough babble for now here are some pics

Tank B4 pickup (17).jpeg

Tank B4 pickup (14).jpeg

Tank B4 pickup (15).jpeg

Tank B4 pickup (13).jpeg

scotturban54 and GoVols like this.
    Tags:

2. sneub

sneub Active Member R2R Supporter

Following

GoVols likes this.
  3. GoVols

GoVols VFL R2R Supporter MTRCMember R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks for starting your build thread and it's a nice setup.

Might want to dump the bio-balls for a reef tank because they can spew nitrates back into the open water column.

sneub likes this.
  4. LagunaGlide

The plan once it goes reef is to have a large sump located in another room in the basement.

GoVols likes this.
  5. LagunaGlide

So here goes my first round of questions. The move is taking place 28th-30th and then getting the tank and stand cleaned and set back up.

The tank currently has a blue back ground that has a lot of flakes and chips in it. I assume it is paint. What is safest and best way to remove what is there currently? What type of coating works best and application method when putting on new background color.

I intend to check the seam seals in the tank while it is empty. As well as the sealing on the overflows. I am curious if it is wise to go ahead and replace bulkhead seals now since I don't know the age of the tank or said seals.

Lastly how do I store the sand while all this tank maintenance is going on? I am worried about too much die off, and also releasing bad gasses into the new tank when I go to put the sand back in.

sneub likes this.
  6. LagunaGlide

Day 1 of the move was a success of sorts. It seemed as if things were going to go really smooth, but I soon realized I greatly underestimated how much space I would need just to move the rock. So I loaded up everything I had with rock and water and made trip 1 back to the house. I unloaded and got holding setups ready for when I brought the fish back. Catching the fish was way easier than I expected it to be. The only issue was the large black domino damsel. I started at about 9:45am and finally got home for good at 6pm. The fish are not looking so good. The ones I was most concerned with keeping healthy the Purp tang and Sailfin are looking really bad. Hopefully everyone makes it through the night. If so they are going to a fellow local reefer who will be housing them in his QT while I get things set up here.

The tank is a mess... I failed to keep the stupid bio balls wet, so I am thinking about just ditching that now. The plumbing for the return lines goes up through the second holes in each side of the overflows, and it appears they are glued the entire way, so I am likely going to have to cut it out and redo it. Those two things combined really make me think it would be best to ditch the wet/dry now.

On a good note there is a decent amount of "life" on the rocks. Lots of different types of sponges and such. Going to let the rock cure while I get this thing sorted back out.

Here come the questions. Main concern currently is plumbing. The tubes going to the sump look to be 1.5 or 2 inch on each side. There are two other holes one in each corner overflow that are currently the returns and look to be 1". I am thinking I would like to run new return lines that are not in the overflow. What type of setup can I run for the drain with what is currently there? Next involves the sump. Opinions on the bio ball situation appreciated. With the way things are right now I am planning to put the system back up with no sand for awhile. It will remain a FOWLR for a few months. Can I just run a normal sump with some rock and a return? Will that be enough filtration?

sneub likes this.
  7. LagunaGlide

Well the first casualty happened over night, and was suprisingly the large black domino damsel. Everyone else is still moving. They don't look all that great, but made the night. Hoping to get them moved into this QT tank ASAP. I really don't want to lose the tangs. Any loss sucks, but losing such big beautiful fish would suck.

My Ro/Di unit arrived yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to crack it open. Very nice looking equipment. Can't wait to get it set up.

image2.jpeg image1 (2).jpeg

sneub likes this.
  8. LagunaGlide

Another update for the day. The tank is in the house, and the real fun is about to begin. Still not sure which direction to go with the plumbing, but I guess I'll get there.

I moved all the fish to a tank that a friend has set up as a QT usually. He offered initially, and I was not happy with how they were looking here in the tubs. They are doing well. He sent me pics and everyone is getting back to colored up nicely. We put the urchin and the 2 blue and yellow damsels in a new tank that he recently cycled for his new setup.

IMG_0307.jpg IMG_6308.JPG IMG_6309.JPG IMG_6310.JPG IMG_6311.JPG

WWIII likes this.
  9. LagunaGlide

The last couple days I have gotten up a few hours early to put in some work. Over the time I have given the tank an initial cleaning. Scraped off the blue on the back wall of the tank. Successfully removed all of the plumbing and bulkheads. Inspected the caulk in the tank which looks to be good. Pulled up the carpet, carpet pad, and carpet tack strips in the area where the tank will sit to prepare for different flooring. Today I patched some cracks and the holes left behind in the concrete from the carpet tack strips, and started to remove the carpet glue from the concrete.

