240L Divider in wall Tank - Going to need lots of help and ideas

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
240 Gal Through wall Build, Need some help and Ideas!

I want this to be Super easy to Maintain (Automatic Everything i can get)
and Very Low Power! Im not scared of doing solar tubes either if you think They will work in St Louis

So this is the plan 240G From Glass Cages

Aquarium: 240 Long 96 x 24 x 25 Tall for $919
Starphire on FRONT & REAR panel for $368
Reef-ready addition: 2 overflow(s) with 2 holes/o.v. for $150
4 bulkheads for $60
Acrylic covers for $70

What about the glass tops??

*Id like to order the tank ASAP - But need your guys thoughts on over flows - I believe the tank is Euro Braced. Ideally Id like Wall to wall overflows on each of the 24" side walls. From the inside of the house they would be covered behind drywall*

Ok Before I start asking anymore about Equipment This Will Likely be a FOWLR for now till i get this all figured out

I have two Major Concerns the DT will be in the wall with viewing from both rooms! NO SIDE viewing putting the Sump in the basement. So What about a pump that's efficient to pump the water back up about 8ft???

The Next major Concern Is the Display Tank Will see Temp swings from 45-50 upto 100F. The tank is going to sit in the garage (Already heated and cooled) with the front of the tank facing inside the house. The sump will be in the basement so that should cool the water down in the summer

DSC_0239_zps9ubvdvyx.jpg

DSC_0238_zps6prougix.jpg

DSC_0241_zpsj3apkvmy.jpg

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few freshwater tanks as a kid and I had a 55 Saltwater for a bit about 15 years ago, So really new to all this. I'm wanting to get the tank order What do you guys think about the overflows at the ends? Should I get this style or edge to edge (They want a few more dollars for edge to edge )

overflow_fig2.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh cool! Can't wait to start on my basement build this spring!

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I got the tank ordered should be here first week in Feb! Have a lot to do still, That wall is a load bearing wall so I need to put a header in there next, Will post pictures of the progress.Next im going to have to start looking at sumps

Has anyone used the seamless sumps by custom aquariums or any recommendations?

How come I don't see alot of people using external skimmers?

TCFletch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing wrong with external skimmers. Maybe just a little noisier. Can you find an external big enuf for your setup? Where's your stand?

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little done today. Built temp working platform over the stairs and a temp wall to support the load bearing wall between the garage and living room. The wall on the inside is about 10ft so the tank will take up about the whole wall
Tearing up the new house its not even a year old yet!

Going to get some MR Drywall and the Fiberglass restaurant kitchen stuff tomorrow and some more supplies. May also tackle the header too

After i get the opening done ill be starting the stand

DSC_0256.JPG DSC_0254.JPG 1452914592902.jpg

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dstienmann I am planning on a 100gal in wall build myself. I may start my build thread today. It's gonna be a long build and progress slow. Any way we should bounce ideas off each other along the way of our builds. I was a carpenter and high end custom cabinet maker in my past life, so feel free to ask plenty of questions if you need help. Looks like you have a great start. My tank is going into a pantry, sump in the basement. Keep progress moving I will be following your build.

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked on it a little more over the weekend. Got the wall back up have to size the opening on the inside of the house for the drywall to hide the edges of the tank, going to try and finish that up today and throw down some drywall tape and mud going to do 2 coats and then Im going to cover that wall in stone. that should wrap of the inside mess.

I Have no idea what equipment i have to run yet or how it all gets connected to the controller. I thinking apex but haven't really looked to far into that yet. I quickly looked up how the apex controls everything and it looks like it can control it through a power bar, So I ran 4 independent circuits up to the canopy that I can tie into that bar to shut off and on the lights and what not (Was think 4 should be plenty Daytime lights and nighttime lights and a circuit for power heads and a wave maker or Whatever I may need) I also Ran 4 Cat6 runs to the canopy as well in case the controller can control something that way also or a camera up top in there too.

And I ran an outlet under the tank for lighting (This will most likely be more storage for the garage under there) DSC_0263.JPG DSC_0266.JPG DSC_0268.JPG DSC_0258.JPG DSC_0270.JPG DSC_0274.JPG DSC_0278.JPG DSC_0276.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice work!

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck of a garage already, excited to see your build!
Thanks I still need to do the floor out there still, Wanting to do an epoxy where you dump a second color on top and it should look like liquid metal, Heres a few older pics, before I removed the entry door installed a full view glass door

20150920_182235.jpg

20150920_182306.jpg

20150920_182607.jpg

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys see anything Im missing for power or data or whatever else in the canopy? Before I finish up the drywall inside this evening. Everything else will be in the sump room in the basement

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished up the drywall and stand the last two days, Ive ordered the stone for inside the house. Going to try and wrap the top part of the wall today with FRP where the canopy will be and finish the electrical up top. Then I guess im starting the sump room next. I've spent about 3500 just on the tank, stand, and wall and a few materials for the sump room. The sump room will take me awhile so that should give me sometime to get some more money for this project :( Tank will be here Feb 6 or 7th

Im putting in a sink in the garage and one in the sump room. Im planning on putting a floor drain in the sump room along FRP panels

1453265021145.jpg

DSC_0280 (1).JPG

DSC_0292.JPG

DSC_0288.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm jealous...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great! Is this in your garage? I'm jealous!

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the Canopy side is the garage.
Well I think I killed my Dyson after using it like a shop vac for the past few days, SO I had to buy a real shop vac this weekend. Got the floor drain in and slopped the floor don't have a pic of that yet. And remembered this morning I forgot the sink drain, not that big of a deal but its a huge mess to cut that concert floor dry.

DSC_0296.JPG

DSC_0299.JPG

DSC_0301.JPG

DSC_0302.JPG

DSC_0312.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice work!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back