The friend who is keeping my fish decided to put them into one of his tanks that has cycled and been ready for fish, but he hasn't gotten around to it. While I admit they look healthy and good in his tank; he better be able to get them back out....

And some pics!

Cleaning (1).jpg

Cleaning (2).jpg

Cleaning (3).jpg

Carpet up.jpg

IMG_6317.JPG

IMG_6318.JPG

IMG_6319.JPG

10. cycled123

cycled123 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Tank looks nice! And you have a very nice friend to hold onto your fish so you can take your time. What kind of floor are you going to put in? Is your concrete level? It might be good idea to level it out while it is open if not. It would make it much easier to level the tank

11. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Beautiful fish, should be a great tank when you get it done too! Jealous of the size and space you have for it.

LagunaGlide likes this.
  12. LagunaGlide

I am putting down an epoxy over the concrete for the floor. It is level currently, so just have to fill some cracks and get it cleaned properly.

cycled123 likes this.
  13. cycled123

cycled123 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Epoxy is nice over concrete :)

14. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

I would do herbie overflow setup on the tank. A siphon with gate valve in each overflow and a trickle drain with no valve in each. That is if you don't mind the returns coming over the top or drilling for them. If you don't want the returns coming over the top, I have my 200dd with corner overflows setup with siphon in both, trickle in one, and a single return in the other. This setup is very, very quiet. While it's not quite as good as a beananimal, we do what we can with only 2 holes in each overflow.

Congrats on the tank! Very nice your friend was able to hold the fish for you so you can take your time. I'm sure they are much better off in a stable, cycled tank!

LagunaGlide likes this.
  15. LagunaGlide

yungreefer2410 likes this.
  16. LagunaGlide

Been awhile since I posted updates. Since the last update I have finished the floor. Ended up going with a wood laminate. Had intended to epoxy over the concrete, but once the carpet was up there was an expansion joint that ran the length of the area, and was not perpendicular to the wall (6in difference in distance from wall from end of room to other). Patching it like a crack was not a good option, so I had to go a different route. I started on the stand, and the frame is almost finished. I picked up some barrels for my water storage and hooked up Ro/Di system. This coming week things should be moving along nicely, and being off for 4 days starting saturday should have this thing filled by next week.

Floor.jpg

Stand in progress.jpg

Barrels.jpg

image1 (2).jpeg

17. LagunaGlide

I have 4 days off coming up. Saturday-Tuesday. Hoping to have this thing holding water and watching for any cycle. My lights have arrived, I got my Tub sump currently full of liverock. Should be an eventful 4 days.

18. LagunaGlide

So a good bit has happened so far. The stand has been skinned and stained. I have collected what I hope is all the plumbing, painted the wall behind where the tank is going. The tank has been cleaned completely, painted and ready to go. Hoping tomorrow I can get some help to move this monster onto the new stand. Will be putting the top coat on the stand first thing in the AM. Then tank on stand and plumbing.

I made this cardboard mock up of the tank dimensions for the upcoming rockscape.
    cardboard.jpg

Here is the tank all skinned and trim being applied. The wall has it's new paint, and the boxes are where I am cutting through the wall for plumbing and electrical. Will be hidden under the stand.
    stand in progress (1).JPG

Stand is stained and drying. Came out decent I think. Ignore those wife project things...
    stand in progress (3).jpg

The clean tank in all it's glory with the new black back. Looks good.
    stand in progress (5).jpg

Thought I would throw in a pic of my sump behind the wall. 110Gal tub. More to come in that guy.
    sump.JPG

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  19. LagunaGlide

Well I haven't posted in awhile, but I have been busy! Since my last update the tank made it's way to the stand, and plumbing completed. In fact as of yesterday water has been flowing through the system. Rockscape has been "finished" and I have started to put sand in. All is moving in the right direction. I ordered some new more powerful powerheads which will arrive today. Should have the rest of the sand after work. Since the rock has been in the sump for some time now I have been testing the water and there was definitely a cycle. Once the sand is in I will watch for another cycle, and then bring my fish home finally.
    Sump and plumbing
    IMG_6514.jpg
    Ro/Di and water storage
    IMG_6515.jpg
    Current state of the tank and rock
    IMG_6525.jpg

20. LagunaGlide

Been some progress since my last update. The sump now holds some chaeto, and a light for it. The yellow tang and 3 clowns are in the tank. Put them in on Saturday and everyone is healthy and happy currently. Planning to put the sailfin and purple tangs in Wednesday or Thursday. I also built a stand for my hospital tank and coral QT tank. Needs to be painted still. Pics coming soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted